PDA

View Full Version : hardy influencing rowling?

dustybertram
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Has any one noticed in Thomas Hardy's Mayor of Casterbridge that the word Dumbledore and Hagrid are used in the same sentence. If any one wishes to check this it's near the beginning of a chapter on page 100 of the penguin edition (in UK). Also just started reading The return of the native and there's another character called Diggory. Now any Harry Potter fan will recognise this as well - coincidence?

dustybertram
05-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Another one to add - Diggory venn from Return of the native - like cedric diggory. Does this woman get names from elsewhere ... well I guess she must...

Lote-Tree
05-16-2007, 12:17 PM
does it matter?

dustybertram
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Thank you for your most interesting response, I do believe that if you have nothing of interest to add that your time would be better used not typing anything.

Dary
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
How on earth did you come up with all those names for people, food, spells, games, and animals?
"Some of the names are invented, but I also collect unusual names and words and use them where they fit. For example, Malfoy and Voldmort are invented names. Dumbledore, on the other hand, is an Old English word meaning bumblebee. Hagrid, who by the way is one of my favorite characters, also comes from an Old English word -- hagridden -- meaning having a nightmarish night. I take names from places too. Dursley is a place in Britain as is Snape. Hedwig was a saint. The word for non-magic humans, muggles, is a twist on the English word mug, which means easily fooled. I made it into muggles because it sounds gentler. Proper, good wizards are quite fond of muggles and treat them in a kindly way."

SO WHERE WERE WE? OH YEAH.... DOES IT REALLY MATTER? ;)