PDA

View Full Version : The Scarlet Letter?!

Matt the Man
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Is it any good? :thumbs_up?

Maida
03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I personally didn't like it, but I know that a lot of other people I know did. I guess it depends on whether or not you like Hawthorne's style. The novel itself seems to ask a lot of questions, but Hawthorne doesn't provide any real answers. I think it was written during the romanticism era, so if you like books from that period you should probably check it out.

*Classic*Charm*
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
you don't have to like it, you just have to appreciate it!:D I found it a slow read, but worth it. The character development is interesting, especially Chillingworth.

godhelpme2
03-31-2007, 08:14 AM
the major topic of the novel is about the sin. As Hawthorne's ancestors have commited a lot of sins, it more or less affects his style of writings, in which he wants eagerly to express his wish of salvation.

LambentMoonight
07-26-2007, 12:30 PM
It's my favorite book and I highly suggest it. It has a lot of depth in my opinion and the character developments are very well done. It brings up a lot of issues in the society of the characters.

Dori
07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I read it and probably liked it more than the rest of my class. Chillingworth was what ultimately caught my interests.