PDA

View Full Version : 1984

northorbitranger
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
The following line occurs in 1984:

'Syme despised him and slightly disliked him'

When I first read that line I thought it was a misprint. But I have seen it in subsequent editions. Does anyone understand this line, or is it an Orwell error?

happypidgeon
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm no expert, and I'm currently in the middle of the book (great so far!), but it sounds like Orwell was just having a little trouble fitting everything he wanted to say into one coherent sentence. Sounds to me like "despised" and "slightly disliked" both refer to the feelings Syme has toward the subject. Initially, it sounds redundant (if not downright contradictory), but the different parts of the sentence could easily refer to different aspects of the subject's character. Taken as a single sentence in of direct context with the novel and seperate from any surrounding text, the "despised" seems to refer more to feelings against the total brainwashed mind-set of the subject. "Slighty disliked", therefore, may be more in reference to the man himself and his personality. That's my take, anyhow.

~Kris

Rellehhpesoj
11-15-2002, 11:55 AM
He seems pretty aware of what he is doing

Shuai
02-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Wow. Isn't this fantastic. We have a forum dedicated to George. When does Dumas get his own forum? ;)

Admin
02-08-2003, 01:12 AM
When Dumas becomes the most popular author on this site. ;)

02-09-2003, 06:15 PM
i dont think that i get the story ......i love it , but i still dont think that i get it. :-? anyone wish to ex. in simple terms.

02-12-2003, 04:47 AM
Hm... this is tricky. Perhaps Orwell intended Syme to have some characteristics of doublethink (i.e. the acceptance of contradictory statements), but that's just my guess.

Shuai
02-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Damn you Admin! Damn you and your logical, down to Earth reasonings! I want a Dumas Forum!!! :evil:

Oops... lost the happy. But now, the happy's back! 8)

AvaJo
03-31-2003, 02:49 AM
I am pretty sure that Goerge Orwell knew what he was doing when he wrote the book