PDA

View Full Version : Travelling...

jane-charlotte
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
To introduce myself officially, I must begin ironically by saying I will be away soon. In the next few weeks, I get the extreme pleasure of being able to travel to England to have a literary tour. What an exciting thing!!! We'll be everywhere, or at last in as many places as possible: Salisbury (inside the stone circle, how lucky can I get!), Lake District, Nottingham, London, Yorkshire...I am thrilled.
By the way, I am a English major, 3rd year and love it--with secret aspirations for grad school and further...I was exstatic to find this forum since it is so good to converse and discuss with like-minded folk who love literature.
But back to England, more interesting is the connection between place and prose. How do they translation and influence each other? Which comes first? Which is better? Can one be better? Imagination vs. reality...
I'd be interested to hear other thoughts about the influence of the actual place on a reader and on a writer. If I go to the Lake district does that help or deter the power of say the poetry of Coleridge?
Is imagination hindered?
Of course, I don't think so, otherwise I wouldn't be going...but it is an interesting question none the less...

Niamh
05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
I hope you get to go to Lincoln when you are in england. Its beside Nottingham and is the home of Tennyson. One of the most beautiful places in the world!

Nightshade
05-05-2007, 07:08 PM
:wave: hello