PDA

View Full Version : a controversial jewel!

Mr.Snob
04-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I don´t blame Mark Twain´s daughter for concealing this book! In two words, I define it as an acrimonious tract. Even me, who am not squeamish at any rate, indeed hostile to all religious matters, was profoundly astonished by its contents. A gloomy side to the author of so many funny tales, read this volume at your own risk. I´m serious, your former opinion, respect and affection for Mark Twain is likely to be capsized forever. Mine was, actually! Now he occupies a fair place far above the one I had previously given him due to my ignorance.

SFG75
06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
I just recently picked this book up from a used bookstore and I was very surprised at the tone of it as you were. The beginning is absolutely wonderful!.:thumbs_up I enjoyed how it portrayed Satan and the other archangels slowly walking away after hte creation, wondering what in the world is going on. The viewing of the natural world and noting the interesting fact of the strong preying upon the weak and that it's "God's nature" was just hilarious. Satan's letter to the other others about various Biblical accounts also highlights the seeming unreasonable nature of the stories told. Definitely not a touchy-feely time period the Old Testament.:idea:

BearsHart
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I love the book. It is not Samuel Clemens' only controversial work. He wrote many other such treatises on subjects like Christian Scientists and such.
I found the book stimulating and thought provoking. I love how he approaches subjects that at the time would have been seen as heretical with a sense of humor, (it is satire remember) however dry that humor may be.
He pokes fun at our beliefs with a delightful irreverence that forces a thinking person to review and 'gasp' even question what and why they believe. Kudos for Twain. Dark period of his life or not, it gave him the insights to create what I consider to be a masterpiece of satire.

Mr. Dark
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Probably his most sardonic work. People want to argue that it came from a place of deep resentment and bitterness on Twain's part but it still managed to be very entertaining. At least for those who aren't sensitive about religious matters.

PeterL
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Probably his most sardonic work. People want to argue that it came from a place of deep resentment and bitterness on Twain's part but it still managed to be very entertaining. At least for those who aren't sensitive about religious matters.

And those who are sensitive about religion get what they need.