PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy Question

scotpgot
04-25-2007, 12:25 PM
As way of introduction, I'm not that well-read in philosophy, but enjoy the exercise. I had thought of a premise awhile back and was interested to know if it has been addressed in literature.

The premise was this: That dual conflicting truths can and do exist. That two contrary identities can exist within the same object. i.e. Something could be both black and white, good and evil, true and untrue, etc.

Any recommendations for reading?

Thanks.

billyjack
04-25-2007, 09:20 PM
As way of introduction, I'm not that well-read in philosophy, but enjoy the exercise. I had thought of a premise awhile back and was interested to know if it has been addressed in literature.

The premise was this: That dual conflicting truths can and do exist. That two contrary identities can exist within the same object. i.e. Something could be both black and white, good and evil, true and untrue, etc.

Any recommendations for reading?

Thanks.

the tao of pooh by ben hoff? discussed the relationships between contraries--its entertaining too. it'll make you look at christopher robin and the gang in a whole new way.

"the book on the taboo against knowing who you are"--allan watts, his best and most readable book. but i havent read many of his, so i am a bit ignorant on the subject. but, its his most highly regarded along with "the way of zen".

nietzche talks about your topic a lot as well. for certain, "will to power" would give you a solid feel for his philosophy regarding that the world can be both "black and white" at the same time.

blackowl
05-05-2007, 10:11 PM
the tao of pooh by ben hoff? discussed the relationships between contraries--its entertaining too. it'll make you look at christopher robin and the gang in a whole new way.

"the book on the taboo against knowing who you are"--allan watts, his best and most readable book. but i havent read many of his, so i am a bit ignorant on the subject. but, its his most highly regarded along with "the way of zen".

nietzche talks about your topic a lot as well. for certain, "will to power" would give you a solid feel for his philosophy regarding that the world can be both "black and white" at the same time.

hi
bilyjack, I am afraid nietzche will be little hard for Sctpgot.
scotgpot, This matter is 3. clause of materializm (philosopy of communism)which says everything contains it's contrary inside. to understand well: if you are not living, you cant die. if you are healty you will be unhealty... this topic cause to materialist thinking way on people if you observe good. also person start to consider everythink very-well, and daubtfull consideration at all information.
to stop this and forward people thrugh city life like a computerized brain capitalist mind aborted a person who is nietzche. he is most dangeraus person on literature.
also at other hand there is 'ZEN'. capitalist mind trying to show it is good for relax but budhism is not a religion, it is philosopy and if you find better books you can learn wery well and it will open many doors to your life.
I think best book for this is 'beginning rules of philospy' from George Politzer. Also politzer has 'main rules of philosopy' but this is 2. book and little heavy.

Geoff Shipley
05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I fear being condemned as an existential snob, seeing as my only posts so far on the forums have to do with it. But I think Hermann Hesse's Demian is very applicable to your premise, and will shed some new light on your whole idea of "black and white" The novel deals with the duality and ambiguity of life in relation to the individual.

I think you'll find a lot of good material in regards to your premise. Nietzche even stated ('as offensively as possible' as Will Durant puts it)

"In the whole New Testament there apears but a solitary figure worthy of honor: Pilate, the roman viceroy...The noble scorn of a Roman, before whome the word 'truth' was shamelessly mishandled, enriched the New Testament with the only saying in it that has any value"-What is truth?"

And as Andrew Loyd Webbers Pilate put it "But what is truth? Is truth a changing law? We both have truths, are mine the same as yours? -Jesus Christ Superstar

If your interested in more research in philosophical perspectives try looking under Epistemology.

~Geoff

Bii
06-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Thanks.

Perhaps before addressing the question of whether dual conflicting truths can exist, you should first explore the nature of truth? What is truth? Does it exist? if truth doesn't exist then there can't be conflicting truths.