PDA

View Full Version : What am I?

sharpe123
04-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I believe in God but not 100%. I believe everything that exists is too complicated and amazing to be an ďaccidentĒ. But I follow no religion. I decide for myself what is wrong and what is right. However, I understand that religion and others will influence me. I believe religion to be created by man and not God and the existence of many religions proves this, however, that doesnít mean that all religions are false. I donít believe in one true faith, however, I donít deny it. I could never truly believe in anything and never truly deny it.

I believe in everything and nothing, to a certain extent.

What am I?

Rick Hendricks
04-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I believe in God but not 100%. I believe everything that exists is too complicated and amazing to be an ďaccidentĒ. But I follow no religion. I decide for myself what is wrong and what is right. However, I understand that religion and others will influence me. I believe religion to be created by man and not God and the existence of many religions proves this, however, that doesnít mean that all religions are false. I donít believe in one true faith, however, I donít deny it. I could never truly believe in anything and never truly deny it.

What am I?

Besides being a Dylan fan, you are most likely a Deist.

All the best,
Rick

billyjack
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
i'd say you're a person who hasnt lost his sense of wonder--call it what you will, i'll just call you a person. all religions are pointing at the same thing, so they are all legit to some extent. problem is, they've mistaken the finger pointing at the truth for the truth itself.

sharpe123
04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you. Iíve read up on Deism and I suppose that some of the aspects of it do describe me. But, I donít agree with all of it. Maybe just being a person is enough.

Lote-Tree
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you. Iíve read up on Deism and I suppose that some of the aspects of it do describe me. But, I donít agree with all of it. Maybe just being a person is enough.

You are an Agnostic.

But why worry about labels?

Spirituality is not a fashion accessory :-)

Scheherazade
04-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Spirituality is not a fashion accessory :-)Speak fer yerself!

*shows off her new spiritual inclinations she acquired fresh out of Celebrity News pages*

In Scientology, we believe that...

;)

cuppajoe_9
04-20-2007, 03:51 PM

Spirituality is not a fashion accessory :-)Quite right.

Neo_Sephiroth
04-20-2007, 04:57 PM

What am I?

Is this a riddle?:sick:

Redzeppelin
04-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I believe in God but not 100%....But I follow no religion. I decide for myself what is wrong and what is right.

Then why believe in God at all? If you believe in "everything" then you believe in things that negate the existence of God. Isn't that contradictory?

hyperborean
04-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Speak fer yerself!

*shows off her new spiritual inclinations she acquired fresh out of Celebrity News pages*

In Scientology, we believe that...

;)

Wait, you're a scientologist?

And sharpe123, read some nietzsche and you'll be a hyperborean like myself. I was in you position as well and that's when I started reading philosophy. Since you're a Dylan fan you should analyze some of his lyrics. He can definitely be categorized as a philosopher. He's one of those guys that abides by the "know thyself".

Anyways, when people ask me "are you atheist?"...I say no, I'm hyperborean. I believe I picked the term up after reading the first paragraph of the anti-christ.

Lote-Tree
04-22-2007, 03:32 AM
Anyways, when people ask me "are you atheist?"...I say no, I'm hyperborean.

Being a human being not good enough for you?

bazarov
04-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Then why believe in God at all? If you believe in "everything" then you believe in things that negate the existence of God. Isn't that contradictory?

I think he is trying to say that he believe that there is something which controls everything, you can call it God or anything you like.

Rick Hendricks
04-22-2007, 09:50 AM

You are going through the rational phase of Deism. We question first, then as rational men we come to the conclusion: there is "something" we cannot comprehend; maybe it's what some call God.

All the best,
Rick

dan020350
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
What am I ?

What you want to think who you are, is what you are.

the end.

Redzeppelin
04-22-2007, 12:14 PM
What am I ?

the end.

Cool: I think I'm God and I'm mighty displeased at some of the postings on this forum...I think I'll go dispense justice now and bring to an end that silly discussion over in the Evolution thread... *leaves in majestic glory*

(I'm rather thankful that your statement isn't true - I'd make a terrible God :D )

sharpe123
04-22-2007, 12:55 PM
You are an Agnostic.

Spirituality is not a fashion accessory :-)

Good question. Why worry about labels? Maybe because itís a human desire understand themselves or to belong to Ďsomethingí? My question wasnít anything to do with fashion though.

Yes it is contradictory. Even more so if youíre looking at the world from a religious point of view. However, I donít follow a religion. Maybe believe isnít the right word.

I have a Ďrelationshipí with God. Because, I have come to the conclusion that his exsistance is very possible. But, I do except that he may not exist. Why believe in God 100% or disbelieve his existence 100%?

Wait, you're a scientologist?

And sharpe123, read some nietzsche and you'll be a hyperborean like myself. I was in you position as well and that's when I started reading philosophy. Since you're a Dylan fan you should analyze some of his lyrics. He can definitely be categorized as a philosopher. He's one of those guys that abides by the "know thyself".

Anyways, when people ask me "are you atheist?"...I say no, I'm hyperborean. I believe I picked the term up after reading the first paragraph of the anti-christ.

I will give nietzsche a read. Didnít he have a huge mental breakdown though? ;) and didnít his ideas lead to the massacre of the Jews!? I could be wrong.

Dylans lyrics are amazing. Ďwith god on our sideí is a favorite.

You are going through the rational phase of Deism. We question first, then as rational men we come to the conclusion: there is "something" we cannot comprehend; maybe it's what some call God.

All the best,
Rick

This is true.

Or should i say 'true'? :)

What am I ?

the end.

Maybe. Maybe not.

How about, what you want me to think, that what I want to think is who I am, is who I am?

Lote-Tree
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Good question. Why worry about labels? Maybe because itís a human desire understand themselves or to belong to Ďsomethingí? My question wasnít anything to do with fashion though.

Belonging to humanity is that not good enough?

billyjack
04-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I will give nietzsche a read. Didnít he have a huge mental breakdown though? ;) and didnít his ideas lead to the massacre of the Jews!? I could be wrong.

?

mental breakdown possibly caused by syphillis. the mistinterpetation of his books was partially responsibly for hitler's anti-semitism. but so was shoppenhaur and kant--never hear about them being responsible for the holocaust though do we. nietzche is a scape goat.

belonging to humanity is good eneogh.

sharpe123
04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Belonging to humanity is that not good enough?

It could be but for most it isnít.

Personally I hate the idea of labels. They create notions of Ďusí and Ďthemí, but the truth is they exist. I was interested to see if there was a label for me.

Lote-Tree
04-23-2007, 02:56 AM
It could be but for most it isnít.

Then here is the problem.

If only they could could see it so that they are human beings first and the rest is just an unwanted innovation then there would be less divisions amongst us.

Personally I hate the idea of labels. They create notions of Ďusí and Ďthemí, but the truth is they exist.

And the challenge should be to go beyond it.

I was interested to see if there was a label for me.

They have the Power of Descripton and we succumb to it...

hyperborean
04-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Dylans lyrics are amazing. Ďwith god on our sideí is a favorite.

Nietzsche had the breakdown after he wrote his works. And yes, Hitler misinterpreted Nietzsche's "will to power" and this misinterpretation became the backbone ideology for the Nazis.

My favorite Dylan song has to be "It's alright ma (I'm only bleeding)". I love the quote from that song, "He Not Busy Being Born is Busy Dying".

scotpgot
04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I personally think that just saying you're "a person" is an easy-out. However, I'm going to give you an equally dissatisfying answer: You're uncategorizable. (not a word, I suppose, but you know what I mean).

The belief that everyone can be categorized, especially with an issue as complex as religion and God is, IMO, ridiculous. I would venture to say that one would be hard-pressed to find anyone of any religion (other than perhaps the priests and ministers) that accept the entire canon of their religion with no doubt or lack of belief. I heard somewhere that the Catholic Church recently changed their position on babies going to purgatory, showing even the Pope didn't quite believe in that.

So don't worry that you don't feel like you "fit" anywhere (if that is indeed you're worry). Most intelligent people, who understand the complexities of things, DON'T fit 100% anywhere.

You stated you don't believe in anything 100%. I don't believe that. I think you probably believe in "right" and "wrong" 100%. Start there. Where do right and wrong come from? Internally? Externally? Is there anything that is intrinsically wrong? Intrinsically right? If it's internal, does it come from a soul, does it come from a collective consciousness?

Have fun! :angel:

frivolity
04-28-2007, 03:28 AM
There are journeys in which the path is more enchanting than the destination itself. The point lies in remaining on the path itself, never reaching anywhere.What is left once you reach conclusions? Better not conclude..as William James wrote:"There is no conclusion. What has been concluded, that we might conclude in regard to it?". Lets keep our fingers crossed. I fit in your category and always feel if i ever manage to 'define' myself , i will end up in suicide. Even your beloved should not be able to define you. Say: 'not that, not that'.

codonnell456
05-15-2007, 11:39 AM

That sounds zen buddhist.

NikolaiI
05-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Why do I always feel like others' posts are hard to read, yet mine are flowing, vibrant, and easy to read?

I just really wanted to reply to this really fast, if anyone's felt that before. Has anyone here thought of how they feel about someone claiming to be deist, atheist, pantheist, and theist? I wrote a little about it on another thread, and am slightly interested in responses.

I would suggest: Ken Wilber's "No Boundaries."

Also, Zen Flesh Zen Bones.

Also, "Entering the Stream".

Those books will change your life I swear. Well, maybe Zen Flesh Zen Bones. :D

Now there is a nice smile.

Em, I doubt he reads this, but Hyperborean, thank you! Haha, I had read some of your posts, saw your name, but never associated it...

We really only connect well with people who have read the same things as us, and are intelligent, and are logical, etc...while Nietzsche says "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to teach him to value more highly those that think alike to him than those that think different," if we are speaking with people who think very radically different from us, it's very hard to communicate.

My main point is that people should be more to the point, and not ramble on forever, that makes posts easier to read, and it's intelligent. And use personality sparingly! That makes it vibrant!

Nietzsche is amazing: last point: there is no thing. In Buddhism: the fallacy of duality

Oh, and I say that logic is a good thing, yet also endorse a position that many of you might say is illogical, contradictory, or irrational. How can a person be atheist and theist, desit or pantheist? Well, there are lots of reasons. One is that a person is not any of those things! Another, you can look at in terms of Buddhist logic. Which leads me to:

What am I? Anything you want. Words don't define people. Not anything including God, however. Though Rhonda Byrnes would disagree.

:alien: What am I thinking? The answer is: a part of the world. Physically, yes, and some would say spiritually or consciously so, as well. Alive. For more adjectives, see: Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself, Part 1" (really, do!) a part of the world, not seperate...

Anyhow, I'd like to see what people have to say to my ideas. There is a God, there also is not a God, both are true. I exist yet I also do not exist, both are true. Pascal: Everything here is partly true and partly false.

This is completely off subject, but what does anybody think about my idea that there is one true idea, which is that all others are false. There's only one truth, which is true to itself and all others, which says it is true and they are false. Which means that, because they are on different levels, everything below this truth is actually true, being on a different dimension so to speak from it. Meaning that there are different levels of truth.

Also, perhaps there are different levels of God? There is a God that we think of, then there is a God that is higher, and exists outside of that? One that exists one step beyond existing and non-existing? I take that idea from Hertha, by A.C. Swinburne. Read it.

Oh, and for you, sharp123, I say that God is the universal life, and is in all particles and atoms. Everything has a direction. Nietzsche: "This is my way, where is yours?"---thus I answered those that asked me "the way." For the way---that does not exist.

Hehe, that was a little off topic, but Nietzsche was mentioned.

*takes a bow*

P.S. I really meant it about those books, the Zen and "Entering the Stream" are amazing books as far as personal growth, and knowledge of the Buddhist religion are concerned. And I think everyone should check out Rastafarianism. It is based of the Old Testament, and the main idea behind it is that we should give peace a chance, basically, and that in the Kingdom of Jah, there will be no division, etc. Of course I can't speak for it, really...

Oh, also, I apologize for the slight at the first of this post. All of your posts are vibrant, flowing, easy and fun to read. XD

Cheers, everyone.
Namaste, everyone.

eladway
05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
If you really want to know who are you.. you must know what are you doing on this earth. What are you trying to do here in this life???
define yourself and you will find who are you...

Brady10
06-02-2007, 05:00 AM
You are a human being. It is natural that you have a desire to be religious, and it is also natural that you have doubts. You just gotta keep going on, and most likely something will just make sense. Hopefully the same will happen with me, because it seems our views are pretty similar.

Unbeliever
06-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Sounds like philosophical theism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_theism), sharpe123.

linz
06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
A {GOAT = Pozzo's shoes} or a {SHEEP = lucky's hat}?

unknown_lady
06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
if u believe in the presence of some1 who made the world than u should believe in God

n what u will do if u believe in him

not obying what he made us for

he creat the ppl to worship him

so, if u will not follow any religion ur waisting ur life for nothin

n u should be careful choose what u think is good

i advise u to choose Islam