PDA

View Full Version : Editions of Ulysses you own?

katdad
04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
What versions of Ulysses do you own?

My primary recommendation is "Ulysses, the Corrected Text" edition by Gabler, 1986. Although out of print, you can find copies in used bookstores and online. I have 3 copies and they are my constant references.

I also have:
An original edition of the Random House edition (first legal in the US),
The Bodley edition (British printing).
Penguin Books (general paperback edition).

And... which I bought at a garage sale for $20:
"Ulysses", 1924, from Shakespeare & Co., Paris
(a first edition!!)

That last book I of course keep safely away and out of the light.

Book Carpenter
06-15-2007, 07:06 PM
What versions of Ulysses do you own?

And... which I bought at a garage sale for $20:
"Ulysses", 1924, from Shakespeare & Co., Paris
(a first edition!!)

That last book I of course keep safely away and out of the light.

Whoa! That was quite a score! I buy vintage woodworking tools at estate sales and occasionally buy something that turns out to be moderately valuable and collectible but I've never come across anything on the scale of your first edition of Ulysses!
I've got my old college paperback edition of Ulysses and the Modern Library edition. I believe I've got the Gabler edition in paperback in storage somewhere (if its the one with line numbers) but I haven't seen it in a while.

Vishruth
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
My father got me this book yesterday. It's the complete and unabridged text, as corrected and reset in 1961.

Ward Brady
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
You might be interested that Border's publishes a hard copy faxsimile if the 1922 Shakespeare and Company, Paris edition.

Daniel A. C.
09-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I kind of glaze over when people start talking about textual differences, but I do have a minor preference. When I took the book in University we read the Penguin student edition (http://www.poldy.com/penguin-annotated.htm), but also have read the Oxford World Classics edition (http://www.poldy.com/oxford-wc.html). I prefer the Oxford edition simply because of the font and layout - seemed much more similar to the priting style of the 20s, making it easier to imagine how the book must have struck those first reading it.

Colm
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a 1924 Shakespeare & Co. edition in pristine condition and a rebound 1926 Shakespeare & co. also in fine condition. I have a Randon House 1934 first US edition, third printing and a 1937 Bodley Head first unlimited English edition. I regularly read from all four and keep them good and safe. I also have a 1939 first US edition Viking Press Finnegans Wake, immaculate, but alas, lacking the dust jacket.