PDA

View Full Version : The Literary Style and Complexity of 'David Copperfield'

Panflute
04-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Lately, I've been reading a lot of Dickens. First I read Great Expectations, then Bleak House, and now I'm busy reading Oliver Twist. Seeing as I'm expecting to finish reading this book as well, next week, I'm already wondering what to read next. I've ordered a copy David Copperfield, and toying with the idea of reading that, but I'm wondering how this novel compares to Dickens's other works.

I found Bleak House and Great Expectations (especially the latter) quite tough books to read, though they were still very good. It took me quite a while before I finished those books. Oliver Twist, however, is much more of a 'pleasant read', with less boring parts, and a bit more pace in its opening pages.

I know that Dickens eventually uses the overly long descriptions in, say, Bleak House, to set the tone for the second half of the book, and it really starts paying off the more you progress through the book, making the final product nothing short of absolute brilliance, but as my exams are drawing nearer, I would like a book that makes me relax, instead of demanding a lot of my effort, before it starts to pay me off.

So my question is, where should I rank David Copperfield, in terms of complexity? Should I save reading this novel until the summer holidays, or is it 'safe' to start reading it as soon as I finish Oliver Twist?

If the former option is the most likely, I'll just start with The Pickwick Papers, instead. :)

Virgil
04-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I did not feel that David Copperfield is that complex a novel. It is enjoyable though. Great characters, though the story doesn't rise to the resonance of Great Expectations. The other book to read is Hard Times. I have not read it but I am told it is on the level of Great Expectations. It's on my wish to read list, if I can ever get to it.