PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Being Earnest

p0w3r_7ur7l3
03-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Hello,

Since this is my first post, I may as well introduce myself here. My name is p0w3r 7ur7l3. Done. lol. ;)

Actually, this thread is of a more serious nature. I have signed up in order to ask questions of, what appears at any rate, to be a community where the average intelligence level is quite a bit higher than at, say, sparknotes. I decided to create my own thread instead of necroposting some of the other IoBE threads since my questions are of a somewhat different nature.

And, before you ask and flame, yes I am writting an essay for an english course; no I don't want you to write it for me, yes I have given thought to the issues at hand before I took 15 minutes to sign up here and post and then wait for intelligent replies. Thank you.

The basic topic of my essay will be to compare the clown characters within Marlow's Faustus to the characters of Miss Prism/DD Chasuble in IoBE and analyse their contribution to any relevant themes. I have only two issues: I am having a *very* hard time finding solid source material dealing with these points (ie: journals, literary critiques, etc...). I am also having a hard time with an in-depth look at Mrs. Prism. I understand the metaphor inherent with her name, and the reference to Dickens' earlier work (with Mrs. General) but aside from the prunes'n'prisms reference there isn't much (in the way of verifiable quotations) to substantiate the use of Mrs. Prism as the object of satire. I'd like to use her to contrast with Algy and Jack and to reafirm their critique of all things fashionable and with 'class' but I need some academic sources.

I would be most in debt to you if anyone could shed some light onto a deeper interpretation of Mrs. Prisms/DD Chasuble's characters and/or provide links or article names to any academic sources that may be relevant to my point of view. I have access to all the standard journal databases and so forth that any university would, so if all you have is an article name that you found online at your own campus, odds are that I will be able to find it.

Thank you very much for your help, I am...uh... earnestly awaiting your response. <breaks into splinter voice, "I made a FUNNY!">

- Ryan

TL : DR = I need help finding academic sources/articles/quotations to aid me in my characterizing Mrs. Prism and comparing said characterization to a smiliar comparison to the clown characters in Dr. Faustus.

Just noticed that this thread was properly moved to Wilde's forum. Thanks and sorry I didn't put it there to begin with. I failed to see his name on the list of specific authors.

- Ryan

Dante Wodehouse
03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I have never read IoBE, but from what I know about it it seems very satiric. Wilde is an Irishman, Irishmen traditionally dislike-hate English aristocracy and nobility (Jonathon Swift turned them into the Lilliputians). Mrs. Prisms, if what I know of the play is correct (if not I am making a fool of myself), is an enforcer of the aristocracy. I have not read the play, but I would think that she would be made foolish in it. As to the clown in Dr. Faustus, he is willingly and knowingly a fool while Mrs. Prism takes herself seriously. That is about all I can think of as far as their being directly comparable at this moment. I'll have to read the play.

Ally Price
05-21-2010, 02:03 AM
but for anyone else searching for info re Prism in IoBE, there is an academic essay which explains the importance of Prism's name and her role. Of interest to those wanting info on IoBE starts on pg 11. The article can be found on Periodical Archives Online. Author, Tittle etc is Partridge, E. B., THE IMPORTANCE OF NOT BEING EARNEST., Bucknell Review, 9:2 (1960:May) p.143

And if Ryan sees this. Maybe it's still nagging at the back of your head.

thanosmiloulis1
10-22-2011, 04:20 AM
The plot of the theatrical movie unravels one character and moments of his life. Jack Worthing is the main protagonist of the play and he dominates in the whole story and the narration. His objectives are to marry Gwendolen and he come against to his character and physical traits. Lady Bracknell has to give her consent in order Gwendolen to get married, which comes in great conflict to take approval with Jack as he has to pass some kind of test. That is stated with the words as “I fell bound to tell you that you’re not in my list”. Jack has named himself Earnest and he claims to answer lady’s Bracknell questions that he does not have any recollection of his childhood or even remember who his parents are which makes him unacceptable.
Lady Bracknell reinforces Jack with the example of the handbag to find out who his parents are as it is unacceptable and he cannot get married. Jack lies and innovates a secret life which eventually hide the truth of what he really was the true importance of being earnest.
Even the title of the play creates a great conflict and comedy between the characters. Indeed Jack had a great life in the city as a bachelor and he appears to marry Gwendolen as Earnest where he stops and no longer is Jack. Being Earnest in the environment of Gwendolen and Jack in the city creates the comedian element and the conflict with his multiple identities. His brother also appears as Earnest and tries to make Cecily fall in love as second role of being Earnest. Even the name provides as heard a confidence and this is what Gwendolen is looking for to marry, the element of deception and manipulation is obvious in the story as Jack in order to fulfill his goal he has to accept and overcome the obstacles by being Earnest. When Jack states “it is hard for a man to find out suddenly that he has been speaking nothing but the truth” it is the ultimate proof of irony and the comedy reaches its climax. Jack attains his goals through lies.
Oscar Wilde wanted to show with Jack as a character in his brain that even with a story full of lies and deceit he could create a man with wonderful fresh new life copout with love. The struggle that he’s willing to take to reach his ultimate goal and the way that he develops his character is what makes him earnest. The whole didactic element of the play is to show that even in a contemporary society people could lead life full of lies and deceit but they had the wonderful life setting on the back which could make them change and become honest and acceptable. What is wrong or what is right during the play it is up to everyone’s discretion to decide since nobody is infallible. The two characters that appear in the plot an innocent and e con-artist are typical figures of everyday life. By being earnest doesn’t necessarily mean that one’s life cannot change. It is a matter of goals and objectives that everyone has to plan and can not only change his name and parents, but his whole entire life. Jack’s drives and objectives made him move towards to another path of life and let him live back his double life with the importance of getting married who he loved and become earnest.
Our life in daily basis is surrounded by many talented male and female characters that are eager to take great steps and become Earnest.
(Words: 600)