PDA

View Full Version : ITV/UTV Austen Season

Niamh
04-20-2007, 05:28 PM
UTV/ITV, a British/ Northern Ireland tv broadcasting company recently did adaptations for the screen of three of Jane Austens Novels and had an Austen season showing the programmes over a three week period. The Novels they adapted were, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and my favourite Austen Persuasion. I missed Mansfield Park but did manage to see the other two. They were enjoyable adaptations, but the slight rewriting of Persuasion broke my heart. Spent too much time crying out 'but that doesnt happen till later!', 'he doesnt say that!' etc. But even with that i did still get all mushy and girly at the end.

Did anyone else see these, and what did you think of them? Was Mansfield Park any good? and Did Billie Piper do a good Job as Fanny Price?

eleniel
04-29-2007, 10:05 PM
I watched Northanger Abbey last night but it is the only one I've seen so far. I was very pleased with the adaption, the casting was perfect. I have not seen Mansfield Park yet but Fanny Price did not look a bit like I imagined her. Did you like the 1995 version of Persuasion better than the new one? I love the book!

Niamh
04-30-2007, 05:14 AM
I'd like it if the actors from the new one were in the 1995 one! The new one is just as enjoyable (would have been better than the 1995 one if they hadnt altered the story somewhat!)

Niamh
08-24-2007, 01:39 PM
just ordered these from amazon. cant wait!:D

LadyWentworth
09-04-2007, 12:52 AM
We'll be getting to see all of those early next year. I guess they will show Colin Firth's "Pride and Prejudice" and Kate Beckinsale's "Emma", which I really don't know why. After all, if they made new versions of all the other novels, they could've done the same with "P&P" and "Emma".

Anyway, I will be curious to see the others to compare (I saw a version of "Northanger Abbey" from awhile ago. I thought it was OK. So, I am curious to see how this one will be in comparison with that one).

I am a little afraid of "Persausion", though! I was satisfied with the 1995 version. So, I am really hoping it is acceptable!

Did they show a story about Jane's life? They will be showing that here. I believe it is based on her letters, but I am not entirely positive anymore. If so, how was that?

Niamh
12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
didnt see anything about her life.
As for the Persuasion, just wait till you see Captain Wenthworth!

Edit*
Oh I forgot to mention, Northanger Abbey- The location they use for the Abbey is Charleville Forest Castle.:D Ie, MH Series one location.

LadyWentworth
12-20-2007, 12:47 AM
You're the second person who has told me to just wait for this Wentworth! :p

I will have to look out for that MH location. I vaguely remember it. It has been SO long since I have seen a single episode from season one. We don't have them on DVD here. No, I take that back. We do have them on DVD here, they aren't, at this time, being released as complete seasons. Now they are just a collection of the episodes that are considered the "best". Well, one set claims to be the first and second season, but they are missing, I think, 17 episodes! :( Hopefully they will come to their senses and release all of the seasons (complete seasons!).

I guess I will have to let you know how the film that is based on her life will be. :)

Niamh
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
THIS is the face of the new Wenthworth! *swoons*
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/topban1.jpg

I see what you mean about MH for sale in America. Just checked Amazon. What i suggest is that if you have a multi region DVD player, order the series from Amazon.co.uk instead. They would be region 2. I have up till series eight on DVD as well as all five MH live best ofs and a few other bits a pieces. Series nine not out till next year.

Nightshade
12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
wait when was this on? I like this guy... but Im always worried that adaptations of books will ruin them , why havent seen the Kira knightly adaptation of P&P. I would have likd to see Mansefield park.... when ITV did it as Ive yet to see an adaptation of that that was anywhere near good, or true to the story, They always seem to try and make Fanny so decisive and loud and modern. When wasnt the whole point of the story that she was quiet and good and modest etc etc and ended up getting the best in the end?
I thought I reda someweher that it ws written for a nice as warning not to become like Maria ?

Niamh
12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
They were on back in April. Itv had an austen season. Billie Piper played Fanny, and guess what! She is kind, Quiet, good and modest. she also created a kid of sadness to the character, which is needed seeing as the character is watching the man she in love with courting another.:)
There is a real naivety in Northanger abbey. Its actually quite fun! And Liam Cunningham plays the dad.
The took some liberties with the script for Persuasion. Mainly towards the end. Still think that if they took the actors from this one, and put them in the 2001 adaptation, we'd have a wonderful version of the book.
Dont know why they didnt bother to do their own version of Emma and Sense and Sensablity.

Nightshade
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM
yes I know but it clashed with the Doctor I think on BBc, so I have them on my dvd list...
so they got Fanny right did they? hummm maybe the list need reshuffling, its winter and time for costume dramas afterall

Niamh
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
you can say that again!
So far this christmas i've watched;
Cranford
The history of Tom Jones a Foundling (love this!)
Presuasion (2001)
The Hanging Gale:D

Nightshade
12-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Im watching North and south I think Ill reread it here tomorrow and then curl up tommorow evening and watch....
http://nefret.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/northsouth.jpg

maybe Danial Deronda after that?
... Ill get on with litnet challange I started last year...

Niamh
12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I've never read North and south, but i have a question. Lorna Doone? I know there is an Adaption of it but i dont know the story. Any good?

Nightshade
12-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Not my cup of tea, but then again never read the full version read the longman summary type forgein reader childs version but deffinetly a film becaus ethe pics from it were from a film.
I think it was too melodramatic for me.
And you should read North and south..its on my list of bestest books ever.

LadyWentworth
12-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Well, yes, now I am quite curious to see this man as Wentworth. Should be interesting. They begin here in January then. At least I am guaranteed something to watch every Sunday night for the next 4 months! :)

They took liberties with "Persuasion"? In what way? No, don't tell me. I will discover it soon enough.

Did you mean to say "Pride and Prejudice" instead of "Sense and Sensibility"? I'd heard that they were all new adaptations except for "Emma" and "Pride and Prejudice" (which would be the Colin Firth one). I really was disappointed that they weren't ALL new versions of the stories. I didn't quite understand that when I first found that out.

So, do you guys like to watch "period pieces" during the holidays? That is what it seems like. :) Honestly, I enjoy watching them more during this time. Reading them, too, I guess.

By the way, I have been contemplating getting a multi-region DVD player. There are a lot of DVD's that I want but I can't get unless I get them from the UK. Maybe if I get the chance to spend the money in the near future I will do that. Right now I have one of those DVD/VHS combos. I kind of need a VCR, too, because I have an awful lot of VHS tapes. I wonder if there are any combos of the multi-region DVD and VCR. I should look into that.

Niamh
12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
They only readapted Persuasion, Northanger Abbey and Masfield park. The Emma they played was the Kate Becinsdale version and they didnt even show any version of Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensability.

Yes multi region DvD player sounds good.:nod:

LadyWentworth
12-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah, they are showing the Kate Beckinsale "Emma" (which I have seen already, but I suppose I will sit through again!).

They didn't show a new "Sense and Sensibilty" at all? Well, here is the link to the site for it here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/index.html

Unfortuantely they aren't revealing too much on the individual programs yet, but there is a new "Sense and Sensibility" pictured there. Also, I believe the photo of the woman there is the one that is playing Jane Austen in that biography. They begin January 13th here. They start with "Persuasion". I am a little disappointed with that. Of course they don't know me personally to appease me, but I really wanted them to save the best for last! I really did think, since they were making such a big thing out of these programs, that they would at least show them in chronological order of when the books were published.

Niamh
12-27-2007, 08:23 AM
I checked out Amazon because i dont recognise that S&S. As it turns out there is a new BBC version being released next month, which is more than likely the version that is to be played in your season.

Nightshade
12-27-2007, 03:19 PM
The new S&S I mentioned in the other thread ( lets talk about adaptations) is a new series to be shown on the BBc starting either Newyears eve or New years Day I forget.

Niamh
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
humm... i'll keep an eye out for that.
*Edit*
Its on new years day 9.10pm bbc one

cactus
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
God, why don't they have anything in Australia!:bawling:

Nightshade
12-28-2007, 04:22 AM
Dont you get the BBC in Australia?
I mean I know they get it in the US, and they are not even in the Common wealth, and alot of our soaps are australian....
Humm I cant find asny info however here you go you can now watch the best of the bbc online for a week after its first broadcast http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/.

NOt sure if theyve put an area restriction on it or not... they might have, I know the american sites dont allow us to view things here if they are planning on showing it on uk tv.

cactus
01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Dont you get the BBC in Australia?
I mean I know they get it in the US, and they are not even in the Common wealth, and alot of our soaps are australian....
Humm I cant find asny info however here you go you can now watch the best of the bbc online for a week after its first broadcast http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/.

NOt sure if theyve put an area restriction on it or not... they might have, I know the american sites dont allow us to view things here if they are planning on showing it on uk tv.

Thanks Nightshade, but unfortunately I can't view it. The website is restricted. In Australia we sometimes have shows from the bbc but the latest adaptations of Jane Austen's books are not available to us as yet (I hope it would soon). I am so tempted to purchase them on ebay but am afraid that my DVD player would not be able to play them. :bawling:

Cactus

Niamh
01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Watched the first part of Sense And Sensability this evening. I really Enjoyed it. And the acting is very good. :nod:

LadyWentworth
01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
That is very good to know! :) I am really looking forward to these! I still have to get through the second part of "Jane Eyre" next week before they start the new season here.

I liked "Jane Eyre" the first time that I saw it, but now that I am watching the rerun of it, I can't believe the liberties that they took with it! It is still good, though. I know that it was said that liberties were taken with "Persuasion". Is it like that with the others, too?

They are showing "Persuasion" at the same time as the Golden Globe Awards! :mad: Why do TV stations put me through this???? I think I will skip the award show this year! They do nothing but frustrate me anyway! :)

Niamh
01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
The new adaptation of sense and sensablitily has been done by the same person that brought us teh wonderful Pride and Prejudice. (fuarrr! Colin Firth diving into the lake!)
And i know what you mean. S&S was on at the same time as the Best of Top Gear!

Nightshade
01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I can belive I forgot to watch it.... stupid amazon order and birthdays distrcating me...:rolleyes:

Niamh
01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
but you can watch it on the bbc website cause you are in england Nightie! I wanted to watch it today but it wouldnt let me bacuse i'm in ireland. Stupid bbc!!! Argh!

Nightshade
01-03-2008, 06:48 PM
hgumm Id wandered if they were going to put an area fix on that.. Im sorry nims but got to say Im glad...
Id be seriouslly miffed if I have to pay my tv liscence so I can see it and they can make it and then you got to watch it free

Niamh
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I pay a tv licence too.....:(

LadyWentworth
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I pay a tv licence too.....:(
What is a TV license?

Anyway, I just finished "Persuasion". OK. It was very good. I am sure that people who are new to this story (the people out there that have not read the book nor seen the other adaptation). They may have really enjoyed it. I did like it. I liked it a lot. I really liked Wentworth, by the way, Niamh. ;) Anyway, WHY did they end it that way? I am talking about the letter scene. I think that was a disappointment. At least for me it was. I can understand them wanting to film it their own way. Still, though, I think that the "true" way of doing it has the most dramatic effect. That is how I feel about it. Yes, I see the other liberties that they took with it, too. I won't go into any of that right now, though. I did like it. I just wanted it to be done the OTHER way!! This is how I felt with the ending of the most recent "Jane Eyre". Well, I suppose I can't have everything be the way that I want it to be! :)

Next week is "Northanger Abbey". That looks good. I have the other adaptation of it. I wasn't thrilled with that one. So I am expecting this one to be better.

Niamh
01-14-2008, 06:02 AM
I told you they took liberties with roundong the movie up. I also really liked it, but the bit with her running just really iritated me. And yes, i to liked captain Wentworth. (told ya!)
Northanger Abbey is good. Got an Innocence about it.
Mansfield Park is also enjoyable but I have to point out that the ITV productions are all only little over 90mins long, so they chopped ALOT out of Mansfield.

Sense and Sensability finished last night. I enjoyed it over all but i'm not sure about parts of the last 15mins....

LadyWentworth
01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I personally thought the best one in the film was Wentworth. What is his name again? Anyway, his facial expressions were well done. I always have this habit of judging a performance on facial expressions. They were subtle, but they definitely let you know just what he was feeling. My favorite was when he found out that she wasn't engaged. It happens quickly, but it was definitely the look of relief and a bit of satisfaction.

As for these stories being shorter, I must admit that I was a little annoyed at the fact when I first found that out. I was looking at the TV schedule last night. I can see them being able to make "Northanger Abbey" and "Persuasion" a little shorter. I can't understand how they were going to do that with "Mansfield Park". Well, if they can still get the story told accurately enough, I guess that I can live with it.

Still, the speed of the story last night really irritated me. I noticed how much time they were spending on some of the scenes, and then I noticed how other scenes seemed to fly by. I looked at the clock at 9:00 and I saw how far we were only in the story. I was afraid of how they would end it. The ending just seemed to go by in an instant. It almost gave me this impression that the filmmakers realized that they only have a limited amount of time for the film so they better hurry up and get that letter to Anne in some sort of way. Doesn't even matter if that way doesn't make you feel any sort of relief, or happiness, that everything is turning out the way that you hoped it would. Do I make sense? Maybe I am not explaining it correctly. I just wanted the scene to be done the RIGHT way! That is the pivotal moment in the story. It should've been true to the way that it was written. Some scenes in stories should be told the same way every time.

Like I said, I did like it, though, and I will probably watch it again. :)

amalia1985
01-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Rupert Penry-Jones!!!

I'm so glad you liked it, my dear LadyWentworth!!!

Niamh
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
I personally thought the best one in the film was Wentworth. What is his name again? Anyway, his facial expressions were well done. I always have this habit of judging a performance on facial expressions. They were subtle, but they definitely let you know just what he was feeling. My favorite was when he found out that she wasn't engaged. It happens quickly, but it was definitely the look of relief and a bit of satisfaction.

As for these stories being shorter, I must admit that I was a little annoyed at the fact when I first found that out. I was looking at the TV schedule last night. I can see them being able to make "Northanger Abbey" and "Persuasion" a little shorter. I can't understand how they were going to do that with "Mansfield Park". Well, if they can still get the story told accurately enough, I guess that I can live with it.

Still, the speed of the story last night really irritated me. I noticed how much time they were spending on some of the scenes, and then I noticed how other scenes seemed to fly by. I looked at the clock at 9:00 and I saw how far we were only in the story. I was afraid of how they would end it. The ending just seemed to go by in an instant. It almost gave me this impression that the filmmakers realized that they only have a limited amount of time for the film so they better hurry up and get that letter to Anne in some sort of way. Doesn't even matter if that way doesn't make you feel any sort of relief, or happiness, that everything is turning out the way that you hoped it would. Do I make sense? Maybe I am not explaining it correctly. I just wanted the scene to be done the RIGHT way! That is the pivotal moment in the story. It should've been true to the way that it was written. Some scenes in stories should be told the same way every time.

Like I said, I did like it, though, and I will probably watch it again. :)

No, i understand what you are getting at and i totally agree with you. The Thing with Mansfield Park is that i do actually really like it. Much more than the movie from a few years back. Do you want to know why? because Fanny Price in the ITV drama is the same quiet, shy Fanny Price of the books. ANd you really feel for her character as she is watching Edmund fall for that gastly woman!

LadyWentworth
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the name, amalia! :)

I am glad to hear that this Fanny is more to the original character rather than the one from the film. Like I said, they can do what they want, just keep the basic storyline (and important moments :) ) the same. So, that sounds to me like it is at least faithful when it comes to Fanny. :)

Here is our upcoming schedule:

January 20 Northanger Abbey
January 27 Mansfield Park
February 3 Miss Austen Regrets (the story about her life - I was hoping that they were saving that for the last film)
February 10 - 24 Pride and Prejudice
March 23 Emma (at least they will play this and P&P back-to-back and they will end with a new adaptation)
March 30 - April 6 Sense and Sensibility

I am very happy that the Golden Globes didn't have a show! So, I didn't have to think that I was missing something! Now I am hoping that is the case with the Oscars! :p Oh, I think we have a month in between "Emma" and "Pride and Prejudice" because of the horrid money-raising that they do. Of course, if they didn't raise the money I wouldn't have this channel to watch all of these programs! I just hate their choice of programming during that time (although I am guilty of wanting to watch the one thing that I know will be on at that time - another topic completely :D ).

sciencefan
02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
I enjoyed Mansfield Park. I thought Fanny was played well. The story was good. I thought the casting was well done.

As usual, the characters were under-developed. They just don't have enough time in 90 minutes.

LadyWentworth
02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I have to say that I realy liked "Masfield Park", too, but they really are flying by fast with these stories. That extra 30 minutes (to make it 2 hours) would make just that little bit of difference, I think, to not rush through the story. It almost seems to me that, maybe, you have to have a little knowledge on the stories to realize that this is happening, though. Maybe if it was someone who had never read one of her books, but enjoyed watching these types of films, they wouldn't even know if the story had been edited, of the liberties that are taken with the stories, or that they are rushed.

I really liked "Northanger Abbey", though. It was a billion times better than the film from the 1980's!! I just thought that adaptation was so dull! This was a lot more awake!

Newcomer
02-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks Nightshade, but unfortunately I can't view it. The website is restricted. In Australia we sometimes have shows from the bbc but the latest adaptations of Jane Austen's books are not available to us as yet (I hope it would soon). I am so tempted to purchase them on ebay but am afraid that my DVD player would not be able to play them. :bawling: Cactus

Cactus, you can unlock most dvd players.Google unlock dvd player
Exp. http://www.dvdcodes.net/
if you are not technical savy get someone to help and you'll be able to watch without region restrictions.

Niamh
02-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Mansfield Park being as big a book as it is whould have been a least another 30-45 minutes long. :nod:
I'm glad you liked northanger Abbey. I found it a very fun youthfully innocent adaptation. I think it was another one of Andrew Davies work. *goes and checks DVDs* yep, another Andrew Davies screenplay. I really liked the portrayal of Catherine Morland in it.
What did you think of the dream senareos? I Though they were a nice touch.

sciencefan
02-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Cactus, you can unlock most dvd players.Google unlock dvd player
Exp. http://www.dvdcodes.net/
if you are not technical savy get someone to help and you'll be able to watch without region restrictions.
Interesting concept. I wonder why it only works 8 times instead of permanently?

Newcomer, I didn't know you were so technically savvy!

Newcomer
02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Interesting concept. I wonder why it only works 8 times instead of permanently?
Newcomer, I didn't know you were so technically savvy!

Who me? Alfred Neuman more likely as I only read instructions
I think that the 8 out of 10 was a reference to success in unlocking the dvd since most are done by manipulation of the remote (note you may have to get a universal remote as the manufacturers hand-remote may not work). With some models you have to compile and burn a dvd which changes the firmware programed in the dvd player. The change is permanent.
Here is a sample procedure, that gives you an idea what is involved:
=================================================
Region 0 firmware update v1.24 for DENON DVD-1920
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! ONLY for European Players
=================================================

1. Burn CD from ISO file

2. Connect the DVD player to a display device

3. Power up the DVD player

4. Using the remote control type in 9876 then press Search Mode button
on the remote control

5. When the tray opens insert mod disc and close tray

6. Please wait for the reading, erasing and programming process to
complete (approximate waiting time 5 minutes)

7. Tray opens remove disc - DO NOT CLOSE TRAY!!!

8. Unplug from the mains, wait 15 sec. - DO NOT CLOSE TRAY!!!

9. Plug the machine back in to the power socket

Done! Power on player and check firmware version if you want. To do so, type
1234 on the remote control and then press the Display button.

Download:

Link#1: http://rapidshare.de/files/14422051/denon1920_Codefree_V1.24.zip.html

Link#2: http://www.caranthir.de/files/denon1920_r0_124.zip

sciencefan
02-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Cool.

This is a quote from the site:

"Brand new multi region remote now available,it works 8 TIMES !"

Newcomer
02-02-2008, 11:44 AM
This is a quote from the site:
"Brand new multi region remote now available,it works 8 TIMES !"

Ok, it's nonsense. So do you believe everything that you read?:sick:

sciencefan
02-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Ok, it's nonsense. So do you believe everything that you read?:sick::lol:
I do if they're in business to sell something and trying to put their best foot forward.

Niamh
02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
you can get some that unlock completely. none of this 8 times milarkey, but some of them can mess up your DVD player.

Newcomer
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
you can get some that unlock completely. none of this 8 times milarkey, but some of them can mess up your DVD player.

If you are disatified with your present situation you have 3 alternatives:
1)do nothing, sit and quetch.
2)Buy a dvd player that does not have regional code blocking. There are several available,
ranging from Toshiba SD-760 @ $99 to Pioneer Elite DV48AV @ $325. Do a google search.
3)do a hack. There is sufficient information available on the web, of reports by people who have succeeded and those who have failed, that the risk is manageable.

Niamh point that some hacks “can mess up your DVD player” is valid but alarmist. With sufficient research the risk can be managed.

Niamh
02-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I watched the new Persuasion again today (probably about the 7th or 8th time i've seen it) and the more i watch it the more i really hate what they have done to the end. Did they really have to have her running around Bath? could they not have just stuck to the proper ending as opposed to a crazy blend of the the ending and one of Janes initial ideas for the ending?

sciencefan
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I watched the new Persuasion again today (probably about the 7th or 8th time i've seen it) and the more i watch it the more i really hate what they have done to the end. Did they really have to have her running around Bath? could they not have just stuck to the proper ending as opposed to a crazy blend of the the ending and one of Janes initial ideas for the ending?I QUITE agree.

LadyWentworth
02-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I actually liked those dream sequences in "Nothanger Abbey". It was a nice little touch. Something a little different, but at the same time it didn't seem too out of place like the ending to "Persuasion".

You know, like I mentioned before, I liked the film, but I didn't like the ending. I knew from the first time that I saw it that it was an absolutely ridiculous thing to do. I really don't understand why they did it that way. If they wanted to alter it a little bit, I suppose they could've come up with a much better way to do it without having Anne run around town like she was wild! I just didn't feel anything at all when the moment came for her to receive the letter. It was almost like I had this anxious (for lack of a better word) feeling for the ending to come and then I was so let down by it. I honestly didn't care for them dancing together at the end either. Maybe I had issues with that because I was annoyed with the letter scene.

After "Persuasion" all I did was say to my voice teacher "Did you watch "Masterpiece Theater" last night?". Right away she mentioned the ending with her running around like a maniac! So there were obviously other people that didn't care for the ending besides us here. :D

Niamh
02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Yes and they ruined the one piece of the story i love most of all by dong it! Hands up here who gets all mushy when Captain Wentworth comes back into the room to fetch his gloves and with a glance at her, places a letter on the table and leaves. And when she starts to read it and he is pouring out his heart...*swoons*
:bawling: Why did they have to ruin it!!

LadyWentworth
02-04-2008, 12:35 AM
:nod: Yes! You know, I read Jane Eyre when I was 13. There were 2 particular lines at the end of the novel that just sealed it for me. I was in Heaven and I was satisfied with the entire story at that moment.

Well, a year later, when I was 14, I read Persuasion. This was the last Austen novel that I read. I didn't think any book was going to have the same affect on me like Jane Eyre did. Nothing was even close to that story until I read Persausion. I have to admit that I was just going crazy with that entire scene while he sat there writing and listening to all that she was saying. Then he left without a word! How could he, right? I was so mad! UNTIL he came back into the room, presented the letter, and, yes, glanced up into her eyes! THAT was IT for me! I can honestly admit to the fact that I was excited over the glance that he gave her. I just KNEW that it was going to be good. Then there is the letter itself! Come on now! How could any ending to a story compare to that one????

With the way that they ended the film, there was absolutely NO way that I could get that same feeling. I do every time I see the 1995 version, though. I never will from this. That particular scene needs the quietness, the calmness before the storm. The storm being the letter, of course. Why? For the unexpectedness of the whole moment. The unexpectedness of the whole story. For that simple moment of relief and satisfaction. I just don't get it from this movie.

Well, "Pride and Prejudice" is next but it won't be shown for a few weeks now. I don't know why I will sit through it. I have seen it so many times now, but you know what? I will! I ALWAYS do!! I will watch it like I have never seen it before! :rolleyes: I am hopeless! :p

By the way, "Sense and Sensibility" happened to be on at the same time as "Miss Austen Regrets" tonight. I was watching part of that. How is Colonel Brandon in the new adaptation?

Niamh
02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Colonel Brandon is much better in the new adaptaion that when Alan Rickman played him. (ducks from flying objects being thrown by Rickman fans..)
On a whole, its much better than the movie...at least you can see lucy for hte villain she is in this one.

LadyWentworth
02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I swear everyone is crazy. According to the website we are done with these programs for a few weeks. According to the TV schedule, "Pride and Prejudice" will definitely be on next week! So, I am expecting to have something to watch on Sunday night now! So, we wil see who is right.....

Anyway, I really do like Alan Rickman in "Sense and Sensibilty" and it isn't because I am a die-hard Rickman fan. It is because I just like his subtle performance. I was watching it last night and watching the expressions on his face while he looks at Marianne. I wish I had a man that would look at me that way! :p So, I was wondering how the new interpretation will be of his character. Now you have gotten me very much in the mood to see it as you say it is better than the film! :)

I am actually more curious to see how Lucy is in this more than Brandon now. I suppose that is because I really didn't care for the portrayal of her in the movie. Unfortunately I have a while to wait yet to see it. :(

sciencefan
02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
The Masterpiece Theatre website says Pride & Prejudice
on February 10, 17 & 24.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/index.html

LadyWentworth
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
February 10 - 24 Pride and Prejudice
March 23 Emma (at least they will play this and P&P back-to-back and they will end with a new adaptation)
March 30 - April 6 Sense and Sensibility

Yes, see, in the beginning it was like this. Then it seemed to change (at least here it did) and now it is back to the original schedule!

Off-topic (a little bit): I have been noticing lately that a lot of programming that is scheduled to be on (not saying PBS but other stations) seem to be different than what they say will be on. I don't understand why that is happening.

Well, at least PBS is straight again. I am happy because Sunday nights are usually a killer when it comes to TV. :)

sciencefan
02-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Who knows.

I haven't seen either version of Emma or S & S so I'm looking forward to them.

I agree with you about Sunday nights.

LadyWentworth
02-05-2008, 01:34 AM
I haven't seen either version of Emma or S & S so I'm looking forward to them.

So, you've never seen the film version of "Sense and Sensibility" then? You are lucky that way because you won't have anything to compare it to when you see this one. :) I hate having that automatic comparison switch turn on in my head whenever I see a new version of a story that has been filmed once before!

You haven't seen either version of "Emma"? Neither the Gwyneth Paltrow nor the Kate Beckinsale? Well, out of all her stories, this is my least favorite. I really don't know yet if I will watch this one again.

Niamh, which version of "Emma" did you think was better?

sciencefan
02-05-2008, 08:21 AM
So, you've never seen the film version of "Sense and Sensibility" then? You are lucky that way because you won't have anything to compare it to when you see this one. :) I hate having that automatic comparison switch turn on in my head whenever I see a new version of a story that has been filmed once before!

You haven't seen either version of "Emma"? Neither the Gwyneth Paltrow nor the Kate Beckinsale? Well, out of all her stories, this is my least favorite. I really don't know yet if I will watch this one again.

Niamh, which version of "Emma" did you think was better?Well, I haven't seen either of these two new versions they'll be playing.

I did see S & S with Hugh Grant and Kate Winslet. I liked it. I even bought it the other day.

I don't believe I've seen Emma, though I have wanted to.

My problem is I don't even remember the stories anymore since I read them so long ago!

I read a synopsis online before Mansfield Park and thast was helpful.

I liked Miss Austen Regrets.

Niamh
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
The Emma that they are showing is an old one with Kate Beckinsdale playing Emma. Its the one they played over here last April. The new S&S is very good. There was a scene in it that i thought the actress playing Marianne did much better than Kate Winslet in the movie. You will not like Lucy. I didnt like her in the book and i didnt like her in this. In the movie they didnt really develope her character per say. They left out the social climbing money hunting villian she is and made you feel sorry for her.

sciencefan
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
I've decided I don't like the actress who plays Mrs. Bennet. I don't think she can act. Her high-pitched nasally whining is beginning to get on my nerves.

Other than that, it's an excellent script. I prefer the cast of the 2005 P & P with Kiera Knightly.

LadyWentworth
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, I am glad to hear that they are portraying Lucy to her true character. I actually didn't like her in the film. I never felt sorry for her in any way. But I suppose that is because I already knew her character and I knew what she was like.

I have to admit to the fact that I don't like the Keira Knightley version of P&P at all. I didn't "get" it. I have a long list of issues with it. I am not going to get into any of it because I will just go off on a long, boring rant.

I see your point to the actress that is playing Mrs. Bennet, but I personally felt that was a good way to portray her character. I just prefer the actors in the '95 version. I prefer the look of the '95 version. I prefer the overall adaptation to the '95 version.

Of course, this is all just in my opinion. Everyone has a right to theirs. So if other people prefer the Knightley version, OK. :)

sciencefan
02-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, I am glad to hear that they are portraying Lucy to her true character. I actually didn't like her in the film. I never felt sorry for her in any way. But I suppose that is because I already knew her character and I knew what she was like.

I have to admit to the fact that I don't like the Keira Knightley version of P&P at all. I didn't "get" it. I have a long list of issues with it. I am not going to get into any of it because I will just go off on a long, broing rant.

I see your point to the actress that is playing Mrs. Bennet, but I personally felt that was a good way to portray her character. I just prefer the actors in the '95 version. I prefer the look of the '95 version. I prefer the overall adaptation to the '95 version.

Of course, this is all just in my opinion. Everyone has a right to theirs. So if other people prefer the Knightley version, OK. :)Oh I don't doubt that that is a good way to portray Mrs. Bennet, I just think that actress looks like she's acting. Really great actors and actresses have a way of being so realistic you can't even tell they're acting. They just ARE the part.

Mrs. Bennet's voice is too shrill and hurts my ears. I think she could have figured out a way to be "silly" without having a shrill voice.

Niamh
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree about the mrs bennet in the 95. i liked the Mrs Bennet in the 05 version better. But I like both versions for many different reasons...

LadyWentworth
02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Mrs. Bennet's voice is too shrill and hurts my ears. I think she could have figured out a way to be "silly" without having a shrill voice.

Oh, I understand what you are saying about her. Personally, I find her very annoying. Then I think that maybe she is deliberately over-playing the character. Who knows? That was just how I always took her performance to be. Of course, I am not her, so I don't know what she was thinking when she was playing Mrs. Bennet. I wouldn't have played her that way, but to be honest, I never would've wanted to have played her. I never really cared for that character. I found that character to be annoying when I first read the book! :)

LadyWentworth
02-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Silly random post here :) :

I saw the preview to "Sense and Sensibility" tonight. Is it just me or is Edward Ferrars actually better-looking than Willoughby? This might seem like a silly thing to ask, but I am curious after having seen that. In my opinion, I thought that Greg Wise was a good choice for Willoughby. I always pictured him to be a tall, good-looking guy. When the film came out I thought they did a fine casting job. This one that they've chosen now wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Or was I looking at someone else??? :p

Anyway, if I am correct with who-is-who in that preview, Ferrars really isn't that bad. ;) Seeing this Brandon has made gotten me more anxious to watch this. :) I still have like a month, or whatever it is, before I can see it, though. :(

sciencefan
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Silly random post here :) :

I saw the preview to "Sense and Sensibility" tonight. Is it just me or is Edward Ferrars actually better-looking than Willoughby? This might seem like a silly thing to ask, but I am curious after having seen that. In my opinion, I thought that Greg Wise was a good choice for Willoughby. I always pictured him to be a tall, good-looking guy. When the film came out I thought they did a fine casting job. This one that they've chosen now wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Or was I looking at someone else??? :p

Anyway, if I am correct with who-is-who in that preview, Ferrars really isn't that bad. ;) Seeing this Brandon has made gotten me more anxious to watch this. :) I still have like a month, or whatever it is, before I can see it, though. :(I haven't seen any previews so I don't know. I like it when they're all good-looking. ;)

Niamh
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
yes! the guy who plays edward is very goodlooking!
Edward Ferrars
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/niamhking/pic76.jpg
colonel Brandon
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z206/filan975/hot/the_reaping_movie_image_david_mo-1.jpg
Willoughby
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/specialchicken/dominic_cooper_lg.jpg

sciencefan
02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
EWWWWW!!!!
Willoughby is U-G-L-Y!!!!!

LadyWentworth
02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
I haven't seen any previews so I don't know. I like it when they're all good-looking. ;)
True!! :D

Yes, I do have them all correct then (the scenes just seemed to be flying by in the preview). Also, they showed it in the 15 minutes left after P&P ended and the next program. I always tend to watch and see if they show any previews after "Masterpiece Theater", anyway. So, I was happy to see this.

Anyway, no, Willoughby is a lousy choice, I think. I have always felt that his looks play a big part in the character. I always figured he was supposed to come across as nearly perfect in every way. This guy just doesn't do it for me. Of course, there is a good chance somebody out there thinks he is a dish! So, I won't comment anymore on that. :)

As for Brandon, he is OK. He fits his character, I think. :) Thus far, I think it is a fine choice.

Now, Ferrars on the other hand....:D
Isn't he the star from that series called "In the Line of Beauty"? Do you what one I am talking about? It was a 3-part series, I think.

sciencefan
02-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I agree with you. Willoughby is supposed to be dashingly handsome and charming, sort of like Wickham was. You have to have the looks to pull that off.
Maybe they're going to use a lot of make-up.

Niamh
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
yeas he is from in the line of beauty. :nod:
The guy who plays willoughby is in the movie version of The History Boys. and yeah he isnt that good looking. i was disapointed when he came on the screen.

LadyWentworth
02-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Maybe they're going to use a lot of make-up.
:lol: Too cruel! :p

yeas he is from in the line of beauty. :nod:.
Yes, I remember thinking he was quite the catch in that. :D

The guy who plays willoughby is in the movie version of The History Boys. and yeah he isnt that good looking. i was disapointed when he came on the screen.
That's where I know him from! I thought he looked familiar. Well, at least I am "prepared" for him as Wiiloughby now rather than getting a shock later when I see him first appear in the film. :) It still is a disappointment, though.

Niamh
02-19-2008, 06:29 AM
I think they just went with someone who looks the villian, which he does....

Niamh
03-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Hello? any updates? :confused:

sciencefan
03-02-2008, 09:13 AM
What do you mean?
If you're asking if Masterpiece Theatre is on tonight, I think they're taking two weeks off for pledges and then Austen will be back for 2 more weeks on March 23rd.

LadyWentworth
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Well, watching P&P again, I thought to myself "Darcy, you're OK in my book". ;) Reading the book again, I was thinking the same thing. I have to say that I always enjoyed his "attitude". :p

Anyway, "Emma" will be the first one shown when they return.

By the way, sciencefan, did you happen to watch P&P and then hang around to watch the S&S preview afterwards? They showed it again on the last night of P&P.

sciencefan
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
By the way, sciencefan, did you happen to watch P&P and then hang around to watch the S&S preview afterwards? They showed it again on the last night of P&P.I can't remember, but I don't recall seeing a preview.

LadyWentworth
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, tonight there is going to be a special on about all of these adaptations. I don't know if it will be shown everywhere tonight. It will definitely be shown where I live. So, I plan to watch that.

sciencefan
03-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, tonight there is going to be a special on about all of these adaptations. I don't know if it will be shown everywhere tonight. It will definitely be shown where I live. So, I plan to watch that.If it's correct, my local PBS station is playing The Best of Masterpiece Theatre, a countdown of the series' Top 12 shows.

Now that I think of it, that's probably what you meant.

sciencefan
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Next week, for 2 weeks in a row, they're playing "The Virgin Queen," a two-part dramatization of the life of Elizabeth I (Anne-Marie Duff),

It opens with her unpopular sister, "Bloody Mary," on the throne and "Bess" in the tower of London. But not for long. Mary dies in 1558 and Bess becomes queen.

Niamh
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah i was just wondering what was being shown at the moment.:) Seeing as i've already seen them all i'm curious to know what everyones opinions are.

LadyWentworth
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, I see that nothing was mentioned about "Emma". That was on Easter night. I saw this once before when it was first on TV. The Gwyneth Paltrow version was conveniently on TV for me to watch (for the 5th time in the past 2 months - it is on TV all the time - I watch it every time for some reason! :p ) and compare the two. I think I like the film version much more than the TV one. The TV version is fine. But all I around I prefer the acting in Gwyneth's film. I much prefer her Emma over Kate Beckinsale's. Besides, the film has Jeremy Northam in it. Naturally I would much prefer that one. ;)

On to much more serious issues. "Sense and Sensibility" was on last night. Well, part one. It is kind of hard to not compare those two (especially since I have seen the movie so many times now), but I think I did pretty well. I think I did! It is strange to me because at times the one who was Elinor was sounded like Emma Thompson to me. I just figured I was losing it a little! :p I really liked her, though. :) Marianne is OK. I like Colonel Brandon. I think he fit the role, thus far, just fine. Of course, Edward is nice. ;) I still cannot accept the choice for Willoughby. I was willing to give it a try, but I can't. He is fine in there, but he isn't what I always had in mind. I will have to bring up the film here. I said before and I will say again that the casting was perfect for me. This just doesn't do it for me. When I read the book I had the impression that he was supposed to be almost perfect in almost every way. Especially with looks. I think to have Willoughby look both like a nice man (one who would never do what he had done) and be a nice-looking man is much more effective when he ends up the cad. I look at this guy and I think "So he does her wrong. So what? I am not too surprised". Whereas, if he would've been a little better looking, and a little more like someone who would never be anything but a kind man, I could feel a little more sympathy for Marianne for being taken in by him. Even if he would look like Edward Ferrars! That is what I am saying. That man is good-looking and he looks nice. Perfect example. I don't know. This is just my silly, rambling opinion. :)

Who was that that was playing their father in the beginning?

You know what is crazy? I was watching the scene where they ride off and Elinor and Edward are looking at each other. All that went through my mind was "Oh, that's a shame". Why would I even think that? I know how it ends! :rolleyes: :p

sciencefan
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
I enjoyed Emma immensely - enough to make me want to read the book again!

Last night's version of S & S was okay for me. I don't like the casting. The English are not very good-looking people apprently. When Col. Brandon is the best looking guy, someone has messed up!

Did Willoughby take Marianne to his home and kiss her in the book? I don't remember that.

I much prefer the casting for the S & S with Kate Winslet, et al.

Niamh
03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I completely one hundred percent agree on the willoughby thing. Just doesnt fit the character. And your right he is prtrayed as being very handsome in the book. In the drama Brandon is more of an eye catcher! Should be the other way around i think.....
:lol: Cant believe you though that when they were leaving! you ninny!:p

LadyWentworth
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I really don't recall Willoughby taking Marianne to his home. Unless I was reading another book all this time, or, for some strange reason, blocked that part of the story from my mind. :p

Yes, Niamh, I am a ninny! I have to agree with that. :blush: :)

I do agree with the casting being better in the film, but other than Willoughby, I think it could've been worse. Honestly, I can't go against Brandon no matter who is playing him! I think I like his character so much that I am somehow always drawn to the men who portray him! :) I personally think he gets a bad rap for being "boring". I always liked the fact that he was a NICE man. I think they did a fine job casting him because the actor looks like a nice man (whether the actor is or not in real like is another story ;) ).

Am I the only one that has the "hots" for Edward in this version? :p I liked him already in "In the Line of Beauty"! :)

Niamh
03-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Edward is a total hottie!

LadyWentworth
04-11-2008, 06:21 PM
What? No thoughts on the second episode??

Well, I will say that I did like this adaptation a lot (despite my other opinions - which I won't go into for the hundredth time! :D ). But I almost felt like they were rushing things towards the end like they did with "Persuasion". I don't know. It just seemed to suddenly be zooming by. I will say that I think the portrayal of Lucy was very well done. I think part two was a little more enjoyable than part one.

All in all, I did like these adaptations, for the most part, I guess. I have to admit that I was a little depressed when it ended. I waited months for these to be shown and now they are all done already. :( Well, at least I get the new version of "A Room With a View" to watch this Sunday. :)

sciencefan
04-11-2008, 07:47 PM
I liked the second episode well enough, but not enough to spend $35 on the DVDs.

LadyWentworth
04-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Is it really that much for the DVD's? Is it on 2 discs? Is there anything extra to them? That seems pretty steep, I think. Especially while considering the fact that a 6 disc set of a season of a TV show can cost $35.

Niamh
04-13-2008, 08:31 AM
:eek: holy cow! It only cost me about €19!
I told you they portrayed Lucy really well!!!!

sciencefan
04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Is it really that much for the DVD's? Is it on 2 discs? Is there anything extra to them? That seems pretty steep, I think. Especially while considering the fact that a 6 disc set of a season of a TV show can cost $35.That's wht they said at the end of the program.
You can get S & S for $34.95.

Masterpiece: The Complete Jane Austen: Sense and Sensibility 2PK DVD (Bonus Miss Austen Regrets)
Single DVD
Item No. SENS401
Our Price: $34.98

http://www.shoppbs.org/sm-pbs-masterpiece-the-complete-jane-austen-sense-and-sensibility-2pk-dvd--pi-3006513.html