PDA

View Full Version : Kafka's Short Stories!

Nossa
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I studied "A Report to an Academy" this term in my short stories course, and I just loved it.
I was wondering if any of you know more short stories written by Kafka..I'd love to read more of them!

frivolity
04-30-2007, 03:51 AM
Nossa,

The book you see in this link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805210555/qid=1146498451/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-9472567-5478052) is a complete collection Kafka stories. I own a copy of that book..It has even the fragmented, unclassifiable writings from him. Try to get it. Metamorphosis is available in this site and elsewhere on the web.

CountingSheep
05-13-2007, 02:37 AM
I love that book! What would you say your favourite Kafka short story is frivolity? I personally like The Burrow, The Metamorphosis, and In the Penal Colony.

Enchanted
06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
"In the Penal Colony" was most graphically touching. Though I really enjoyed "The Judgement" and "The Metamorphosis" as well.

Tabula_Rasa
08-24-2007, 05:08 AM
A DREAM ,
BEFORE THE LAW,
ELEVEN SONS,
JACKALS AND ARABS,
A FRACTRICIDE,
A HUNGER ARTIST,
IN THE PENAL COLONY,
JOSEPHINE THE SINGER, OR THE MOUSE FOLK
A REPORT TO AN ACADEMY,
A LITTLE WOMAN,

are all amazing short stories by Kafka... I highly recommend them all...

blazeofglory
09-22-2007, 06:30 AM
I studied "A Report to an Academy" this term in my short stories course, and I just loved it.
I was wondering if any of you know more short stories written by Kafka..I'd love to read more of them!

Kafka is one of my best writers indeed. I have read the Metamorphosis many a time, and each time I got a different meaning. I like all of his stories. Kafka is really an immortal artist. His ideas are capable of expressing human predicaments in this century more expressively and impressively than many other modern writers.

The hunger artist is another story I like to read repeatedly

blazeofglory
09-22-2007, 06:31 AM
A DREAM ,
BEFORE THE LAW,
ELEVEN SONS,
JACKALS AND ARABS,
A FRACTRICIDE,
A HUNGER ARTIST,
IN THE PENAL COLONY,
JOSEPHINE THE SINGER, OR THE MOUSE FOLK
A REPORT TO AN ACADEMY,
A LITTLE WOMAN,

are all amazing short stories by Kafka... I highly recommend them all...

I wan to read 'Dream' of Kafka. Can you help me access it?

mahhag
10-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I really loved In the Penal Colony, and did enjoy The Great Wall of China, although it was a bit short.

AuntShecky
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
"The Hunger Artist" may be his best. Don't forget the surrealistic, way-before-its-time, tightly-compact and short, "A Country Doctor."

By the bye, for what it's worth, there is a parody of "Metamorphosis" by yours truly:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28823

Nico87
10-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Does anyone happend to know if the book from the link frivolity posted is the same as this; http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780679423034 ?

I haven't read any Kafka before and I want start out with this, so I would appreciate it if anyone knows the answer to my question.

Thanks

*edit*

If no one has read it, you can visit the following link and click "Table of Contents' on the left hand side of the page to view all the stories included in this book. Note that there are 3 pages of contents so you need to click on yourself;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0679423036/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-8167855-6944738#reader-link

johann cruyff
01-03-2008, 06:53 AM
You guys are very lucky to have access to his short stories.I live in a relatively small town,and believe you me,getting your hands on The Metamorphosis or The Trial is hard enough,let alone anything else that isn't as famous.

I'll be traveling to a much bigger city soon though,hope I find a complete collection there...

Nossa
01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
You guys are very lucky to have access to his short stories.I live in a relatively small town,and believe you me,getting your hands on The Metamorphosis or The Trial is hard enough,let alone anything else that isn't as famous.

I'll be traveling to a much bigger city soon though,hope I find a complete collection there...

I have only ONE book of short stories by kafka..and it's really hard to get my hands on anything else by him. My last resort is reading online or downloading an ebook, which doesn't come handy since I like books more. I totally understand how you feel.

Masud Mahmood
01-03-2008, 11:07 AM
You people don't read poetry. Years ago I had been to the States, and I had asked for a Dickinson expert only to be frustrated, because they said they aren't gaga about poetry. Damn it!

libernaut
06-26-2009, 04:09 AM
The Hunger Artist is by far my favorite short story by Kafka. So amazing down to every tragic detail. In the Penal Colony, the Judgement and before the law alsogreat. The whole collection was truly amazing. one of the best writers to ever live most definitely.:thumbs_up

blazeofglory
06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Reading Kafka is really moving but the problem is at times he is very complex and his ideas are ambiguous.

Masud Mahmood
09-12-2010, 01:05 AM
It's painful to read Kafka. He's endlessly puzzling and stultifying. Perhaps that is how he viewed our existence in the maze of relationships with people and situations rationally completely incomprehensible and callous. Kafka is depressing but enlightening in the last analysis. There might be something autobiographical in his portrayal of situations and people. The helpless but desperate K might be Kafka himself. The embedded subject is both involved in experiencing and detached in his unsentimental observations.

Baudolina
02-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Could someone interpret The Judgment for me? The only thing I get from reading Kafka is a certain feeling; either I am not getting it or his stories don't make sense on a rational level, but do on an emotional one.

libernaut
05-26-2011, 05:19 AM
The Judgement is essentially about a son's inability to live up to his father's expectation. Living, and dying, as a sheer disappointment to him.