PDA

View Full Version : Picture Poetry Contest (...continued...)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Petrarch's Love
04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Hello all, and welcome to the new Poetry Contest thread. This is a continuation of the much loved old thread, which any interested parties can look through here: http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17115

For any newbies, here's a list of the rules describing how this works:

1. The winner from the previous round will select a picture for the next round and set an appropriate deadline date for submissions (usually about two to three weeks has worked out well). The same person who selects the picture is also the judge for that round.

2. Participants then write a poem inspired by what they see in the picture for that round and submit the poem in a post to the thread before the deadline date.

3. Only one poem per person may be submitted for judging in each round.

4. The judge for each round is responsible for posting when the deadline has been reached and the contest is closed to any new submissions for that round. He/she is then responsible for selecting a winner in a (hopefully) timely fashion.

5. Once the judge for that round has posted the winner, then it is that winner's turn to select the new picture and act as judge for the next round. (Traditionally judges have given brief feedback to all participants in addition to selecting a winner).

6. This contest is designed for the purposes of having fun and exercising our poetry skills. The only prize offered is the pride of winning and the fun of getting to select the next picture and act as judge. The greatest reward, however, has proven to be the enjoyment of improving one's own poetry and the chance to read the really great contributions of others here. So join in, and have fun! :)

Petrarch's Love
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
O.K. first order of business for the new thread has to be a BIG thank you to Auto for all the hard work you did as judge for the last round. I personally, of course, am also very, very flattered to have been selected the winner out of all those talented submissions. Thanks so much! The way things have been moving around this contest, I anticipate a very difficult job as judge in the next round (no doubt I, like Auto, will become so captivated by everyone's poetic prowess that I'll be left with stacks of unmarked papers mocking me). :)

And now, here's the picture for the first round of the new thread. It's an image that's been overwhelmingly in my mind of late because it's April, the month when "longen folk to goon on pilgrimages" (and that's the only hint I'll give as to what this depicts). The deadine for this round of the contest is set for April 27th. Best of luck everyone!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/LeonardoD/canterbury.jpg

mir
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Yay! It's up again! :)

Congrats to Petrarch for winning the last competition. That was a wonderful poem.

ktd222
04-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Congratulations, Petrarch! Your poem reminds me of Blake's "London." It really adds a nice effect.:)

I wandered through each chartered street,
Near where the chartered Thames does flow,
A mark in every face I meet,
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

In every cry of every man,
In every infant's cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind-forged manacles I hear:

How the chimney-sweeper's cry
Every blackening church appals,
And the hapless soldier's sigh
Runs in blood down palace-walls.

But most, through midnight streets I hear
How the youthful harlot's curse
Blasts the new-born infant's tear,
And blights with plagues the marriage-hearse.

Petrarch's Love
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks Mir, and thanks ktd. I'm honored to be compared with Blake. :)

Adolescent09
04-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Congrats Petrarch for winning the previous poetry contest. Autocylus' decision for picking you is quite understandable. That was a great poem you wrote and this is a very interesting picture you've posted for the next contest.

AdoreroDio
04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Here's my entry (what a gorgeous picture by the way)hope you like:

Here the is Heaven

Fingers glide, smoothing, etching
chisels, hammers, all moving
a painters brush dips again
brought up to the ceiling
ladders reach to the topmost part
the last detail not forgotten
handcrafted glass windows
shine shifting colors
across the floor
each raised to the top
to finish the masterpiece
tiny knives cut detailed sculptures
bringing beauty to life
sculptures of intricate design
long thought out and practised
hundreds of artist work togethor
to bring one man's visions to life
finally finished the creater steps back
the sight, breathtaking
this time he knows he has created
exactly what he hoped
a little piece of heaven
intricate and beautiful
so that one could stare at it
and never want ot leave
for here there is peace
here there is beauty
here there is heaven

Virgil
04-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh what happened to the old thread? Do threads reach a limit?

edit: I guess they do. :p

Congratulations Petrarch. A really nice poem.

I did not read them all but of the ones I read I must say I really liked Drama's poem.

Petrarch's Love
04-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Virg.--Logos just thought the old thread had gotten too long and was especially cumbersome and confusing for new people to read through. You can still read the last few posts there to see what went on at the end though. edit: Thanks for the congrats too, Virg. :)

And thanks to Adolescent for the congrats and to AdoreroDio for the first great entry for this round.

Adolescent09
04-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Pendragon
04-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Congradulations on the last win, Petra! Wonderful picture! Here's my attempt.

Shades of Grey, Fans of Fate

They come here with bowed heads,
In humbleness
Seeking for something
Beyond themselves.
They keep their eyes glued
To a marble floor,
Make the Sign of the Cross
And send aloof a prayer.
Have they never seen
What lies above them all,
The fans that make the pattern
That lines the skylight?
In shades of grey,
Light and dark—
So very much like
What goes on inside—
The struggle within them?
Nothing in this world
Is carved in stone,
Black and white,
It’s just the way things are.
The fans' circular patterns
Tell the tale
“The truth shall set you free.”
But first you have to look up
Take a chance and behold
How the shades of grey
Focus your vision
Upon the center,
A colorful prize.
There is hope beyond hope—
There is joy beyond tears—
There is life when death comes calling—
Shades of grey,
Wiggle room—
If you can believe beyond all that you see:
At the center of the Fans of Fate
A Prize awaits you…

Pendragon
© 4/8/07

Logos
04-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Virg.--Logos just thought the old thread had gotten too long and was especially cumbersome and confusing for new people to read through.
Thanks for re-starting it PL; yes, threads will start being closed around 25 pages for a bunch of reasons but mostly for manageability purposes :)

kandaurov
04-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I must say, after reading the already posted poems related to this picture, I'm positively intimidated by them, and slightly insecure of my own writing. No joking, no phony flattery. You guys are good at this, I'm just glad I've joined this forum.

Well now. My shot at it:

It's immense
(ly grand).

Immersed in perfection,
result of interaction
between genius and idle hands
(why would one wonder
at the beauty of things
if one was not rendering oneself
useless?)

There it is,
up high,
where human beings are not allowed.
We were not given wings.
We were not given anything;
we created love, and hate,
and all the shades of feeling
in between.

We created this,
this mesmerizing hymn to symmetry
this sage, century-old, all-seeing circle
mercilessly judging who is fit
to look it in the eye.

He are grand, as grand as it,
As grand as all the things in every earthly land
Built by beings such as ourselves.
We didn't have wings, we created them
And so we can fly, soaring high
even higher than the scrupulous, hideous, monstrous ceiling
envying us with all its feeling.

Adolescent09
04-08-2007, 07:43 PM
even higher than the scrupulous, hideous, monstrous ceiling

I thought the ceiling was gorgeous.. Did you mean anything in specific by labeling it monstrously hideous?

kandaurov
04-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Noticed how I initially praised it? The idea is to make a thing so neutral and unchangeable as a painted ceiling seem magnificent first and then, after pondered reflection, a mean, threatening thing. As if we, humans, are Frankensteins, and this ceiling is our monster. The last part of the poem acknowledges both the lyrical subject's fear provoked by the grandeur of the ceiling and also his/her belief that it is envious of the human condition, for it could not have existed on its own, while the human race does not only exist, but improve itself, and create other things, much like a deity.

In short, after perception the ceiling is one thing, after reflection, another :)

AdoreroDio
04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I know this is somewhat off topic but I know you guys are all really good poets and criticers of poems so could you take a look at some poems I wrote and help my choose which one to use in a contest? It wouls be greatly appreciated.
Here's the link to the thread I started about it-
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23732

autolycus
04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
all flesh is as light
two thousand golden apples
are a memory

a cross encircled
did the unremembered laugh
celtic to the last?

grey flowers display
masons bow beneath the sky
that their hammers wrought

shield ringed with fire
eight gates pierced with light above
what rough beast was made?

pilgrimage ends here
the century's weary hands
play a nave of swords

old stone holds old air
a thousand years of sainthood
stained glass, empty vaults

shielded from the sky
this sanctity will survive
the meaning of god

=====

Note: I think that photograph is breathtakingly, heartrendingly beautiful. I was there once.

Adolescent09
04-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Has everyone forgotten about this contest?

Orionsbelt
04-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Gathering white light
the universe center
Consumes itself

Darkness encroaching
Peripheral ornament
Standing on cold ground

I gaze as I near
Wandering spirit wondering
What I will become

:D

Petrarch's Love
04-21-2007, 12:25 PM
We've got some great entries so far! Just to remind everyone that this friday is the deadline for the contest, so if you're thinking of entering this round you still have about another week to do so. I know we have some regulars who still haven't submited. Hope to see many more entries as good as the ones we already have, even if it will make my job a little harder. :D

Virgil
04-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Already? Wow that was fast. I'll see if I can get one in.

Petrarch's Love
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day to submit for this round of the contest. However since I'm throwing a big party Saturday and thus probably won't get to judging until after that anyway, I'm willing to extend the deadline by a day if anyone thinks that will help their creative productivity.

Petrarch's Love
04-28-2007, 11:10 AM
O.K. contest extended until midnight (US central time) tonight, since I'll have no time to judge anyway until tomorrow morning. So, this round closes tonight and the results should be posted by Monday.

Petrarch's Love
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
O.K., folks, the results are in. First some response to our fab five for this week:

AdoreroDio--My favorite part of this poem was the last eight or nine lines, especially the final two. The rest of the poem flowed well, and I like telling it from the point of view of the sculpter, but it felt like you really hit your stride near the end.

Pen--Another good entry. I like the way you use the ''shades of grey" both literally and figuratively to interlace the masonry with the morals. You've related a piece of art in a meaningful way to the human experience. My favorite lines were these:

There is hope beyond hope—
There is joy beyond tears—
There is life when death comes calling—

They have a beautiful prayer-like quality to them.

Kandaurov--An unusual approach to the subject of the picture, but I think it works. The hubris of humanity in their buildings and their morals. As someone who's stood under that ceiling, I couldn't quite bring myself to embrace the "scrupulous, hideous, monstrous ceiling," but I see where you're going with that, and from a poetic standpoint I like that you boldly carried through.

autolycus--I really liked this one. Evocative imagery that still retains a certain degree of ambiguity. My favorite part was the last two stanzas:

old stone holds old air
a thousand years of sainthood
stained glass, empty vaults

shielded from the sky
this sanctity will survive
the meaning of god

Beautifully put, and it really evokes the presence of a cathedral. I can tell you've been there, since the feeling of the place comes out in your poem.

Orionsbelt--I like the simplicity of this one. Good imagery and I like the "w" alliteration near the end. Did wonder why the first stanza isn't a haiku like the others, but still enjoyable.

Petrarch's Love
04-30-2007, 01:08 PM
And now (drumroll please) for the results! I should say first that all the entries this week were really good, and it was a tough choice, but I narrowed it down to two that I was very torn between for awhile, and now I've narrowed it down to one.

Pen, I thought your entry this week was especially fine, so why don't you pick the next pic. :)

Virgil
04-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Congratulations Pen. That poem was really good. Your poetry seems to get better and better. :thumbs_up

autolycus
04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Congrats pendragon! A community of infinite variety this, and you the most mercurial of the lot... *grin*

Pendragon
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Whoa. I'm flattered beyond words. My thanks to you, Petra, for choosing my poem, and to all the other poets who entered the contest. I'm still a littled stunned here; I really wasn't expecting to win. Whew! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/FrogPrince.gif

Let me check my images and see what I have on file. http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Thanks.gif

Countess
05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Congrats, Pendragon!

Pendragon
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
This is your image, Poets. Good luck. Deadline a firm May 28. I post the winner on May 31. Write on!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/CreationoftheBirds.jpg

AdoreroDio
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Congrats Pen! And beautiful picture.

Pendragon
05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
What, no poems? What if we threw a poetry contest and nobody entered? http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Upset.gifhttp://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Blues.gif

ktd222
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Pen,

I think this might be because of the form contest that was started. The new comer always gets all the attention. Hopefully it will pick up again though

Pendragon
05-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, I can't complain there. I started that thread myself! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/HouseMouse.gif

Orionsbelt
05-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Congrats and.. don't fret I'm too busy right now but I'll get around. I like the picture. PL thanks for the feed back on the last round. I guess Ooops is all I can say to answer the question. I guess I mis-counted.

Pendragon
05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Whoa! Where's all the poets? Niamh's contest ends the 29th and so far I am the only entry, and this one ends the 28th and no one has entered! I am aghast!

Has it not been fairly said,
"Faint heart n'er won fair lady?"
Are your poetic hearts so full of dread,
Or is it "writer's block" here lately?
Bestir thyself and grab anxious quill,
And set the ink to flowing!
The time is short--no time to kill,
Somewhere the winner sits all unknowing!
Bards all n'er let the quill-tip dry,
Nor the parchment go unmarked by writ--
Bring strong emotion: make us cry--
Bring flames forth from the pen's tip!
It's not too much to ask, I should hope:
Come on, come on: send something you wrote!

Pendragon

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Friends.gif

Niamh
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I'll get one in for this Pen! Then we can be alone together!:lol:
(oh wait...i think Adol entered form...)

Do we just write a poem about what we see in the picture? does there have to be any particular form etc?

Pendragon
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
No form, just about the picture. Which was:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/CreationoftheBirds.jpg

AdoreroDio
05-09-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll post a poem in a sec.......

the silent x
05-09-2007, 10:19 PM
ok, this kinda has somehting to do with the picture and i want to keep this thing going so here is my compilation

Like an eagle in the sky,
I will fly above the rain,
I will fly to you so high,
Though resisted by my chains.

You my father and my king
You my brother all the same,
You released me now I’ll bring,
Light brought by my fire and flame.

To the owl goes the night,
Royal swans, the lakeshore buy,
Eagle, woodland, his noble right,
For my realm, I choose the sky.

I give life through my great light,
And I cause little one’s fun,
At each day and after night,
I assure, I am the sun

Pendragon
05-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I like your style, Silent X! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/ThumbsUp.gif

the silent x
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
thanx, why do you like it so much?

Pendragon
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I'll let you know that when I judge the contest, mon ami! If people get those poems in! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Benie.gif

symphony
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Well let me first say i'm not much of a writer. I just love literature which is why i joined this forum in the first place. Writing is something i rarely dare. But this picture had something flighty in it...so here's my (untitled)attempt.

She gazed at the bars
Blocking her from the doors
To heaven, she lay there
In rue and in remorse.

Her hair disheveled,
Her rags worn out,
She cried, she bled,
In debt and in doubt.

Trussed within her heart
Were the birds of liberty,
Batting their wings,
Fighting to be free…
Seeking but freedom,
Ready to embrace
The Way to Wisdom
And the gala of Grace.

She found but chains;
And no force benign,
Where ruth still reigns,
Where dreams are divine.

Finally, she gave way,
Leaving behind
No chance to convey
Impedance of any kind.

And there they arose,
The birds from her heart,
With a hurtling force
They’ve never learnt to exert.

Bustling and jostling,
Higher they soared
Like a timeless being,
Like a nameless horde.
Swirling and whirling
With the wild wind west,
They rose, never bringing
A balk to their quest.

Some were aggressive,
Ablaze with fire;
Some submissive,
Moved by desire.
Some were little angels
Cloudy and white,
Shining like jewels
In a flourishing flight.

Way down the mountain col,
The evening bells knolled
Redemption of yet another soul,
Salvation of a spirit enthralled.

--------------------

Anyone is allowed to be critical of this or even edit this if need be. I feel more comfortable to think of it as a poem rather than a participation in a contest :lol:

Looking forward to the other poems :)

Pendragon
05-14-2007, 09:39 AM
No edits or criticism, according to the rules at the first page, I believe. The contest Judge, myself this round, will provide comentary on the poems. Write you poets! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/AboutTime.gif

symphony
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Hmmm i really WAS looking forward to reading some more poems on that beautiful picture :( Why is noone else participating? Dont let my wretched attempt at a poem be the only one in there, c'mon! :brickwall

Jolly McJollyso
05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
No form, just about the picture. Which was:

I took mine more from the title than the picture itself:

Creation of the Birds

Grey suit with a red, pocket handkerchief
on the ledge of a window
takes off his wedding ring.

Triskele
05-14-2007, 08:46 PM
ah, an image that strikes a chord of thought to the soul, alas... alas the words fall like lead from mine eyes, seeing without the careful thought that pierced my soul...

Sunstruck

Whispered silk streams poar in torrents
intolerant, and indolent, blank faces stare
with white eyes at the wonder of feathers
dreams wrought with blind hands and heat
moulded and twisted with the love of artist
though a blind eye was turned to the sun
the cold shoulder saw and threw forth an arm
that which hardens as a pair, a clay and earth couple
wings launching them skyward, an icharus freedom
away from creators tender brow furrowd with worry
the mothers tear stained eye looking out
the fathers flat face and hunched shoulders
Once with wax wings they also left, lamenting love
Blinded with sunstruck freedom, with white wings
But feathers fall, echoing down with the past
Coming down to earth, down back to solid love
Going back, and watching, watchig with blind eyes
The next pair of birds take flight, and hit the sky

a bit of a side swipe at the picture, inspiration taken, but perhaps in the wrong direction.

symphony
05-15-2007, 03:52 AM
:banana: thanks for those poems! i was feeling kinda lonesome! :lol:

Pendragon
05-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, that gives me four poems, at least. Where are the usual crowd? Petra, Virgil, Uncle Lar, Drama, Il Pen, 'Dole, Niamh, and others? http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Friends.gif

kandaurov
05-16-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm feeling uninspired and have been having very little time... I'm just posting to encourage others. C'mon, people, this picture ought to stir something you you! :)

'His name no soul knows.
Not one man has ever beheld
Those crystal eyes, or ruby-like,
Or see-through lenses, hollow and wise.

But we do know he lived
And lives on still, eternal flame
Like that of the Sun.

We just know, just like we know
That Death awaits us all, even though
No one alive has ever met Her.

To whom to the birds chant?
And sing songs of longing and praise?
It is to Him, who sows and reaps.
Their lovely throats, their keen eyes,
Their fledging, fluttering, freeing wings,
All are his gifts to them.

The Lord of Birds is mild and kind.
The birds sing with joy
For they know that their last flight
Will be to His loving bosom.'

Look, look at the moon. How high it is!
It is late.
Be your dreams as sweet as this Summer night's warm breeze.
Think no more of Phiggy, now that you know
That he is gone to some place better.

Niamh
05-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Sorry pen i'm still trying to think of something!

Pendragon
05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice Kandy! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/CandyCane.gif

You other poets will have to do this:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Brain.gif Hee-hee! As I recall, he had the same thing every night "Take over the world." Yours will be: "Write poems."! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Grin.gif

vhaney
05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey Pen, I didn't know the picture had changed. This is the best I can do right now.

Great spirit of the sky
Releasing all I know
May I glimpse with single eye
A truth from you that flows
With wisdom in my hand
I trek the mountains height
To wander to my land
Where my spirit takes it's flight

Dante Wodehouse
05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Sonnet (real this time)

And from His hands came the glory of the sky;
For the winds were barren and the clouds unknown.
Bidding them onward, he tossed them awry
So perfect were they, stable in that cyclone.

Them to the sky, the lot yet untaken
To Jove they answer, and nobody else.
Through their wings rushed the wind, freshly awaken
From peaceful Morpheus's deepest wells.

Zephyr rouséd, all the wingéd did soar
and clutched their lot in their taloned grasp.
He was much pleased with them yet more and more
When they struck at the ermine and the asp.

From contour to down, to birds was His heart
Unto them did he uncut grace impart.
They, the crown on his self-implaced duty
Divine joy stemmed from their simple beauty.

Jolly McJollyso
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Sonnet (real this time)
Sure about that?

Dante Wodehouse
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Sure about that?

Certainly. Two added lines doth not a change make. Shakespeare twisted Petrarch's sonnets. I shall call my creation a DWian Sonnet. Or I can just knock off two lines and have no eponymous poem type. I shall do so next time, but I like this DWian Sonnet as is.

Niamh
05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
The thunder crashed its mighty sound,
the lightning it did hit the mound,
Yet Old Bear sat and watched the sight
invoking his ansestors with all his might.

"I call on great owl, he that is wise,
And Hawk Eye and the leaders of the skies,
to show me wisdom, which path to take,
Away from the distruction white settlers make."

The wind did whisper and shook the trees,
The words were carried slowly on the breeze.
"Go." It spoke. "dont falter here to long.
For soon everything will all be gone."

"Go now, It's time for us to leave this land.
And head west before they take the food from our hands.
No longer can we call this our home, our place.
We must find a new and farther space."

And then the wind it calmed and went.
The storm lost the power the wind had sent.
And Old Bear turn his head mournfully to the sky,
and Let the tears of loss and sorrow fall from his eye.

AdoreroDio
05-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Here goes, it's somewhat of a twist you could say- more on the man then the birds :

In this Blood

In this blood is the power of the eagle
majestic and strong.
The beauty of the sun
glinting off gold tipped wings
as he turns to the sky;
so he was chosen.

In this blood
is the all seeing eyes of the
owl and the falcon
by day seeing the smallest mouse
scurrying through the brush
hundreds of yards away.
By night not the slightest detail goes by unseen;
so he was chosen.

In this blood
is the hunter in both
attacking prey and protecting.
Killing all enemies in his path.
A quick and silent death
awaits those who oppose him;
so he was chosen.

In this blood
is the beauty of the bluebird,
whose wings spread out in protection
over speckled blue eggs
and whose song fills the empty air,
and rejoices over triumphs;
so he was chosen.

In this blood
is the humbleness of the sparrow,
simple and lowly,
but fast and intelligent.
In this blood
is the peace of a hundred doves.
Taking flight and
ready to spread peace
to all around;
so he was chosen.

And he was chosen
to lead his flock
to bring strength, power
beauty, and peace to his people
He is The Chosen One
so he will lead
So he was chosen

Pendragon
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Certainly. Two added lines doth not a change make. Shakespeare twisted Petrarch's sonnets. I shall call my creation a DWian Sonnet. Or I can just knock off two lines and have no eponymous poem type. I shall do so next time, but I like this DWian Sonnet as is.
Absolutely! Create a new style! I did with the reversibles we had for the last form competition! Makes for a batch of new blood infused into poetry. Who knows? 100 years from now, maybe they will be studying reversibles and DWian Sonnets as part of poetry!

And Good entries, all. My job is getting harder, which is great! There is still time for more entries, so let your ink flow! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/mailSmiley.gif

Adolescent09
05-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Hello Pendragon, congradualtions on your recent 10,000nth post. I have come back temporarily after a fortnight of school work and a tedious schedule which has proved itself to be anything but flexible. My 'Get your poems Reviewed!' topic will have to be deleted due to my current situation. Although I promised reviews to all who posted, it saddens me to say I cannot do justice to my claims. I'm so mendacious :(

But to get back on topic! Nice poems everyone (especially Niamh). Good Luck(It's really not that good but I wanted to submit something!):D:

Profiteering Exploits

How implacably he twines those rods of gold,
Fettering the past oblivious to future,
From sapling young to proverbial old,
the many wings tell a tale of infamy---

Indellible wrinkles plow his face,
Extensive toil has effaced,
The dire necessity to deviate,
the future portending to eliminate

his profuse lands and monarch pride,
his symbolic bands and dogged stride,
on lands once his turned grey from plight,
purloined by the sailors promoting fright...

Dispatched to the pot on a course of tears,
Deluging their hopes and reaping fear.
From a scarlet iota to pompous crest,
We pillaged to gain and made our loot the best...

Virgil
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi Pen. Sorry I haven't been able to write lately. How much time do I have with this picture? When will you close it down?

Pendragon
05-19-2007, 09:31 AM
May 28, so you have time, Virgil...

Pendragon
05-19-2007, 09:42 AM
And thanks, 'Dole. I didn't realize. I had to go post that landmark! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Greed.gif

Virgil
05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
May 28, so you have time, Virgil...

thanks Pen. I'll try.

autolycus
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
We move around the centres of our space
At any time we cannot know our place
If we are running quickly round apace
Or if we know we find we are unmoved

This is the Uncertainty Principle.

The light is blinding and the grace profound
And if we listen hard we hear the sound
Of angel voices circling all around
A frequency so high that we are moved

This is the Photoelectric Effect.

We see what is to us our hearts' desire
The source and object of an inner fire
And yet we do not know, and to enquire
Invokes the risk that it might be removed

This is the Copenhagen Tyranny.

=====

Note: Heh, this is a challenge. That picture is way too obvious in some ways. I am attempting an abstraction of it, much as I did some competitions ago... :)

Pendragon
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
We move around the centres of our space

=====

Note: Heh, this is a challenge. That picture is way too obvious in some ways. I am attempting an abstraction of it, much as I did some competitions ago... :)Perhaps. But I am of Native American blood... http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/chief.gif More meaning, perhaps to one of us...

autolycus
05-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Pen: Yes, I do accept it would have a lot more meaning to one of your heritage - that's why I think I am avoiding a more mythopoeic or cultural interpretation. I would probably not do justice to the spirit of the image in that sense! :)

Adolescent09
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Speaking of doing justice with the image.. Now that I look over my poem and see how mediocre it is in comparison to the other submissions I feel saddened :(. Talent permeates like a virus on these forums :D

symphony
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Speaking of doing justice with the image.. Now that I look over my poem and see how mediocre it is in comparison to the other submissions I feel saddened :(. Talent permeates like a virus on these forums :D

:bawling: i shouldnt say anything about my "poem" then!!
and speaking of talents, yeah i do see a lot of it in this forum :thumbs_up :D
:blush: one of the reasons why i prefer to just sit and watch rather than to dare write something hehe!

vhaney
05-23-2007, 08:46 AM

I agree with Adol,
Nobody was posting so I sent in a lukewarm noodle, then all these great poems appeared. It was all I could do not to retract mine. :crash:

Pendragon
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Whoa! Degrading yourselfs is the worst thing that you can do. "The road behind, not the road ahead is the one forever barred to our footsteps".

In this case, I will do the judging of the poetry. No one will go without a coment about their poems. If you don't believe me, go back and check the results of the last form poem contest.

But listen to this old poet. The way to publication lies through an ocean of rejection slips. And there are times that the poem you think a sure winner will not make it, while the one you are almost ashamed to enter becomes a masterpiece. So lets have no more self-depreciation, OK? Good luck!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/ZwinkyPen-1.gif

Adolescent09
05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Whoa! Degrading yourselfs is the worst thing that you can do. "The road behind, not the road ahead is the one forever barred to our footsteps". But listen to this old poet. The way to publication lies through an ocean of rejection slips. And there are times that the poem you think a sure winner will not make it, while the one you are almost ashamed to enter becomes a masterpiece. So lets have no more self-depreciation, OK? Good luck!

I was actually criticizing my work to make the other posters feel a bit better :). I like making other people feel good because I'm always miserable. It makes me feel just a little bit better to make others enjoy the happiness I will never expierience.

The way to publication lies through an ocean of rejection slips.
That sounds brilliant and poetic. Perhaps you, the great bard, should make a poem pertaining to publication rejections... as I see you write poetry on literally everything on this forum :D

littlewing53
05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
he occupies the sky
the one who stands alone
he rests amongst the clouds
and plays beyond the wind

the wonder of his power
embraced within his wings
who would know where he resides
to speak his mind to tell

our very thoughts are whispered
before they voice a sound
the treasured memories spoken
in the tall blue skies

he commands the story
strength and grace abound
told by the unseen hand
horizons without end

finely designed feathers
adorn his many friends
painted with absent hesitation
fashioned by a brush

silent noise reverberates
the chatter could not reveal
what was formed upon the plume
tho’ the beak did gladly tell

only one stoops there
the owl who knows so well
the depths of darkness dwell
in a hiss and a hoot
he turned his head around

the one who reflects
gently holds firm
the backward mind
that does recall
the smallness of it all

...i shudder, i utter, i squeeze and i submit...

Pendragon
05-24-2007, 09:32 AM
That sounds brilliant and poetic. Perhaps you, the great bard, should make a poem pertaining to publication rejections... as I see you write poetry on literally everything on this forum :DHee. I have one in my files. I'll have to dig it out and type it back up and post it. It's one I sent in reply to a very snotty rejection letter after I had changed a poem twice for an editor who still rejected it! And please, I am far from the "Great Bard". Others had more popular poetry when the post was working!

Pendragon
05-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Today is the last day for entries. Last call everyone! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Friends.gif

motherhubbard
05-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Perched among the lofty clouds
He crafts the images from his dreams
Giving his secret thoughts flight
And his noble creation wings

His gazes knowingly at his flock
Sorrowful that they will not return
Their wings give them precious freedom
The liberty and escape for which he yearns

Trapped among the spiraling clouds
Hidden above the fog and mist
The bird man hews these noble creatures
Providing for them his earnest wish

Petrarch's Love
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Wow, deadline already. Well here's my effort then. Only wish I hadn't been so busy and had more free time to really do justice to that beautiful picture you posted, Pen.

He moved in circles with steady feet,
Spread borrowed wings to the drummer’s beat,
And raised his voice in a wordless song
That all who heard would remember long.
He reminded those who beheld the sight
Of the old, old tales, and their hearts took flight.
And he danced this dance until the day had come
When the rite was passed to his eldest son.

And now he sits in that time
Of pregnant silence when the beat
Has slowed and stilled in the drums and,
Wrapped in the feathers that are
As much a part of him as a part of the eagle,
He gazes outward, but looks inward.
Grandchildren gather, afraid of the distant coming thunder,
Gather to hear as the breath from his lips forms a steady wind
And his gesturing hands create a host of wonders
And his tales of the many birds begin

How the gentle and the fierce ones spread their wings
To the newborn wind at the start of all things,
How they raised their voices in a wordless cry
As their spirits spread across the living sky,
How this is where all earth spirits began
Even those of the earth-bound man,
And when the last wind blows at the end of things
These spirits take up their forgotten wings.
As his hands move swiftly to match his words
They produce the spirits of a thousand birds
He speaks the old, old tales in the falling night
And all who hear feel their hearts take flight.

symphony
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
:eek: now that I looked at MotherH's and PL's, i noticed(just now!!!) that the man in the pic is a man. Thought it was an old...
oh well may be I was misguided by that long hair, which of course is now too obvious 'cuz he's tribal... :brickwall
But well... may be a "She" would sound better in my poem!(now thats called wishful thinking!! :flare: ) :sick:

Il Penseroso
05-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Something to make the deadline:

The Shaman’s Eye

Birds awaken from his sleeve
alive and fluttering
in a breeze,
beating strength against
his feathered chest.

At each stage of soaring
a lens is built to shear the air,
the glass refraction of an eye
clears raw pulsing clouds,
and shapeless a storm of air
bent by flapping wings
traces fleeting symbols
in lines across the sky.

Pendragon
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks to everyone who entered a poem. The judging will be finished, and the winner up by Tomorrow. Great poetry mes amis. Tough job for the poor judge! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/BeattheComputer.gif

Pendragon
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
The Picture Poetry Contest Results

The Silent X:

I liked your imagery, and you definitely captured the spirit of the picture. This was my favorite part of your poem:

To the owl goes the night,
Royal swans, the lakeshore buy,
Eagle, woodland, his noble right,
For my realm, I choose the sky.

Showing that different birds a specialized for life in different environments, some a nocturnal, some day, some hunters, some waterfowl; yet most have one thing in common: they soar the skies. Well written, nicely flowing poem.

Symphony:

Again, wonderful imagery, though I was a bit mystified by these lines:

Finally, she gave way,
Leaving behind
No chance to convey
Impedance of any kind.

And there they arose,
The birds from her heart,
With a hurtling force
They’ve never learnt to exert.

The figure in the painting is obviously male. Yet the rest of the poem flows well and captures the picture’s spirit well enough to overlook that interpretation. Like, X, you show the differences between the birds. I like it.

Jolly McJollso

Grey suit with a red, pocket handkerchief
on the ledge of a window
takes off his wedding ring.

It is a nice little poem, which I believe you are using as a metaphor for freedom—certainly in the picture, the central figure is releasing the birds, setting them free. Taking off the wedding ring sets Grey Suit free. A strange relation, but a relation.

Triskle

I thought your poem very good. These lines I especially liked:

molded and twisted with the love of artist
though a blind eye was turned to the sun
the cold shoulder saw and threw forth an arm
that which hardens as a pair, a clay and earth couple
wings launching them skyward, an Icharus freedom

Your poem was a beautiful work of art. One thing you need to watch out for is misspelled words. When you submit poetry, as I have for publication, they rip spelling and publication apart!

Kandaurov

A simple, beautiful poem. I liked this section best, I think.

And sing songs of longing and praise?
It is to Him, who sows and reaps.
Their lovely throats, their keen eyes,
Their fledging, fluttering, freeing wings,
All are his gifts to them.

The name of this picture is “Creation of the Birds”, very obviously from the standpoint of Native American beliefs. The “Great Spirit” releases the birds as He makes them. You have them singing praises back to Him. Nice.

Vhaney

Great spirit of the sky
Releasing all I know
May I glimpse with single eye
A truth from you that flows
With wisdom in my hand
I trek the mountains height
To wander to my land
Where my spirit takes it's flight

Your poem is short, but it manages to say a lot about the picture. You give the Great Spirit credit not just for the release of the birds, but everything. Very nice.

Dante Wodehouse

I like the way you are not afraid to take chances with a new form. That is a must for any serious poet. Don’t become bound by the form, or let the form rule you. Write from the soul.

And from His hands came the glory of the sky;
For the winds were barren and the clouds unknown.
Bidding them onward, he tossed them awry
So perfect were they, stable in that cyclone.

That line is my favorite. I have the same warning for you as for Triskle—watch your spelling!

Niamh:

A poem that catches the spirit of The Native American people, though I am not certain it catches the picture’s meaning..

The wind did whisper and shook the trees,
The words were carried slowly on the breeze.
"Go." It spoke. "don’t falter here to long.
For soon everything will all be gone."

My people, the Cherokee, marched the Trail of Tears, some of the bravest returned and retook some of our land here in these mountains and still hold it. To Native American’s the Ancestors are important. It’s a great poem, does it catch the meaning of the art? That is what I’m gonna have to think about.

AdoreroDio

“In This Blood”: I had hoped that someone would notice, and you came the closest. There are the mighty birds of prey rising from The Great Spirit’s hand, but there is a tiny hummingbird there as well, showing that it is as important.

In this blood
is the humbleness of the sparrow,
simple and lowly,
but fast and intelligent.

You wrote these words about the sparrow, another tiny bird. Fantastic.

Adolescent09

‘Dole, you saw in the picture the story of the Redman’s plight.

How implacably he twines those rods of gold,
Fettering the past oblivious to future,
From sapling young to proverbial old,
the many wings tell a tale of infamy---

The tale is certainly on of infamy, I suggest the novel Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, which is not for the faint of heart. Few full blood Native Americans remain in the USA, compared to the population. Very nice poem.

Autolycus

I really am not sure that this picture lends itself to your unique style of poetry.

The light is blinding and the grace profound
And if we listen hard we hear the sound
Of angel voices circling all around
A frequency so high that we are moved

This is the Photoelectric Effect.

Littlewing53

A very nice, well-written, well-flowing poem. And it is fully charged with meaning..

finely designed feathers
adorn his many friends
painted with absent hesitation
fashioned by a brush

I like that line: “painted with absent hesitation”. Like the Great Spirit could see the whole of the color spectrum and had a very hard time choosing, and yet knew all along what colors they should be. Wonderful!

Motherhubbard

Your only fault was that your poem was so short. It is beautiful, and I felt that was much more you might have said, and said very well.

Perched among the lofty clouds
He crafts the images from his dreams
Giving his secret thoughts flight
And his noble creation wings

I love that starting quatrain. It is my own idea of creation. That the creator would have had so much fun dreaming up the creatures and then making them and coloring them. Think about it for a second, guys. You have been given clay, and anything you make will be alive and be able to move once complete. What would you create, and what colors would you use?

Petra

A poet like yourself is hard to judge. A tradition of Native American people that could have inspired this picture was your choice: The Storyteller.

And now he sits in that time
Of pregnant silence when the beat
Has slowed and stilled in the drums and,
Wrapped in the feathers that are
As much a part of him as a part of the eagle,
He gazes outward, but looks inward.
Grandchildren gather, afraid of the distant coming thunder,
Gather to hear as the breath from his lips forms a steady wind
And his gesturing hands create a host of wonders
And his tales of the many birds begin

It is a part of every Powwow, the storytelling, and the traditional dances that tell stories. They are told in the evening around the council fires. How easily the children can imagine they see the images in the sky. Great interpetation.

Il Penseroso

Do not think because your poem got in just under the deadline that it is not worthy of attention. You caught another point I hoped someone would catch:

At each stage of soaring
a lens is built to shear the air,
the glass refraction of an eye
clears raw pulsing clouds,
and shapeless a storm of air
bent by flapping wings
traces fleeting symbols
in lines across the sky.

That pattern made by the other birds; not the ones that erupt from his hand, stands out for me in that picture. You seemed to focus on it as well. Well done.

After all is said and done, you know there can only be one. I must think carefully about this.

My choice is: AdoreroDio

The line with the sparrow captured it for me. I fully expected everyone to focus on those eagles, owls, swans, etc. and miss the smaller birds, the brilliant red cardinal, the tiny hummingbird, the fat sparrow. AndyDio did not overlook the small bird. Congratulations. With The Great Spirit, even the small is great.

Well done poets, one and all! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Soccar.gif

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Judge.gif

Virgil
05-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Congratulations AdoreroDio!!:thumbs_up A very nice poem. I look forward to your picture, so I can get back into this. :)

Petrarch's Love
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Well done, AdoreroDio. I think I would have chosen yours too. Great use of the repetition at the start of each stanza and, as Pen says, I liked the way you covered all the birds both great and small. Really captured the spirit of the picture.

Looking forward to the next pic. :)

symphony
05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
:eek: now that I looked at MotherH's and PL's, i noticed(just now!!!) that the man in the pic is a man. Thought it was an old...
oh well may be I was misguided by that long hair, which of course is now too obvious 'cuz he's tribal... :brickwall
But well... may be a "She" would sound better in my poem!(now thats called wishful thinking!! :flare: ) :sick:

Thats what i meant by that post, Pen. :D I noticed too late that I havent even given the guy a closer look, kept looking at the birds all the time hehe. Anyway, thanks for ur kind comments on all of us.

And CONGRATULATIONS to Adorerodio! :D Looking forward to the next picture by you.

motherhubbard
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
way to go AdoreroDio, you did a fantastic job!

Jolly McJollyso
05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Jolly McJollso

It is a nice little poem, which I believe you are using as a metaphor for freedom—certainly in the picture, the central figure is releasing the birds, setting them free. Taking off the wedding ring sets Grey Suit free. A strange relation, but a relation.
Actually, he's about to commit suicide by jumping off a building ledge. He's creating a bird by attempting to fly for a little while. We can assume his wife probably cheated on him or something, since he takes off the ring.

Also, congrats to AdoreroDio!

autolycus
05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Congratulations, AdoreroDio! Fine detailing there...

Niamh
05-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Congratulations Adorerodio!

littlewing53
05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
congrats adorerodio, awesome beautiful poem....i enjoyed reading everyone's poems and thanks pen for the time you took to respond with your comments to our poems...it gives courage to those of us to continue on in our endeavor to write our thoughts on little pieces of paper in secret...

AdoreroDio
05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll post a pic in a few minutes when I find a great one....
Thanks again!

AdoreroDio
05-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey guys,

Ok, so I was really unsure of what picture I wanted to post. I at first was going to do a picture of something I loved like galloping horse or a road that looked like it had no end but I figured that would not stretch a poets mind- then I wanted to post an abstract picture- something that could have a million different views....after searching and searching plus a little arguing with myself I decided on this picture...it's defiantly not abstract but still can have many different views of it.I hope you enjoy and good luck, I can't wait to read your poems!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x12/adorerodio/Books-.jpg

Adolescent09
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Terrrific picture choice AdoreroDio, and a hearty congrats on your first time winning in a poetry contest :D. I look forward to doing this image more justice on a rhythmic level than my last effort had to offer.

Good luck everyone else!

Petrarch's Love
05-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Amazing pic. AdoreroDio. Should be interesting to write on, though my first association was that Twilight Zone episode with the man who survives as the last person on earth, and he's in front of the ruins of the library with the books scattered everywhere on the steps, and his glasses...:bawling: well, I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen the episode, but maybe you know the one I mean. Anyway, enough rambling, and off to think up a poem. :idea:

AdoreroDio
05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Well......guys about em judging the poetry......uhmmmmmm how can I say this.....
Well I am starting a fast before going to El Salvador this summer with the rest of my team and one of the things I'm fasting is the compy unless for school and this starts on Friday and lasts forty days......which means I won't be on here. I'm really sorry.
Pendragon could you judge for me? I think that you will judge most like I would. I really appreciate it. I really wish I could be on here because it is my first time winning...but God goes before everything in my life.
Sorry again! God Bless. I'll be on tomorrow for prolly the last time until August.

symphony
05-31-2007, 01:45 AM
Great pic Adoredio, reflective. :) Hope to be able to write something on it, and look forward to seeing u among us again as soon as ur back, we'll all miss u. God bless u. Take care. :thumbs_up

Pendragon
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Well......guys about em judging the poetry......uhmmmmmm how can I say this.....
Well I am starting a fast before going to El Salvador this summer with the rest of my team and one of the things I'm fasting is the compy unless for school and this starts on Friday and lasts forty days......which means I won't be on here. I'm really sorry.
Pendragon could you judge for me? I think that you will judge most like I would. I really appreciate it. I really wish I could be on here because it is my first time winning...but God goes before everything in my life.
Sorry again! God Bless. I'll be on tomorrow for prolly the last time until August.Will do. Anything for such a worthy cause. As such, I will not submit a poem for this competition. Be praying for you AndyDio. God Bless.

Pen.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/EasterCross.gif

AdoreroDio
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you very much Pen this means a lot. Good luck everyone in writing your poems! See you in August or whenever I get back on....

Petrarch's Love
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Good luck with your fasting and pilgrimage, AdoreroDio, and we'll look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Pendragon
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I am going to set the date for last entry (provided I get a first one!) on the 7th of July. The results will post by the 9th. AndyDio has a great pic here, and I feel overwhelmed to be chosen as guest judge. So sent in the poems! That picture again is:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Books-.jpg

Pendragon
06-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Without poems, there can be no contest. That would be a sad tribute to AndyDio while on his (oops!) mission of mercy... http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/ISNF.gif

dramasnot6
06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
It feels like I have missed so much in the poetry community here! I will try my best to come up with something for that amazing photo. Good luck to AndyDio on his journey!

Pendragon
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Time Running Out

Where have all the poets gone?
Time is swiftly passing...
Where have all the poets gone?
Time will not run slow...
Where have all the poets gone,
I need some verses for this contest
Come and write a line of two
About the books stacked up high won't you?
When will people ever learn
Books are to read and not to burn?
Will they ever learn...

Pendragon
© 6/11/07

littlewing53
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
dear mr pen....my mind and heart with pen in hand have been contemplating, considering and reflecting on this mighty photo...soon...soon...we shall bring forth our thoughts....isnt the deadline end of july or is it june?

the silent x
06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
finals this week, not much coming from the creative side of the brain right now

Pendragon
06-12-2007, 08:26 AM
dear mr pen....my mind and heart with pen in hand have been contemplating, considering and reflecting on this mighty photo...soon...soon...we shall bring forth our thoughts....isnt the deadline end of july or is it june?Well, I wanted the 7th of July, but having no poems as of yet, I must set it up until July 28th, firm. Judging will be up on July 31st.

Pen

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/PuppyLove.gif

dramasnot6
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Tornado

Stillness is a melancholy comfort
Gone is the baby blue sofa and Sunday afternoon
a swirl of faded madness left me dizzy, waiting for you in the cold
Longing for your arms in wind chill
Left standing in a second-hand stand in Brooklyn
It was in your eyes I was alive, so real until that fatalist resolution whereupon so many problems
arose.
Left here torn, pale except for a bleak yellow complexion
Only these passing breezes flip my pages with swiftness not unlike your impatient touch
Upon being picked up again, I did not forget you
I leafed through my head
Only discovering we were
Blown away

Pendragon
06-15-2007, 10:23 AM
All right, Drama! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/GotGame.gif We are finally started! Offically the Picture Poetry Contest of AndyDio has begun!

Pen

littlewing53
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
In black and white
envision the babble of open books
a clamor of commotion
a symphony of words
a concert of thoughts pressing to be heard

the untouched book is eager
full of anticipation
trusting the orchestra of words arrival
pages upon pages fluttering
excited by the measure of letters

the composers hold back
each book posed to speak in turn
words caught up in a breeze
in the drift of a wind

letters in movement told in parts
each page filled line by line
evolving at a disconnected pace
emerging in a dance of letters

the conductor taps his wand
words finely tuned begin to align
so begins a rehearsal of expression
a harmony of silent words

the pitch, the key exchange places
unable to decide and carelessly unyielding
the books stay in refusal to order

nevertheless....patiently
the words begin to flow
without interruption

the music begins to play
the words are formed
sentences begin to erupt
chapters formed in collection

the conductor’s hand is stilled
silence breaks out
and...another book is read

...geez, unusually long...but once it starts how does one stop!!!..:D

the silent x
06-16-2007, 09:02 PM
The Reaper

The reaper is coming,
Can you hear his breath?
The sound of a thousand pages turning.
In his hand he holds death,
And in yours, you hold nothing.

The reaper is coming,
Your authors have asked it
He is coming to destroy you
You who looted the libraries on whim
And who avoid books like puss.

The reaper is coming,
For the looters of the sacred,
Those who stole the gold,
And made the books burn bright red,
Every work, new and old.

The reaper is coming
To separate the chaff,
Those who left the words a flying in the elements
You who tear the books while you laugh
You who throw aside your literary precedents

The reaper is coming,
Can you feel the chill wind it brings?
It may come on quietly,
Like an assassin with wings,
Or it may come in a flurry

The reaper is coming,
To burn you who burn the literates
Who spat and tore and ripped the words
Who tortured the ones with wits
Who rejected those singing pen-bards

The reaper is here,
But there are those who don’t know,
Those that can’t see.
That they don’t know
The reaper is me.

mushaboo
06-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Squares,Circles,Angles
Geometry, math, science
Life , God, Universe
What?!, you ask how do they relate
Why my friend, that is the language of God!
And by this language the universe is what he came to create.
What?! you dare defy this fact!
How do you think you came to be!
Not only you but:
Me
He and
She

Aha!, but of course, it is obvious why you are blind
You are blinded by those from this fact
They influence you in your thoughts!
and the way you act!

But do not worry my friend!,
for soon you will see.
When you go into the eternal slumber
You will see the truth!, of this fact that was said by me

When you take that one step, that will happen to us all
the one big step in the future, the step to end it all.
Scared?! who, you? but of course silly human!
You are flawed in many ways!, not only by fear
but by anger, and greed,

Those flaws that will one day take the only thing you have left
Exitance

Pendragon
06-17-2007, 09:22 AM
All right! A nice little influx of poetry, and a number of different viewpoints! Our little version of the Rorschach tests (poetically, of course!), is off and running. Welcome to mushaboo! Mind if we shorten that to Shaboo?

Pen, stand-in judge for AndyDio, off on a mission of mercy.

motherhubbard
06-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I’m working on it, but it’s not coming out like I want. Things usually stew until they just spill over for me, but it’s taking a while this time. It’s very frustrating since I won’t read what everyone else has written until I post my poem. I don’t want to inadvertently borrow from one of you, but I’m anxious to know what you’ve written. I hope to finish in a day or two.

symphony
06-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Looking forward to reading urs, motherhubbard :)

I'm urging myself to write a piece before next week. Since from next week, school--> on, life--> off. So I guess I've got less than a week to write something. But, ironic as it is, nothing's coming out, and it will be idiotic of me to force something out, writing cant be anything but freewilled. So perhaps i wont make it in time... But I'm looking forward to reading all of the different insights on this thoughtful picture.

dramasnot6
06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Guess it's good we have a lot of time before the end of the contest, doesn't seem to be much poetry around thus far...

Pendragon
06-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Indeed. AndyDio would be very disappointed with turn out so far, methinks...

Not the poems, the amout of poems!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/ISNF.gif

motherhubbard
06-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, I have one, but since there is so much time left I want to hold incase something else comes to mind. Everytime I read it I change it a little. I haven't read the others but if I don't start feeling better about what I wrote I may chicken out.

Pendragon
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't chicken out! What may seem to you your worst might be what others consider a masterpiece. You take me. I never could understand, and I confess I still do not, the art of Pollack. But someone did, and it is priceless art. I can paint myself, when I try, and could take, say, an Andrew Warhol picture and do a close imitation. Mine would be worthless; his priceless. He does something that I cannot recapture. Only you can write your poems. Think of it that way.

Pen

motherhubbard
06-25-2007, 10:58 AM
well, here it is.

Sacrificed Humanity

Proudly they came, bearing meaty offerings of written word,
Laying upon the sardonic alter a sacrifice too great.
Elated with the promise, and hungry for more and more,
They gave over this great treasure without a second thought.
Knowledge, language, symbols, history, philosophy, and religion - cast off.
Humanity blindly forsaking its humanity, with no sense of loss.

Now the heart of man beats cold, unable to comprehend the price that was paid.
All that can be found of the past is discarded like rubbish.
Ruffling pages cry out to deaf ears, quieting only with the stillness of the wind.
The world, in its push for more, forsook what it already had.
Upon the steps of the alter are the last few remains.
Relics of the past left to the elements.

Knowledge exchanged for apathy. Mankind no more than a shell.
Turn away from the volumes; shield your ears from the truth.
Stand before the judgment lost, blinded and deafened by a barren lust.
What is hollow will not be filled; hunger and thirst will not be quenched.
When morning opens wide and the silence of loss screams,
Who will hear the pleading whisper of origins yearning to be understood?

Pendragon
06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Thank you. Mother H. I will, of course, reserve comments on the poems until the winner is announced, but I have it copied to my list, and will pour over it. Everyone gets a review from me when I am the "Judge", ick, nasty word, that!

Pen.

dramasnot6
06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Great poems everyone :D

Debrasue
06-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe it's not as tragic as it looks…
these steps of lonely, disheveled books…
put out by someone…we don't know why…
books pleading to be touched & admired, by passers by…
books to be taken home and lovingly read….
while cuddled up in an armchair…or sprawled on a bed…
or lying on the grass in the middle of the park… under a tree…
any place is a good place to be…
A book is a friend with memories to share…
some make you laugh…others … lay your soul bare…
And like a friend…you can take a book anywhere…
or just stay home …but not truly alone… with a book there…
because in your caress is where it longs to be…
not languishing on a step...or table…idly
a book hates to be neglected and ignored…
the warmth of your hands and a loving gaze…ahh...to be adored…
pages of knowledge and inspiration offered for your pleasure…
to be voraciously devoured…or languidly consumed at your leisure…
Someday, maybe, books will be uploaded into cyberspace for all to see…
But for now…thank Heaven…These books... on these steps... in the breeze...
seem to whisper "I am here…come touch me....Please!"

Pendragon
06-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Keep 'em coming! All right! http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/PG.gif

ampoule
06-29-2007, 06:38 PM
But isn't it over? :bawling: If not, I might enjoy a go at it. Such fun.

Adolescent09
06-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I gave it my best shot. May luck be with all the contestants and more to come!

The Plea of the Bibliophile

Grant us serve this moment,
to grasp the last of time,
Let us praise each ink-stained firmament
for works so full-divined.

The Pedant -- "It was never meant to meet this fate,
Never meant to mold from prime,
It was never meant to greet such hate,
and never meant to hold a title other than sublime"

How do we rectify a folly,
from the architraves of past*
Why must we devastate humanity
by proporting ignorance to the caste
which suffocates ingenuity
and crowns us in Potentate illiterate doom to last.

**This is supposed to remotely reflect the architraves or beams laterally and horizontally suspended which reaped the blood of the parochial Christians’ savior.

Pendragon
06-30-2007, 09:50 AM
But isn't it over? :bawling: If not, I might enjoy a go at it. Such fun.
No, No. 28th of July. Had to extend this one.
Move the picture forward so all can see what we are to write about:

Pen.

Stand-in for Andy-Dio

Adolescent09
06-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Didn't Andy-Dio give you, Pen, the privelege of running this poetry submission round?

Good Luck!

Pendragon
07-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Didn't Andy-Dio give you, Pen, the privelege of running this poetry submission round?

Good Luck!Yes, he did. And since I had few poems coming in, I extended the date. Andy-Dio won't be back until sometime in August. Meanwhile, come to me, all ye poets!

dramasnot6
07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Only 3 days till Judgement!

motherhubbard
07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I think it's 25 days

dramasnot6
07-04-2007, 04:30 AM
OH,that's right. I was thinking about the old date,woops :blush:

Pendragon
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
And I need poems, without them how can I judge a contest? I have the entries so far, down and can of course, decide between them, but there are more poets out there we need to hear from. If I have no new submissions by the 12th, I will go ahead and judge the contest then. Otherwise the closing date is the 28th. Poems, poems, my kindom for poems!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Lib.gif

Debrasue
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Ha,ha, ha,.....almost my favorite quote!!!

autolycus
07-06-2007, 12:10 AM
it is verdant summer today

as the wyverns make their last stand

in the hall of their ancestors

resistance is made from writing

wire illuminates each row

towards a final solution

see them describe each airy arc

and branching combinatorial

spell out an algebra of grief

the wisdom of the scholar lies

with point and line, assent, decline;

maps out a geometry of pain

fractal and fallen are these leaves -

do you still think that they conceal

an answer to the doom of worlds?

motherhubbard
07-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I keep thinking that tomorrow there will be several people post a poem for the contest. Where is everyone?

Pendragon
07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Anyone else? Or close by the twelfth?

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/CrystalBall.gif

Niamh
07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh Pen sorry i havent had the chance! i'll try get one in soon!

AdoreroDio
07-11-2007, 01:36 AM
I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back!

Since they haven't been judged yet may I once again take the privilege of doing so? My fast ended today so I am able to get on the compy... I've missed it truly! So, what do you say Pendragon- is it too late for me to retake the privilege?

:p :D :p :lol:

motherhubbard
07-11-2007, 01:52 AM
welcome back! are you back from your trip, or just done with your fast?

AdoreroDio
07-11-2007, 02:26 AM
just done with my fast, my trip is this Saturday.

dramasnot6
07-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Welcome back!

symphony
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
wow welcome back AdoreroDio

Petrarch's Love
07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, welcome back Adorero Dio. :) Not entirely clear as to when the deadline is now, but in case it hasn't passed here's my humble effort:

The End

Scattered souls in a heap,
Lives laid open
In haphazard violence.
Upon the steps their final words
Cry out in silence.

Scattered dreams at their end,
Warm love ripped apart by
Lives laid open
On cold stone steps,
The marriage of true minds broken
At the spine.

Scattered forms in dismal piles,
Still and motionless,
Glad animal movements all gone by.
The flesh and blood of Human Anatomy
Torn and left to die
In haphazard violence.

Scattered voices in polyphony
Cry out in silence.
These who told sad tales of the deaths of kings
Meet their own death,
And beside them others cease to sing
A song of themselves with a barbaric Yawp!

Scattered souls walking by
Will you have mercy on these?
Appeal to you,
Appeal only to be heard.
Lift them up, and turn endings to beginnings.
Remember them
As you would be remembered
When you have joined
Scattered souls in a heap.

Pendragon
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back! I'm back!

Since they haven't been judged yet may I once again take the privilege of doing so? My fast ended today so I am able to get on the compy... I've missed it truly! So, what do you say Pendragon- is it too late for me to retake the privilege?

:p :D :p :lol:Retake it, mon ami, with my blessings. As I was going to judge, and have already been overlooking the poems, I shall still not submit. It ends the 12th, since you are back. God Bless.

Pen

AdoreroDio
07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks you very much!

AdoreroDio
07-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Ok then everyone, tomorrow is the final date- get your last minute poems in!

AdoreroDio
07-13-2007, 12:39 AM
ok....any last minute entries?

AdoreroDio
07-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I'll either post the winner tomorrow late, Saturday really early or on the 26th. See you then!

dramasnot6
07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Sounds good Adorero, best wishes for the judging.

Pendragon
07-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Good luck, buddy!

dramasnot6
07-19-2007, 09:14 PM
The tension never weakens when waiting for judging.

dramasnot6
07-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Bump.

Pendragon
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Well, AndyDio did say the 26th...

dramasnot6
07-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Did he? Oh I'm sorry...i got date confused again, excuse the above.

AdoreroDio
07-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey guys sorry bout not posting yesterday! But I had just gotten back from the airport and my family wanted to spend time with me. (^: Give me a couple minutes and I'll post the results.

AdoreroDio
07-26-2007, 09:56 AM
PS To all who are confused, I am a "she"

AdoreroDio
07-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone, great job with the poems- here is what I thought about each one.

Tornado

...Upon being picked up again, I did not forget you
I leafed through my head
Only discovering we were
Blown away
Dramasnot6- I really liked the imagery in this poem. I think it’s a great point of view, different because it’s from the book but intriguing. Great poem. You really captured the feelings I saw in the picture. Those last lines “Only discovering we were Blown away” are really great and this poem caught me all the way to the end.

In black and white
envision the babble of open books
a clamor of commotion
a symphony of words
a concert of thoughts pressing to be heard

the untouched book is eager
full of anticipation
trusting the orchestra of words arrival
pages upon pages fluttering
excited by the measure of letters...

...the conductor’s hand is stilled
silence breaks out
and...another book is read

This is an amazing poem. When I chose the picture I thought most would write of abandoned books, something not so cheery but your poem gives a new point of view for the reader. It made me smile because it seems as if you reached into my mind about what I think about books as I’m reading them then put it flowingly on paper. Very impressive.

The Reaper

The reaper is coming,
Can you hear his breath?
The sound of a thousand pages turning.
In his hand he holds death,
And in yours, you hold nothing.
This is a good poem, as I read it I thought sort of like a “revenge of the books” and the ending is great. You almost did an awesome job on the rhyming, it wasn’t forced and sounded great but what sort of caught me off guard was that Stanza two didn’t seem to follow the rhyme scheme. But I must compliment you on your ability to write unforced rhymes, I know many writers who avoid writing rhymed poetry because it usually sounds like they are working to hard at it and it doesn’t flow. Great job and great word choice as well

Mushabu- I loved the intro, great way to capture your audience but after that this poem confused me. The point of view seemed to be from an inhuman, non-god thing but I couldn’t figure it out. And it seemed to go from books in the beginning to how humans are flawed and will have to die before they understand.

well, here it is.

Sacrificed Humanity

Proudly they came, bearing meaty offerings of written word,
Laying upon the sardonic alter a sacrifice too great.
Elated with the promise, and hungry for more and more,
They gave over this great treasure without a second thought.
Knowledge, language, symbols, history, philosophy, and religion - cast off.
Humanity blindly forsaking its humanity, with no sense of loss.

Now the heart of man beats cold, unable to comprehend the price that was paid.
All that can be found of the past is discarded like rubbish.
Ruffling pages cry out to deaf ears, quieting only with the stillness of the wind.
The world, in its push for more, forsook what it already had.
Upon the steps of the alter are the last few remains.
Relics of the past left to the elements.

Knowledge exchanged for apathy. Mankind no more than a shell.
Turn away from the volumes; shield your ears from the truth.
Stand before the judgment lost, blinded and deafened by a barren lust.
What is hollow will not be filled; hunger and thirst will not be quenched.
When morning opens wide and the silence of loss screams,
Who will hear the pleading whisper of origins yearning to be understood?
Wow...that is a really great poem. You really wrote what I saw in the picture. The imagery and word choice, especially in the first stanza is just exquisite. It flowed really well and I enjoyed reading it very much.

Maybe it's not as tragic as it looks…
these steps of lonely, disheveled books…
put out by someone…we don't know why…
books pleading to be touched & admired, by passers by…
books to be taken home and lovingly read….
while cuddled up in an armchair…or sprawled on a bed…
or lying on the grass in the middle of the park… under a tree…
any place is a good place to be…
A book is a friend with memories to share…
some make you laugh…others … lay your soul bare…
And like a friend…you can take a book anywhere…
or just stay home …but not truly alone… with a book there…
because in your caress is where it longs to be…
not languishing on a step...or table…idly
a book hates to be neglected and ignored…
the warmth of your hands and a loving gaze…ahh...to be adored…
pages of knowledge and inspiration offered for your pleasure…
to be voraciously devoured…or languidly consumed at your leisure…
Someday, maybe, books will be uploaded into cyberspace for all to see…
But for now…thank Heaven…These books... on these steps... in the breeze...
seem to whisper "I am here…come touch me....Please!"
You did an awesome job Debrasue. I loved how well you rhymed, unforced and it really flowed. It really captured the emotions that a book lover would feel when looking at those step of books just waiting to be read. Great job!

I gave it my best shot. May luck be with all the contestants and more to come!

The Plea of the Bibliophile

Grant us serve this moment,
to grasp the last of time,
Let us praise each ink-stained firmament
for works so full-divined.

The Pedant -- "It was never meant to meet this fate,
Never meant to mold from prime,
It was never meant to greet such hate,
and never meant to hold a title other than sublime"

How do we rectify a folly,
from the architraves of past*
Why must we devastate humanity
by proporting ignorance to the caste
which suffocates ingenuity
and crowns us in Potentate illiterate doom to last.

**This is supposed to remotely reflect the architraves or beams laterally and horizontally suspended which reaped the blood of the parochial Christians’ savior.
This was a really good poem It really touched my heart. It truly puts an image in your head that sticks there. Great job. I loved the words you used - The Pedant, architraves, and firmament among many others caught my eye. Great word choice and rhyming

-autolycus
I liked this poem for it’s deep insight and I really like the title. Great use of mathematical terms evenly throughout the whole poem. It made it flow very well and come together as a great poe

The End

Lives laid open
In haphazard violence.
Cry out in silence.....

........Scattered souls walking by
Appeal to you,
Appeal only to be heard.
Remember them
When you have joined
Beautiful poem, it really makes you hear the books from the steps calling out to be picked up and read. I love the line “Lift them up, and turn endings to beginnings.” and this poem really just flows off the page. It’s very well written and has great words

Ok so this was really hard to judge there were so many great poems. It ended up being really difficult to choose between three of them. I loved all of the poems, they are all amazing.
But I believe "the humble effort" of Petrarch's Love really was the best. Congrats Petrarch! You did a really great job!

Yes, welcome back Adorero Dio. :) Not entirely clear as to when the deadline is now, but in case it hasn't passed here's my humble effort:

The End

Lives laid open
In haphazard violence.
Cry out in silence.

Scattered dreams at their end,
Warm love ripped apart by
Lives laid open
On cold stone steps,
The marriage of true minds broken
At the spine.

Scattered forms in dismal piles,
Still and motionless,
Glad animal movements all gone by.
The flesh and blood of Human Anatomy
Torn and left to die
In haphazard violence.

Scattered voices in polyphony
Cry out in silence.
These who told sad tales of the deaths of kings
Meet their own death,
And beside them others cease to sing
A song of themselves with a barbaric Yawp!

Scattered souls walking by
Appeal to you,
Appeal only to be heard.
Remember them
When you have joined

motherhubbard
07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
congratulations Patriarch’s Love!!!! you did a great job!!!

symphony
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah its one of those "oh my!" poems!
Congrats Petrarch's Love.

Pendragon
07-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Good job, Petra. As the ex-facto judge, I will not say if this was the one I would have chosen or not. The job of AndyDio was hard enough...

OK, Petra, what's the next picture? I couldn't enter this one since AndyDio wanted me to judge in her place and then returned to judge anyway...

Pen

littlewing53
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Pet congrats! awesome poem...it was beautiful reflection of the pix

thank you adio for taking the time to review our poems...great choice!..i thought pet's was an incredible poem too...as always the poems posted were beautifully written and inspiring...can't wait for the next pix....

Petrarch's Love
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow, thanks Adorero Dio, and thanks for the other kind comments. I'm honored to have my poem chosen from among all these fine compositions.

O.K., will go off and hunt for a good picture now and post again shortly.

ampoule
07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow, thanks Adorero Dio, and thanks for the other kind comments. I'm honored to have my poem chosen from among all these fine compositions.

O.K., will go off and hunt for a good picture now and post again shortly.

I enjoyed all of the poems also. Congratulations Petrarch! :thumbs_up

PrinceMyshkin
07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Interesting. I'd like to be informed when the next picture is posted.

Petrarch's Love
07-26-2007, 07:41 PM
And here's the picture for the next round. The deadline for entries will be August 19th. Good luck to all of our prolific poets. :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/LeonardoD/dlandair.jpg

Pendragon
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Somehow I got here.

Even Legends Change

I rode high on the winds on the back of my dragon, doing about 40 knots,
When we passed over that fabled fairy Land of Oz, I’d know it by heart.
But the burning deserts that surround that legendary word are now parking lots…

From my vantage point above I could see Emerald City, such a wonderful spot!
The Yellow Brick Road must have given way to new pavement; not on my chart!

Were those The Woogle-Bug Collage and The Wizard Laboratory, those tiny dots?
I hear Professor HM and The Wizard have invented little pills that make one smart!

I saw some sort of a track down in Quadling Country around The Hammerheads rocks,
And I wonder that Glinda the Good would allow such a thing to take place, did she depart?

Then I was hailed from the side by The Yellow Knight astride The Parrotox,
“I say there, Sir Pendragon, if thou wilt but follow me, ‘tis needed at the palace thou art.”

And Ozma was there to meet with all of my old friends from the tales from my box,
“Well,” Said the Princess. “Give the people what they want, and those deserts weren’t smart!”

Pendragon
© 7/27/2007

rabid reader
07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
A day at the amusement park

I walk through this park, this park of lies.
I scold the man, who “braves” the rides.
I snip at this false sense of nature.
Scoffing at the ignorance of its creatures.

The hypocrisy weighed by the dollar
Wages war on true nature, turns dirt into squallier.
As a “brave” man sits in seats so safe,
His eyes on a nature that sits in his way.

The crowds bored with their constant survival
Ask their great masters for more rides arrival.
The swans who had ate from my hand,
Falls victim to the “Sunder Sand.”

So I sit with a view of these nature-less lies.
They care not the beautiful, but only the rides.

Granny5
07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
OK here goes.

AMUSEMENT PARK

We ran through the maze of amusements
Having fun for the sake of fun
Taking advantage of all that was new
Awed by what was offered on the midway
Taking our fill of the excitements
Newfound and thrilling all
No concerns for tomorrow
Or what was to come in the days
Of growing up, growing together, growing old
When did it end, this time of only pleasure
Of laughter for laughter’s sake
When did the slow smile of contentment
Take the place of excitement in the moment
The thrill of what was new
Replaced by the slow growing thrill
Of what we have come to know

stephofthenight
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
broken town...

walking thru the puddles of tears
wishing i could wash away her fears
around the town we called home
thru the house we called our own
i walk next door to see mrs. even
and smile as she hands me that tea of heavan
i think back to the smiles she brought
listening to her storys with tab in my arms
i go back home
without her in my arms
i look at this town
without her it doesnt feel like a home
just a normal ordinary place
houses,roads,schools,
couples dancing in the rain
i think back to that kiss
for the first time i realise...im realy alone
no longer does this down bring me bliss
i walk towards the center of the bridge
where we spent so much time together
knowing i wont be missed
i silently whisper i love you
knowing it wont be returned
and the icy water bites at my skin
as your tears bit at my heart
i dont even fight
i just konw that its right

Virgil
08-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Oh great! I didn't realize we had a new picture. Will have to think about it.

Petrarch's Love
08-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Glad you're going to enter again, Virg. Look forward to reading your entry.

Petrarch's Love
08-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Since I'll be out of town this weekend, I'm extending the deadline by a day from the 19th to Monday the 20th. That still gives you only one more weekend to write, though. Hope to see a few more entries from the talented Lit. Net. poets. :)

Virgil
08-17-2007, 12:24 AM
I've been playing with this form lately. Here's my entry. Thanks for the extension Petrarch. :)

Penetralia

The trees of heaven cast shadows below,
As song birds chatter and fly in the sun.
And the wine that one sips is blessed with white light,
The fields spread in rows to distant
Horizons, small clouds shaped as lips,
Ocean spawned, whisper invocations.
With the ardor of youth
He lifts himself up one branch at a time,
And with his eyes all healed he sees
From the top the dark line of the world,
The trees of heaven cast shadows below.

PrinceMyshkin
08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Taken from the sky, the photo
might be anyplace on Garden Earth,
prosperous, sedate, well-ordered.
But there is turmoil somewhere among those
rows of trees, those graceful buildings.
A lie is being told, an act of callous neglect
or the blessed everyday activities
of our sometimes too ordinary lives.

But the watchers are always there,
if not in the sky then casually passing
by an uncurtained window
or at a table across the way from us
in some restaurant, in the seemingly
unoccupied park as we take an evening stroll.
From behind one of those trees
or lying down in the grass, they look up,
take note of us and wonder, Is he
really as contented as he appears to be?
Is she going to be late
for some life or death appointment?

But we are always seen, if not by satellite,
by ‘God,’ then by
our lovers, or our enemies.
And if there were no other, outside eyes
there would still be that someone inside us
watching, watching...

Petrarch's Love
08-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Great to see some new entries. :) Keep 'em coming folks.

ampoule
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Two Worlds

On fairy dust wings I fly, hovering
between make-believe and reality.
What ticklish fun it was
Pretending in the Real World,
masquerading by day
as hummingbird and butterfly,
by night, a firefly,
Playing hide 'n seek in the twinkle lights,
tricky games that made me hide my mouth and giggle.
But oh, it feels so good to be home, to
alight upon the tip top tree,
to wash myself with evening dew,
to cover myself with this leafy blanket,
to dream of my trip to reality.
Tomorrow it is back to the old grind of
sprinkling fairy dust on those who want to fly,
but best of all
to be Real in the Pretend World.

amp, August Twenty, TwoThousandSeven

ampoule
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I think you changed the deadline to the 20th but if I'm too late, that's okay.

Petrarch's Love
08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Just fine, Ampoule. I met with some harrowing delays on my return anyway, so I'm just now officially closing the contest.

So, for everyone, the contest is now officially closed and I'll finish judging in the next day or so.

rabid reader
08-22-2007, 12:42 AM
*stealth-ly passes Pet an envelop filled with monopoly*

*Upon looks of bemusement on Pet's face, RR raises his index finger and holds it to his lips, suggesting to keep the transaction a secret, then dives into the sea of night*

TheFifthElement
08-22-2007, 07:48 AM
I love this Virgil

Penetralia

With the ardor of youth

"small clouds shaped as lips,ocean spawned, whisper invocations" - inspired.

PrinceMyshkin
08-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I've been playing with this form lately. Here's my entry. Thanks for the extension Petrarch. :)

Damned fine! Oh, damned fine! I've wondered if the many fine poems written & posted here would have been written anyway or if its owing to the inspiration and stimulus of the other excellent poems?

Petrarch's Love
08-24-2007, 01:46 PM
So, I was curious as to what you would all make of this arial shot of Disneyland, and have enjoyed reading over the results. Before announcing a winner, the customary comments:

Pen—As always I love your imagination. The line about the deserts surrounding OZ turned to parking lots was great. Also, big points for going at the villanelle form and really making it work for you. A really creative poem and fun to read.

rabid reader—I thought some of your lines here were really good. For example, the couplet:

The crowds bored with their constant survival
Ask their great masters for more rides arrival.
Really worked well to convey the lackluster sense of the amusement park that your poem revolves around and gave me a great image and a sense of being there. While there were some gems like this couplet, however, I did feel as though other parts of the poem were a little predictable and heavy handed. For example, the sarcasm about the man who “braves” the rides was fine the first time, but the second time began to feel less like nuanced sarcasm and more like someone complaining. Overall though, good submission. (And yes, though I was sorely tempted, I have returned the monopoly bribe and remain an impartial judge. :lol: ).

Granny 5—I thoroughly enjoyed reading this little gem of a poem. Your very natural flowing style really complemented your reflections on the shift from the joys of youth to the joys of maturity. It’s hard to select a favorite line, but I especially enjoyed the last lines:

The thrill of what was new
Replaced by the slow growing thrill
Of what we have come to know
Well done.

Stephofthenight—I could really feel the sadness in your poem and what I liked best was the descriptions of the town as seen through the memory of other, happier, times. I wasn’t sure that the poem really described the picture, since it didn’t really talk about seeing the town from above or anything, but still a good entry.

Virgil—An amazing poem. I will confess right off to missing some of its more ambiguous points (who is it whose eyes are “all healed”? This seems so specific that I can’t help but think you have someone specific in mind) but the use of language and the feelings and images that language conjures are top notch. Of course you also get points for exercising a little used word like “penetralia,” which happens to be one of my favorite obscure words.

Prince Myshkin—My favorite lines in this poem were the opening ones, which were a more elegant version of my own thoughts when selecting this picture for the contest:

Taken from the sky, the photo
might be anyplace on Garden Earth,
I liked the idea of zooming in on what may be hidden, both beneath the serene surface of the tree tops and beneath the serene surface of the people we see. The end you built to with “watching, watching…” was wonderful in the way it blended what I see as a sense in our modern age of omnipresent video cameras and crowded cities of being always watched by others, and a trope from old religious poetry (and elsewhere of course) of being always watched within ourselves. A compelling read.

Ampoule—Do I sense that you recognized the place, and there’s a touch of Tinkerbell here? In any case, I thought your conflation of the two worlds so that the “real” world becomes the place to escape too was quite charming. The last line, “to be real in a pretend world” was my favorite. Fun to read.

Petrarch's Love
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Choosing among all these fine submissions was indeed agonizing, and there were a couple in particular that I was hard pressed to choose between, but I've decided that the prize goes to Virgil for this round. His submission was really a wonderful bit of poetry. I reproduce it below:

Penetralia

With the ardor of youth

Have fun picking the next picture Virg.

PrinceMyshkin
08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your comments on my submission and for the often elucidating comments on the others as well.

And my congratulations to Virgil & his fine, fine poem!

rabid reader
08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
(And yes, though I was sorely tempted, I have returned the monopoly bribe and remain an impartial judge)

Too bad, good put yourself up in a nice hotel on Parkway with that kinda cashola. Thanks for the words though. I agree that the 2 Braves was over doing it, if I were to re-write though I think I would remove the first one. The main subject of the poem though was the contradictory attitudes of amusement parks and especially the people who walk amongst them. They determine their bravery by sitting on perfectly safe rides, while admiring nature, until they are bored with the rides and their safety and demand more rides, which of course means destroying the nature that they claim to enjoy. At least that was the message I was trying to convey.

And congrats Virgil, it wasn't even much of a competition :D

Granny5
08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Congratulation Virgil! Good work. Now, what picture have you got for us?

Virgil
08-24-2007, 02:46 PM
:eek: :eek: Oh my, I didn't honestly think it would win. Thank you Petrarch, R.R., Prince, and Granny. I read several of the poems here and thought several were better than mine. As to the poem, it's one stanza from a larger work I've been trying to write and it struck me that this stanza sort of fit the picture. So I submitted it. I intend to put out the larger poem for comment here as it matures. Each stanza is in a french rondel form (I forget the specific one), where this is a 13 line stanza where the first two lines are repeated as the 6th and 7th lines and then the first line is repeated again as the closing 13th. It's really a cool form where the repeatitions really add an emotional touch. I was inspired to use this form from a French poem called "Pierrot Lunaire" which was also marvelously put to music (in German though) by Arnold Schonberg.

As to the next picture, I will have to look around. I'll get back in a day or so.

littlewing53
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
congrats virgil, wonderful poem....

Janine
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Congratulations to Virgil for winning!.......I loved your poem and will be anxious to read the complete masterpiece work. I like the idea of the repetitions and noticed them right away - really emphasises your point.
Good ideas and I particularly liked some of the phrasing.

...and this goes almost without saying, but my highest regards, as well, to all the contestants. Everyone made a wonderful show and wrote some fine poems; I enjoyed reading them. I thought the picture was a particularly difficult one. I like the different angles in which people perceived it.

Petrarch's Love
08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh my, I didn't honestly think it would win. Thank you Petrarch, R.R., Prince, and Granny. I read several of the poems here and thought several were better than mine. As to the poem, it's one stanza from a larger work I've been trying to write and it struck me that this stanza sort of fit the picture. So I submitted it. I intend to put out the larger poem for comment here as it matures.

Glad to hear it's part of a larger work. I'll look forward to seeing the complete oevre.

Each stanza is in a french rondel form (I forget the specific one), where this is a 13 line stanza where the first two lines are repeated as the 6th and 7th lines and then the first line is repeated again as the closing 13th. It's really a cool form where the repeatitions really add an emotional touch. I was inspired to use this form from a French poem called "Pierrot Lunaire" which was also marvelously put to music (in German though) by Arnold Schonberg.

Yes, I was quite impressed to see both a villanelle and a rondel submitted to this round. You used the repetitions beautifully. As for Perrot Lunaire, do you read Francais or German, or are there good English translations of the poems in Rondel form? I read them in the French awhile back after first hearing the Schonberg, and remember thinking they were exceedingly odd but striking. There was one, which I don't think Schonberg uses, about le coucher de soleil (sunset) that had an image of a sun "qui ouvre ses veines" ("who opens his veins"--quoting from memory so not exact). Strange but memorable. Can't say that I've ever been able to really like the Schonberg, though I can admire it as an amazing piece of music. Glad the poems are inspiring your to venture rondel writing.

Petrarch's Love
08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Too bad, good put yourself up in a nice hotel on Parkway with that kinda cashola.
I know. Darn that conscience. :p

Thanks for the words though. I agree that the 2 Braves was over doing it, if I were to re-write though I think I would remove the first one. The main subject of the poem though was the contradictory attitudes of amusement parks and especially the people who walk amongst them. They determine their bravery by sitting on perfectly safe rides, while admiring nature, until they are bored with the rides and their safety and demand more rides, which of course means destroying the nature that they claim to enjoy. At least that was the message I was trying to convey.

Yes, I think you really got that across in the poem. I was mainly criticising little fine points that I thought might have made a good poem even better. ;)

ampoule
08-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Congrats Virgil!
And thank you Petrarch for your kind words. :)

Virgil
08-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Thank you little wing, Janine, and Ampoule.

Glad to hear it's part of a larger work. I'll look forward to seeing the complete oevre.

OK, I would like comments.

As for Perrot Lunaire, do you read Francais or German, or are there good English translations of the poems in Rondel form? I read them in the French awhile back after first hearing the Schonberg, and remember thinking they were exceedingly odd but striking. There was one, which I don't think Schonberg uses, about le coucher de soleil (sunset) that had an image of a sun "qui ouvre ses veines" ("who opens his veins"--quoting from memory so not exact). Strange but memorable. Can't say that I've ever been able to really like the Schonberg, though I can admire it as an amazing piece of music. Glad the poems are inspiring your to venture rondel writing.
No I read a few in English from a book explaining Schonberg's music. Both the music and the poems captured me. I did a quick search and found an English translation of the poetry on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Albert-Girauds-Pierrot-Lunaire-Odyssey/dp/1931112029. I think I will order it.

motherhubbard
08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Congratulations Virgil. Aren't you glad to have more time here!

Virgil
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks Mom-H. I am glad.

Poppy
08-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Hear, hear Virgil. A tip of the barley malt to you on a job well done.

Pendragon
08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you kindly, Petra, for the kind words about my imagination. Way to go, Virgil, my Wolf-brother! It was a darn good poem!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Smilies/Appaluse.gif

stephofthenight
08-25-2007, 08:20 PM
congrats virgil, was indeed a wonderfull poem

Virgil
08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Thank you Poopy, Pen, and Steph. :)

OK, after some thought I have chosen this as the picture for this next go around. No deadline yet. Think it over. Once we get five or six submissions I'll strat pick a date to close it. Have fun. :)

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/EUR/1400-15354~Egyptian-Art-Nefertari-Posters.jpg

dramasnot6
08-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Congrats Virgil, we have a copy of this piece of art at home! It's near the breakfast table, i shall ponder possible poems in the morning :)

Riesa
08-29-2007, 10:51 PM
nicely done, Virgil. I wasn't familiar with the form, but the repeated lines gives it a nice solidity.
I love the idea of climbing so high, high enough to get that amazing view.

was this about Papa?

congratulations.

I'll work on one for yours, i like the picture you chose. while in highschool, i was very much interested in the Ancient Egyptians.

Riesa
08-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Thank you Poopy, Pen, and Steph. :)

ahem, misspelling my user name is one thing, but Poppy's is quite another.

(don't count this post against me if I manage to create a poem for this, please):p :) ;)

Il Penseroso
08-30-2007, 12:14 AM
I noticed the typo also, but couldn't figure out a tactful way to key Virgil in on it. :)

Virgil
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
ahem, misspelling my user name is one thing, but Poppy's is quite another.

(don't count this post against me if I manage to create a poem for this, please):p :) ;)

:lol: :lol: Oh I'm so sorry Poppy. (Oh I almost did it again. I know there is a repeated letter there and my fingers just want to do double oo.) Oh I can't stop laughing. :lol:

Poppy
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
:lol: :lol: Oh I'm so sorry Poppy. (Oh I almost did it again. I know there is a repeated letter there and my fingers just want to do double oo.) Oh I can't stop laughing. :lol:

Hey Virgin, no problem. :lol:
~Poopy

CdnReader
08-30-2007, 08:09 AM
LOL! You guys are killin' me here.... LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pendragon
08-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, I was going to hold off for a while, but as it happens, I have been reading about the subject of this picture, and well, I hope the poem stands on its own. I hate to be the first poster as a rule, but here goes:

Reading Between the Hieroglyphics

Hey, Nefertiti,
Indeed, the beautiful one had come,
Was that perfect body filled with love,
Or eaten up with jealous poison?

Hey, Nefertiti,
Tell me, were you of Egyptian Royal birth,
Reach your position by your father’s tricks and dirk,
Come from some other land on Earth?

Hey, Nefertiti,
You’re holding hands with Akhenaten,
Guess he hasn’t caught you then,
Trying on his crown and royal emblems…

Hey, Nefertiti,
How did it feel to reign as a Pharaoh?
It was long before any modern man would ever know,
Because your people hid your secret long ago.

Hey, Nefertiti,
We didn’t mind knowing you just for your beauty,
Priceless beyond any ruby,
Sometimes it’s best to just stick to your duty.

Hey, Nefertiti,
If you could chose now between that immortal face that none forget,
Or having power for a time over Egypt,
And be hidden away as something that they all regret...

Hey, Nefertiti—
Anaubis is calling…
Choose well…

Dale Harris
© 8/30/07

autolycus
08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
How shall I remember you,
And you of the green eyes,
And you of the sharp mind?
How shall my remembrance speak
Of you with the long feet,
And you with the soft speech?

I have written the words here;
But they are like water
And they are like summer.
I have crafted a poem;
But it fades in the air
And dies in the winter.

How can I keep faith, my friend
Who walked with a brave heart,
Who led soldiers in war?
How can I hold memories
Of my younger brothers
In my agèd fingers?

I have walked along the road;
But the city is lost
And I scent the autumn.
I have followed the cold trail;
But the ending is doubt
And I will not see spring.

Virgil
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Virgin, no problem. :lol:
~Poopy

LOL! You guys are killin' me here.... LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I let out a laugh out loud here at work and I hope no one thinks I'm insane. :lol: Very good Poppy. :)

Pen, Auto - great start to this!! I see this is already going to be tough. :thumbs_up

andave_ya
08-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Do we have to follow a certain poetry structure or can we do freeform?

Virgil
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Do we have to follow a certain poetry structure or can we do freeform?

No Andy, picture poetry contest does not stipulate anything except some, and it can even be tenuous, relavence to the picture. I hope you will try. :) But no need to rush. This won't end for several weeks or even maybe a month.

andave_ya
08-30-2007, 11:01 PM
deleted post. sorry!

Granny5
09-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, here goes.

Hold My Hand

Hold my hand and I will lead you
to the paradise you seek.
I will show you untold pleasures
found only once in this life.
Hold my hand and I will take you
to places you want to go.
And we will share the pleasure
of seeing them together.
Hold my hand and I will
give you strength,
I will make you powerful
beyond your wildest dreams.
Hold my hand, sweet one,
stay with me always
and I will forever love you.
Only you, my love, only you.
Hold my hand and follow me
throughout this lifetime
from birth to death
and all lifetimes to follow.
Hold my hand, my love,
and together we will rule,
standing together always,
transcending time and space.
Hold my hand and we will go
together forever into bliss.
And when we are born again
you will know my touch
and know we are meant
to be as one.

CdnReader
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
WOWZERS, GRANNY! That's SPECTACULAR!! :)

Granny5
09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
WOWZERS, GRANNY! That's SPECTACULAR!! :)

Thank you, Cdn. I was a little worried. But I figured I might as well bite the bullet, right.

Granny5
09-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I wonder what's going on with this thread. I only count 3 entries and it's been since Aug. 26.

autolycus
09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
This place is like a hospital. It requires patience.

Pendragon
09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes, it does require patience at times. I do think it also requires us to start thinking like writers. When the deadline is given, meet it, don't ask for extentions. If there are rules, follow them, or expect rejection. That's how it works in the real world. I am not hard-hearted. I published some of my work before I became disabled, some while going to school full-time and working my internship as required, etc. It took a long time for most authors to become able to make it on writing alone. You have to make time for writing. One successful author of my aquantice says he writes every day for two hours at a given time. He never throws out anything he writes, he sends everything to publishers. He now makes his living and has for some time as a full time writer. It didn't happen overnight. It took work, meeting deadlines, and finding what the publisher wanted. But it worked. And for many others as well. We are poets and writers, none masters, all students helping each other. Some here are published in books, some in magazines, etc. Some still await their first publication. But we learn from each other, and this is something to consider anyway.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/AbsalomKane/Four/Nada.gif

Virgil
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Sometimes it takes time. I would prefer at least five entries before I start judging.

ampoule
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Has a deadline ever been set?

Granny5
09-13-2007, 01:43 PM

this is what Virgil posted on the 30th of August:

But no need to rush. This won't end for several weeks or even maybe a month.

motherhubbard
09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I bet that it will be a while. His mom had surgery and he's going to see her tomorrow.

Virgil
09-13-2007, 02:10 PM

No I have not set a deadline. Do people want me to?

Granny5
09-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Doesn't matter to me. Hope your Mom is doing ok.

motherhubbard
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't, I keep thinking I'll have a revelation and get a poem written

Virgil
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks Granny. OK, why don't we hold off another week on setting a deadline.

browneyedbailey
09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
She sits silently,
Waiting, waiting.
Locked up in her father's palace.
"What?!?!" she cried to the heavens.
"Why not tell me? Who can relese me from my stone prision??"
As she weeps she finds it is to late.

Granny5
09-13-2007, 08:29 PM
She sits silently,
Waiting, waiting.
Locked up in her father's palace.
"What?!?!" she cried to the heavens.
"Why not tell me? Who can relese me from my stone prision??"
As she weeps she finds it is to late.

Great Job Bailey-Boo (you must take after your Granny!)

browneyedbailey
09-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks but I think I got it from myself.

dramasnot6
09-16-2007, 01:56 AM
I don't, I keep thinking I'll have a revelation and get a poem written

:lol: I'll second that!

stephofthenight
09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
this picture is murderous! lol because i cant think of anything, sorry guys ive tried and tried and nothing comes. but all of yalls poems are lovley!

littlewing53
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
i agree steph...i've been toiling and writing a word or two and have yet to come up with anything...tho i really enjoy the pics...

TheFifthElement
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Phew! This one was tough, but I've written 'something', hope you like it!

Falling in Love at the Natural History Museum

I saw him first in special exhibits,
guiding a sullen crowd drawn from
the streets by the warm summer rain.
A crowd too dull to see the
intricacy of the sturdy soldiers,
opposing the fine, expressive
gestures of his hands.
I followed weakly, picking up
the words he dropped so
carelessly on the floor;
I followed drinking in each
fluid movement graceful
as the warm summer rain;
I followed at a distance
knowing only the
colour of his smile,
and the sharp edge
of this unexpected desire.

It happened in Egyptology.
Shrouded in darkness,
attention focussed
on a small exhibit,
a work of art,
of Isis and Osiris
hand in hand,
eternal lovers.
He told their story
in a voice that flowed like
warm summer rain.
How Isis’s love
made Osiris into
a God.
And all I could hear was
“Love”!
He glanced my way,
and my heart flowed
like warm summer rain…

…and the rest, as they say, is history.

Virgil
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
OK let's set a deadline now. The last day to enter a poem shall be the end of the month, September 30th.

Petrarch's Love
09-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Glad you extended the deadline, Virg. Found a little time to scribble this afternoon and came up with this:

The Afterthoughts of Nefertari

The goddess who carries the sun on her head
Leads me as mother leads child.
That ineluctable pull
That startles us from ourselves sometimes in life
Is gentler now, once resistance is dead.

And life fragments around us into scattered words;
Words chanted by live voices,
Words changed to signs as voices fade,
Signs separate from words become images,
Scattered images blur into the prime
That was before anything was.

Eye and feather, sliding serpent,
Ship that coasts on orange waves
Gilded lilies, mud-made houses
Wandering limbs and arms embraced
Hawk beside the kneeling priestess
All one enigmatic phrase

Her fingers entwine intimately with mine--
Which are cold and stiff to bend--
Bringing the first flush of warmth
As I learn new language.
Language without words
Image without sight
Knowledge without thought
Life without death
And I follow
The goddess who carries the sun on her head.

symphony
10-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Am i too late? Couldnt bring my eyes to any of the contests going this month due to those exams. This picture is really good! :( I can see Hathor in there.

Virgil
10-01-2007, 06:56 AM
I'll give a few more days. How's that Symph? I'll close this on Thursday.

symphony
10-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Sorry, because even if I'm late I cant help posting something. :p The excitement of recognising Hathor in here wont let me stop.

The other one in here is Amon, isnt it? Sorry if i'm wrong though... I'll still give it a shot. :D

Hathor and Amon

Her existence within
Those withered amber scripts
Shone through the faded hieroglyphs--
Too bright for the parchment to hold.
The strength of his hand
Within the whorls of hers
Stirred through the pages.

Between her and me
Rests a long path of time,
Her existence is yellowed,
Obscure in a few blurry scribbles
By an unknown hand of forgotten years;
Mine, however, is fixed in present.
And still I heard her voice,
Sonorous in the silence—
I am the Queen of Dance,
The Mistress of Music,
The One who fills the sanctuary with joy…
The joy of secreting the cosmos?
The Joy of Love, came the whisper,

I have loved.
I have breathed
The Breath of Life.

And it was then that I
Felt her existence,
Not in the yellowed parchments,
But in the golden sun
And in the golden sand…

And through the Breeze of Life
Ran the voice of the celestial goddess…
I have loved.

P.S.
Unless of course you already know:
Hathor is the egyptian goddess of Music, Dance, Love etc etc. Her symbol is the cow, she is known as the cow-deity. The Milky Way is said to be secreted from her breast as milk.
Amon is mainly known as the god of fertility, virility, masculine strength, etc etc. But he is also known as the God of the Breath of Life. Thats all i know about him so...

Sorry again if time is out.

EDIT: heheh, no thats not Amon, thats Nefertari! Didnt read the entries first + should have looked at it more carefully. Anyway, my mistake! :( It wont be wise to edit it now, so *shrug* .

symphony
10-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh! Thank u so much Uncle Virg, for extending it.
:)

dramasnot6
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Great poems everyone! Guess I'll miss out on this round, my brain isn't allowing any creativity amidst all my studying :brickwall good luck!

Petrarch's Love
10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
EDIT: heheh, no thats not Amon, thats Nefertari! Didnt read the entries first + should have looked at it more carefully. Anyway, my mistake! It wont be wise to edit it now, so *shrug* .

Since it came up, and in case anyone was curious, the figures in the picture are Queen Nefertari and the goddess Isis. I don't think it really matters if you decided they're other characters for the purpose of the contest though. Poetic license! :)

symphony
10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Isis?? Thought it's Hathor with Nerfertari....

TheFifthElement
10-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Isis?? Thought it's Hathor with Nerfertari....

There'a a great deal of similarity between Isis and Hathor, as with many Egyptian deities the attributes of earlier deities was merged into later ones (in this case Isis appeared later.). I believe that this depicts Isis, but I don't think it really matters, as I understand it Virgil is looking for the picture to act as inspiration, but how we interpret it is up to us!

By the way - it's an excellent poem Symphony, really beautifully written :)

symphony
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Ah its Hathor. There's a somewhat similar picture of Hathor and Nefertari around the bottom of this page (http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/hathor.html). There's a temple (abu simbel) depicting Nefertari and Hathor together holding hands, I think this picture was taken from that.
But well, Isis has been confused/merged with Hathor at times. Plus, in some depictions she is seen with cow horns too. :)

Edit: I see we posted together, Fifth :p
And thanks for the compliment. :)

Petrarch's Love
10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, I agree that it doesn't really matter who these people are for the purpose of the contest, but since I have a book that labels this as Nefertari and Isis, I did a little more poking around because I wanted to know the truth.:idea: Isis and Hathor are almost identical looking, but the picture Virg. gives really does seem to be of Isis leading Nefertari to meet Osiris. It comes from the tomb of Nefertari. Here's one site that shows it in its original context, which I found interesting to see, since it's so easy to forget how these things are interacting with the other pictures around them when you just see a picture in a book or online. http://www.gallica.co.uk/Egypt/page14.htm Anyway, Isis, Hathor; tomato, tomahto, back to the contest. :p

By the way, Symphony, regardless of who's who I agree with fifthelement. I really liked your poem.

Virgil
10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Well thanks Petrarch. I will not hold any incorrect understanding of the poem against anyone. I will judge strictly on the poetry.

NickAdams
10-03-2007, 12:24 AM
I just came upon this. I'm glad the deadline was extended to Thursday. I wanted to write more poetry, so this is a good outlet.

O Lady

O Lady who hath charity, what deed imparts the day?
The damned, raised off their treading bellies, forsake labors on
Her head.
O Lady, my Queen, I shall be thy crown.

O Lady who hath conduct, what ground wears the day?
The lost, guided through foreign labyrinths, forsake labors on
Her hand.
O Lady, my Light, I shall follow thee.

O Lady who hath history, what tale scribes the day?
The poets, privileged pens, granted labors on
Her name.
O Lady, my Muse, I shall immortalize thee.

symphony
10-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Well, I agree that it doesn't really matter who these people are for the purpose of the contest, but since I have a book that labels this as Nefertari and Isis, I did a little more poking around because I wanted to know the truth.:idea: Isis and Hathor are almost identical looking, but the picture Virg. gives really does seem to be of Isis leading Nefertari to meet Osiris. It comes from the tomb of Nefertari. Here's one site that shows it in its original context, which I found interesting to see, since it's so easy to forget how these things are interacting with the other pictures around them when you just see a picture in a book or online. http://www.gallica.co.uk/Egypt/page14.htm Anyway, Isis, Hathor; tomato, tomahto, back to the contest. :p

Who would have thought this (http://www.gallica.co.uk/Egypt/page14.htm) and this (http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/hathor_nefertari.jpg) would be different!! :eek: These gods and goddesses rise a hell of a confusion everywhere :p . Anyway, as Petrarch said, back to the contest. :) And thanks for clearing it to me, Petrarch. Though I've gladly decided I'd never take Egyptology as a subject in my life. :p

By the way, Symphony, regardless of who's who I agree with fifthelement. I really liked your poem.
Thanks :D Coming from you, that really means much to me, since I've loved and admired every poem I've seen by you so far. :)

Petrarch's Love
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Though I've gladly decided I'd never take Egyptology as a subject in my life.

Nay, don't be turned aside from a perfectly lovely subject because Isis and Hathor happen to be twins. :p Surely this sort of confusion could only spur us on to take more Egyptology and learn to read Hieroglyphs so that we can always make authoritative claims. ;)

Thanks Coming from you, that really means much to me, since I've loved and admired every poem I've seen by you so far.

:blush:
What a very kind compliment Symphony. I'm very glad if some of my poems have brought you enjoyment. :)

browneyedbailey
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
so who won?!?!?!?!