PDA

View Full Version : Which Polikushka?

Captain Pike
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
I discovered a strange point of view used by Leo Tolstoy in his short story "Polikushka". The author spoke in the first person, while, previously it seemed he was writing omnisciently, in the third person. The odd thing lies in my attempt to quote the passage here, and ask if anyone had ever seen this done before. When I looked up the story (Polikushka) in this online network, the story was completely different than the printed volume I was reading. Isn't that strange? Any ideas how this could happen?

Logos
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
There are probably many translations to English, hence the (sometimes) major differences in text. The one on this site is translated by Benjamin R. Tucker.

Magician Rose
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Da, I must agree with "Logos".

Captain Pike
11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Logos, again, your wit and wisdom add much to this forum. And of course, you are right. I feel so dumb now, reading my earlier post. I have read more Tolstoy since then (reading Anna Karenina just now). As sometimes happens, I feel as though I have really gotten to know this author. If one reads enough translated works I believe that the true spirit of the original writer shakes out.

I am saving, War and Peace, for this winter.

Capt.