PDA

View Full Version : Was Iago cuckolded?

Lamiq
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Was Iago cuckolded?
Emilia says several things that seem to allude to it, but I haven't read or heard anything about the matter...
For example when Desdemona ask Emilia whether she would "do such a deed for all the world", Emilia says " I would not do such a thing for a joint ring, nor for measures of lawn , nor for a gown, petticoats, nor caps, nor any petty exhibitions. But for all the whole world...who would not make her husband a cuckold? I should venture purgatory for it.."
She also says later that "It is their husbands fault if wives do fall"

"Say that they slack their duties and pour our treasure into
foreign laps;Or else break out in peevish jealousies,
throwing restraint upon us: or say they strike us.."

"The wives have sense like them....What is it that they
do.. when they change us for others?....And have we not
affections?Desires for sport?and frailty as men
have?....The ills we do their ills instructs us..."

I think she is actually presenting the case for having cuckolded her husband...and the reasons she gives are true in the behavior of Iago towards her... Or am I being too presumptuous :D

aeroport
04-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, as you say, it does seem rather implicit, but there is nothing in the text to decide, unquestionably, that she has. I think how one sees this contributes a little to how one interprets Iago as well, because he does mention the possibility (I believe it's in that first speech in which he talks about what he will do to Othello) as another sort of justification for what he's about to do; but for me it comes off as Iago just searching for a reason - it is, after all, only a rumor.

RobinHood3000
05-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Iago may conceivably have been cuckolded (he's a bit of a wanker to begin with, I can't see how Emilia would be happy) - I find it considerably less compellling that Othello was one of the recipients of Emilia's...good will.

Virgil
05-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Iago may conceivably have been cuckolded (he's a bit of a wanker to begin with, I can't see how Emilia would be happy) - I find it considerably less compellling that Othello was one of the recipients of Emilia's...good will.

Wanker? What's a wanker? And whatever that is, does that mean only wankers can get cuckold? ;)

aeroport
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Wanker? What's a wanker? And whatever that is, does that mean only wankers can get cuckold? ;)

Oh, Virgil... I am tempted not to explain, in the interest of preserving your "innocence"... :D
Your generation probably has a much more amusing word for it, though.

Lamiq
05-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I dont think Emilia likes Othello....she is very anti Othello...probably with the large majority who cant deal with a white lady marrying a black man...

Also when Iago thinks of reasons to justify his revenge, I don't think he is really suspecting a affair between Emilia and Othello.....I think he just made it up and was actually considering the merit of having a wife who would cuckold him with Othello...Which is the exact evil of him....He might take relish the fact that his wife might provide him with an excuse to carry out his revenge plans...

Iago is scary sick....Not weird sick...therefore he cannot be...a wanker..which is just weird....and freaky...:sick:

ps: Virgil....you seem to all over here....do you check each and every thread?:)

MrD
02-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Iago says in one of his soliloquises that he wishes to become "even" with Othello where their wives are concerned and this could be taken as Iago thinking Othello has been at his wife.

kelby_lake
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I think it's just an excuse for Iago to hate Othello.
And I reckon Emilia possibly wants to have an affair, because it doesn't seem like she's getting much from Iago...

Virgil
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I never did learn what a wanker is. :confused:

Janine
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I never did learn what a wanker is. :confused:

Virgil, my friend,.... you just have not seen enough British films! :lol:

Virgil
09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Virgil, my friend,.... you just have not seen enough British films! :lol:

:lol::lol: Well where do I go to look this up? Now I'm really curious.

wessexgirl
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
:lol: I'm trying to think of a euphemism which you may get Virgil! I don't know what the common term is in the US, but I believe that the word "jerk" may help. :blush:

Virgil
09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
:lol: I'm trying to think of a euphemism which you may get Virgil! I don't know what the common term is in the US, but I believe that the word "jerk" may help. :blush:

Jerk? Lots of people are jerks. I would think Iago is more than just a jerk. ;)

Il Penseroso
09-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I think jackass when I hear wanker.

Scheherazade
09-29-2008, 04:13 PM
:lol::lol: Well where do I go to look this up? Now I'm really curious.Virgil, I think it's time you got acquainted with urbandictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/).

:p

Janine
09-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Scheherazade, that pretty much sums it up. :lol: I actually thought it was something much worse. Thanks for that Urbandictionary site. Virgil should enjoy that very much.

Virgil
09-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Virgil, I think it's time you got acquainted with urbandictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/).

:p
Thanks. ;)

I kind of got a kick out of this example tey gave:

He lost both of his hands in a childhood kiting accident.
What a wanker!
:lol: