PDA

View Full Version : CHAPTER III. of leo Tolstoy title CHRISTIANITY MISUNDERSTOOD BY BELIEVERS.

Kgosi Gagosi
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Hello, I have just registered in the discussion forum. Sorry if my sound out of date.

CHRISTIANITY MISUNDERSTOOD BY BELIEVERS.

"The Church, as an institution which asserted that it possessed infallible truth, did not make its appearance singly; there were at least two churches directly this claim was made.
While believers were agreed among themselves and the body was one, it had no need to declare itself as a church. It was only when believers were split up into opposing parties, renouncing one another, that it seemed necessary to each party to confirm their own truth by ascribing to themselves infallibility. The conception of one church only arose when there were two sides divided and disputing, who each called the other side heresy, and recognized their own side only as the infallible church.
If we knew that there was a church which decided in the year 51 to receive the uncircumcised, it is only so because there was another church--of the Judaists--who decided to keep the uncircumcised out.
If there is a Catholic Church now which asserts its own infallibility, that is only because there are churches--Greco- Russian, Old Orthodox, and Lutheran--each asserting its own infallibility and denying that of all other churches. So that the one Church is only a fantastic imagination which has not the least trace of reality about it."

Surely the above is a direct challenge to my believe system. Based on the above, what can a man do to attain eternity, because Christian Churches carryout all the external ceremonies prescribed by the church doctrine to attain eternity. How do continue worshipping without belonging to any Church or creed.

Kgosi