PDA

View Full Version : war and nationalism in henry V

tibet
04-28-2007, 02:38 PM
i have an essay to do and i can't do anything in it. i need some help please.
the question says,'many people say that shakespeare's Henry V glorifies war and nationalism. to what extent do you agree with this statement? '
Please explore and explain the quotations which backup this statement and are against it . And why shakespeare may have wanted to glorify war and nationalism.
quotations:
Act 4 Scene 7 lines 31-38
Act 4 Scene 7 lines 54-64
Act 3 scene 1
Act 3 scene 3
Prologue to act 1
Act 1 scene 2
Act 4 scene 3 lines 56-67
Act 3 scene 6

ennison
05-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Shakespeare was an English nationalist. They have always been an extremely nationalistic tribe and his nationalism chimes perfectly. Especially his dislike of Frogs and Scots.

Haven
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Shakespeare was an English nationalist. They have always been an extremely nationalistic tribe and his nationalism chimes perfectly. Especially his dislike of Frogs and Scots.

Ennison, what you said was downright unpleasant. You accused Shakespeare of being a bigot and a racist. Well done!

Shakespeare was writing for a queen who had been educated in France, Eliz. I and a King, James I who was both Scottish and cousin to the King of France, Louis XIV.

The nationalism that tibet refers to, is more likely to have arisen from the fact that England as a nation was emerging as an international power (see Eliz. I and the Spanish Armada). This was a time when the colonies were coming into being: Virginia having been named after Eliz. I is in itself a considerable signifier.

Within Henry V, agreed there is of course friction between the English and Fench courts, nicely manipulated by Canterbury in his highly convoluted and overly sophisticated analysis of why it was fine for Henry to go to war against France, invoking the rights of Salic Law. But to write this off as hatred of other foreign nationals; I know what I'd like to say, but I'm not getting banned for your stupidity ennison.