PDA

View Full Version : Humanitarianism at it's best.

wyatt_earp
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I created an account solely to post an opinion on this novel, since nobody else has. I enjoyed Anna Karenina and vaguely remember enjoying parts of War and Peace, but this book has truly captivated me. I am not Christian but this book has reached me spiritually more so than Hesse or any other classic.

I have only read the first 2/3 of this book. The book is a bit on the dark side as most other classic russian novels are. It is a classic russian version of Haulden Caulfield and Catcher in the Rye, expressed from the view of a cynical upper-class russian who sees failure with the current system at the time. The main character, Nekhludoff's, obsession with the discrepancies between the upper class and the lower class lead him to a "resurrection".

We all know the world is not a fair place, but not many do anything about it. Most middle/upper class people continue to strive for power and material possessions to justify their self-importance while ignoring the sufferings of the unfortunate lower-class. Nekhludoff sees the hypocrisy of the upper class imprisoning the lower class for the same crimes that they themselves commit, ie: theft and murder. Of course the upper-class gets the "get out of jail free card" based on the accepted rules of society, ie: shady business practices and war. The upper-class uses religion and trivial gossip to keep themselves satisfied with their moral convictions. Nekhludoff gives up his lofty position in upper-class society to make a difference for the unfortunate ones, and in the process feels happiness and develops a true love for his fellow man.

Enough ranting since I have yet to read the third, and final, book. Maybe he will regret all of his actions and return to a life of selfishness, vanity and materialism.

bazarov
01-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Agree with most above; except Tolstoy again too idealized main hero, same like Andrey and Levin. But still, excellent novel.