PDA

View Full Version : EAP Symbol Women

AlmostxUntitled
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Hey, I'm new here. I'm doing a paper on symbolism and my choice was Edgar Allen Poe and the symbol of Women in his literature. I said they symbolize Beauty, Death, and Loss. I haven't had a chance to read a lot of his literature and he does have quite a bit, so I was wondering if anyone here knew a lot of poems/short stories or anything of his that had Women in it and symbolized what I said. Quotes would be good too :D . Thanks for any and all help

-AlmostxUntitled

AlmostxUntitled
04-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Can anyone help me out?

kilted exile
04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
A couple of poems perhaps worth taking a look at:

Lenore (http://www.online-literature.com/poe/574/)

To One in Paradise (http://www.online-literature.com/poe/2145/)

AlmostxUntitled
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I already found Lenore, but not To One in Paradise. I read To One in Paradise but I can't seem to get the meaning out of it, want to help me out :)

kilted exile
04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks, I already found Lenore, but not To One in Paradise. I read To One in Paradise but I can't seem to get the meaning out of it, want to help me out :)

Well I'll do my best, but I should warn you analysing poetry is not one of my strengths.

I think To One in Paradise, deals with the idea that without this particular woman, life is devoid of meaning. The woman is "the starry hope" & "light of Life" you may be able to compare the idea of the woman as "light of Life" with the christian notion of the man (Jesus) as the light, and the way.

dramasnot6
04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
When considering Poe and women we have to remember his experience with women and what they mean to him(and how this is reflected in his poems in symbols). His wife tied of TB at a young age and he was orphaned at a young age and did not get on too well with his stepparents. A lot of loss in one life and even some guilt. The only Poe poem I have studied in depth is "The Raven", which has some wonderful religious references to the afterlife and all kinds of symbols around grief and death and escape. Plus the poem is about lost love, put the two together and you see that both Poe and his poems express some pretty sad feelings about women.
My suggestion to you would be to research a bit more about Poes life and to read through some poetry of his and try to make connections.

AlmostxUntitled
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, I definitely realized this and that's one of the reason I chose Women as a symbol of Poe. :) Btw thanks for the help guys :)