PDA

View Full Version : ESSAY help please

mgacam2
04-02-2007, 10:14 AM
So here is my essay question.

How do Elizabeth Bennet's ideas on marriage differ from her society's? Which characters in the movel share Elizabeth's views of marriage and which characters reflect society's perspective?

So basicly..can you guys help me out. I need to write an essay based on this and im wondering which characters share Elizabeths views and which dont? and what exactly is the essay asking me to answer. It just sorta seems like a narrative essay question.

Any help would be great. Thanks

sciencefan
04-02-2007, 12:35 PM
So here is my essay question.

How do Elizabeth Bennet's ideas on marriage differ from her society's? Which characters in the movel share Elizabeth's views of marriage and which characters reflect society's perspective?

So basicly..can you guys help me out. I need to write an essay based on this and im wondering which characters share Elizabeths views and which dont? and what exactly is the essay asking me to answer. It just sorta seems like a narrative essay question.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Ok. Here's my opinion.
In those days, marriage was based on financial considerations, and societal connections, more than on physical attraction or emotional compatibility.

Elizabeth refuses to marry for money even though she is presented with a situation which would save her family from destitution once her father is dead.
Elizabeth wants to marry for love.
Who else wants to marry for love?
I believe Jane does, however she would be willing to sacrifice herself for her family- ie I believe she would have married Mr. Collins if he would have asked her.
Darcy is influenced by the old ideas, struggles and fights against them, and eventually gives way to the idea that he must marry for love regardless of the financial or societal condescension.

Mrs. Bennett believes her girls should marry into money in order to save the family.
Lady C. would have Darcy marry her daughter even though he doesn't love her because of the financial power to be gained from such a match.
Mr. Collins and Charlotte marry for respectability and financial security.

Mrs. Bennett - it is ALL she wants
"``If I can but see one of my daughters happily settled at Netherfield,'' said Mrs. Bennet to her husband, ``and all the others equally well married, I shall have nothing to wish for.''" chapter 3

Society's views voiced by Mrs. Hurst and Darcy-
"``I have an excessive regard for Jane Bennet, she is really a very sweet girl, and I wish with all my heart she were well settled. But with such a father and mother, and such low connections, I am afraid there is no chance of it.''
...their uncle is an attorney in Meryton
...another, who lives somewhere near Cheapside
``But it must very materially lessen their chance of marrying men of any consideration in the world,'' replied Darcy." chapter 8

Charlotte's opinion on finding a mate-
"...if she were married to him to-morrow, I should think she had as good a chance of happiness as if she were to be studying his character for a twelvemonth. Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always contrive to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." chapter 6

Elizabeth- true affection brings happiness in marriage
"She saw her, in idea, settled in that very house, in all the felicity which a marriage of true affection could bestow" chapter 18

Mrs. Bennett- Mr. Collins is good enough
"Of having another daughter married to Mr. Collins, she thought with equal certainty, and with considerable, though not equal, pleasure. Elizabeth was the least dear to her of all her children; and though the man and the match were quite good enough for her..." chapter 18
"The business of her life was to get her daughters married" chapter 1

Charlotte - and her society's view -
"Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be their pleasantest preservative from want." chapter 22

"I ask only a comfortable home; and considering Mr. Collins's character, connections, and situation in life, I am convinced that my chance of happiness with him is as fair as most people can boast on entering the marriage state." chapter 22

Elizabeth - she would rather starve than marry someone she does not respect
"She had always felt that Charlotte's opinion of matrimony was not exactly like her own, but she could not have supposed it possible that, when called into action, she would have sacrificed every better feeling to worldly advantage." chapter 22

Colonel Fitzwilliam has to find a woman with money.

Darcy's list of all that he struggled to overcome is in his first proposal to Elizabeth.

Aunt Gardiner warns Lizzie to be careful not to entertain the idea of marrying a man with no money. chapter 26

Well that's quite enough to give you some ideas to get started, I think.