PDA

View Full Version : 4 main things Siddartha learns

Searin
04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Hiya people I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. What are the 4 main things Siddhartha learns throughout the novel?

Lote-Tree
04-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Hiya people I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. What are the 4 main things Siddhartha learns throughout the novel?

The Four Nobel Truths?

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering is the 8 Fold Way.

Conseil
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm not really sure, but I think it could also be old age, sickness, death, and peace.

Searin
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks everybody! That's very helpful!

blazeofglory
07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks everybody! That's very helpful!

Something is missing therein. Siddartha learned something more than that and he could unveil some secrets, the meaning of Buddhahood, something more than th e Buddha said but the Buddha lived. There is a gap between the Buddha delivered to us, but something there in the Buddha that is not deleiverable. And if that is deliverable we too will attain Buddhahood.

Maybe that stage of Buddhahood was what was attained by Siddhartha and a discussion that was held when he came across the Buddha endorses this fact.

Siddhartha was different than the rest. He was not of the pack of disciples the way his friend Govinda was. He did not become a disciople of the Buddha and why should he have been after when he attained Buddhahood. And he was the Buddha himslef.

I regret that I could not categorize things we learn from Siddhartha in four classes the way you asked.

Yet the core that think, and not necessarily I claim this convinces you, but i am very much sure of this truth and that is why I write with conviction.

Please give your reaction.

Timur
10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Some of the main things that Siddhartha(and we) learn in this novel:
1.With patience anything is achievable
2.Time is not real( the past,present and future are one)
3.The world is perfect(only we dont see it that way)
4.True wisdom cannot be communicated
5.Anyone can attain peace(or enlightenment) at any time.How you do it is up to you. But Reading Siddhartha helps

slaje
02-14-2008, 01:29 PM
in the end what does it mattter? sure we can learn from what others have also learned but in the end we have to make the choices and walk the path our own which is diffrent than anyone elses

Cupcake
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
1) One must be a finder not a seeker.
This explains the Siddhartha's mission to find happiness. He doesn't restrict his mission by choosing a specific route to obtain happiness.

2) Only knowledge is communicable not wisdom.
Siddhartha comes to understand that people like the Illustrious One are simply teachers and that each person must come to conclude their own wisdom from the knowledge the get from these teachers.

3)In every truth the opposite is equally true.
There are two sides to every story and each can be true. I guess its kind of like how the sky is blue but what if it wasn't. We know it as blue because that is what we have been told, but what if that color is actually red or yellow?

4)Time is not real.
Siddhartha says that everything is what it will be an that time is just an illusion. He says children are old already and there is no long path to happiness. He says we make up time and it restricts how we perceive our lives.

Hayley Zero
05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
1) One must be a finder not a seeker.
This explains the Siddhartha's mission to find happiness. He doesn't restrict his mission by choosing a specific route to obtain happiness.

2) Only knowledge is communicable not wisdom.
Siddhartha comes to understand that people like the Illustrious One are simply teachers and that each person must come to conclude their own wisdom from the knowledge the get from these teachers.

3)In every truth the opposite is equally true.
There are two sides to every story and each can be true. I guess its kind of like how the sky is blue but what if it wasn't. We know it as blue because that is what we have been told, but what if that color is actually red or yellow?

4)Time is not real.
Siddhartha says that everything is what it will be an that time is just an illusion. He says children are old already and there is no long path to happiness. He says we make up time and it restricts how we perceive our lives.

I think this summarizes the four things just perfectly! I myself really love die Gleichzeitigkeit, time isn't real. I feel like that often.