PDA

View Full Version : Angelo's marriage and pardon

jen1989
04-14-2007, 07:42 AM
I have been asked to write an essay based upon Coleridge's criticism of Measure for Measure that stated that it 'baffles the strong, indignant claim of Justice' when Angelo is married to Mariana and then pardoned.
I don't really understand the question too well and was wondering if anyone could give me some help at all?
Thank you! x

stephanie975
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know if it's a bit late. But i would write about the battle of mercy over justice and how the Duke never truely resolves anything because most recieve a pardon. Even though Angelo does not want to marry Mariana, it is merciful in comparison to death. The meaning of the phrase 'Measure for Measure' is about coming to a happy medium, and this is contradicted by the merciful Duke.
You may want to look at points in the play when justice has been "strong and indignant" and worked. In disagreement however would be to argue why mercy is prefrable at this moment (e.g. To give the play a typical comedy ending, as opposed to tragedy. Otherwise it would not be a problem play at all)

However, that may be all a load of rubbish lol, we don't have questions much like that in our paper. It's more generally character or theme orientated.

Hope that helps =)

byquist
04-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Remember, there is a few moments before the eventual pardon of Angelo: first Mariana begs to the Duke for this "no better man" that she's satisfied with. The Duke says: no, no pardon, he dies, and you will inherit his estate. Then Mariana begs Isabella to plead on her behalf for Angelo's life (and Isabella still believes that her brother has been executed! -- so that is a really difficult task for her to forgive him). The Duke is maybe taking the issue of forgiveness to the nth degree to find out how compassionate Isabella is; not that he deserves to know or make any judgment about it. Some people think he's a bit unkind to delay so long in telling that Claudio is alive, but it sure works as a stage scene. That last Act V is really fine stuff.