PDA

View Full Version : why this title? till me I pray thee

GANA
04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi every body
It is my first thread
I've lately read "As You Like It"
I wonder why did Shakespeare pick this title!!!!
what does it mean?
and how it is releated to the plot?
I'm waiting for your answers
farewell

princess247
09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
shakespeare picked that title as the play has all the cliches that the audience would have expected at that time - therefore he gave them the play 'the waay they liked it'

Yelena M.R.
12-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Shakespeare's source of "As you like it" is Thomas Lodge's pastoral romance "Rosalynde or Euphues Golden Legacy" printed in 1590. The title may come from Lodge, who in note to his "gentlemen readers" says "If you like it, so".

rich14285
12-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Reading sonnet 117, at some point, we may hear the voice of the Bard speaking unto his patron, Henry Wriothesley, patron to Shakespeare and Marlowe, both his poets, saying "I did strive to prove the constancy and virtue of your love". What if "As You Like It" holds information that tells of the constant virtue of Charity in a speaking on the name and fame of Henry Wriothesley? For example, sworn oath, "By this hand, it will not kill a fly" may be deemable as information that tells of loving kindness, or charity. Further, the speaker of this oath may be understood as in an understanding of Wm Shakespeare's "master-mistress" (see sonnet 20). That is to suggest that Wm Shakespeare uses Lodge and at least one other author, in this play, in order to develop a play within in the play that tells of an image of the youthful countenance of Henry Wriothesley painted upon art's borrowed face that is "as you", Henry, like "it", "your frown" (sonnet 117), i.e., not without right ("Non Sanz Droict").

rich14285
03-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Who are "you" and what is "it" in "As You Like It" ? Or, why does Shakespeare in "As You Like It" cite a line taken from "Hero and Leander" by Marlowe in Phebe's aside: "Dead shepherd, now I find thy saw of might, 'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?'"

rich14285
03-09-2008, 07:28 AM
So, at some of point, of interest, I should like to suggest, is the testing of sworn oath, "By this hand, it will not kill a fly." that is as in an understanding of "it", "your frown" (sonnet 117) painted upon art's borrowed face that is "not without right" ("Non Sanz Droict") what with proof being as in an understanding of a passing this test.