PDA

View Full Version : Essay help

techboid
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
2. In the beginning of the novel Nick says, “Gatsby turned out all right in the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men” (Fitzgerald 5). Explain what Nick means and then tell if you agree or disagree using examples from the text. Who or what is the “foul dust”?

I got down the fact that the quote basically means that Gatsby turned out better than the other rich people. But wat is the foul dust? I have no idea. Also what are some other reasons that Gatsby turned out alright other than the fact that he's not completly materialistic?

rebeccaadams
09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I got the impression that foul dust symbolises the impossibility of the american dream- Gatsby cant achieve it because it's unachievable. The dust imagery is particularly strong at the beginning of chapter two. It describes a town, a people, that have NOT achieved their dreams and that are still searching, unsure of what their dream is. This is further emphasised by the persistantly searching, watching eyes of Doctor T. J. Eckleburg.
The aforementioned dust "veiled [Mr Wilson's] dark suit and his pale hair as it veiled everything in the vicinity — except his wife, who moved close to Tom"
Mrs Wilson isn't willing to give up on her dream yet, whereas Mr wilson' achieved all he can think of or dream about. He doesn't care, and isnt moving forward. The dust has conquered him.

I don't know whether any of the above makes sense/is any help, but Im beginning to research a similar theme for my English A2 coursework. Sorry that Ive replied a few months too late to be much help for you, but I think its such an interesting topic to discuss!!