PDA

View Full Version : A Love Episode

Debrasue
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I've just read this story for the first time. I'm getting more familiar with Zola's style ( he can get a little long winded). Though this story was heartbreaking it was not as hopeless as Therese Raquin.

spacetoon
03-22-2008, 02:13 AM
It seems like it. Up till now, I've read only 5 chapters and somehow it feels like a forshadowing to an unpredictable ending. What I want to say is that Emile Zola describes nature in a very, lovely way throughout the novel - he reminds me of William Wordsworth - and it is noticable that each chapter consists of its own "Love Episode." Amazing!

Anyway, I will be back once I finish more chapters as well as if any question fogs my mind.

Elizabeth19
08-16-2012, 05:39 AM
I’ll start with the strong points of the book. The descriptions of Paris are marvellous. It is almost like a main hero: sometimes a witness of confession, sometimes a hostile mysterious stranger. And the details are skillfully included into the text. Such details as a piece of furniture, a repeating phrase, a glance, contribute to the images of the characters.
But my general impression is very sad. The adult characters are so silly (except Monsieur Rambaud et Abbe Jouve) that it’s dull to read about them. E.g. Helene lived a life so monotonous even for that epoch. She was not able to think of the consequences of her actions, because she thought very rarely at all. And the children just imitate the grown-ups, like an awful miracle. And there is a lot of reminiscences, a pity that the characters feel to themselves. To my mind it’s no use feeling sorry for oneself.
As for the plot, there were some interesting moments, when the heroine had a choice. But in general, the plot develops slowly.