PDA

View Full Version : should I finish Great Expectations?

Weisinheimer
03-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey, I'm a little over half way through Great Expectations, and it's getting pretty boring. I like Dickens' writing, but there's isn't really anything happening. Does it get better? or should I find another book to read?

manolia
03-30-2007, 07:16 PM
I believe that you should finish it. I read it a few months ago and i found it pretty interesting to the end. Certainly not the best Dickens book i have read. You know there is an interesting plot twist towards the end, but i guess that you will figure it out sooner that it is due and you won't be surprised eventually. Anyway i do not easilly give up a book i read. In fact it has happened to me only once or twice, with really boring (at least for my tastes) books. So go on!! Besides it is a classic and classics always recompense one way or the other (even if the theme doesn't appeal to you the use of language and the dickensian expressions will do the trick).

lavendar1
03-30-2007, 09:39 PM
I'd say "keep reading" just for Dickens' character descriptions and development. Joe is one of my all-time favorite characters. You know, there's all this literary-type talk that a character has to somehow change and all that baloney, but good old Joe ... wait a minute. You'd better read to find out for yourself. Dickens also shows wonderful humor at times in his writing, and gives insight into the times in which he lived. Read on. You won't regret it.

kilted exile
03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
You have to finish this book, as manolia mentions there is plenty still to take place.

THX-1138
03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Dickins was paid by installment for his works, so you can imagine why his works are long,and he was criticized for this long-winded writings.But it is worth reading and it is a must in every list .

ladymacbeth
03-31-2007, 05:44 PM
It does get a bit boring once Pip gets to London, but you MUST keep reading. Once you get to Chapter 39, you will not want to put it down. The story is engrossing and each chapter seems to end on a cliffhanger. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Weisinheimer
04-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Once you get to Chapter 39, you will not want to put it down.
:lol: I just checked to see what chapter I was on, and the last one I read was chapter 38. So, after this next chapter I'll be hooked, right? OK, I'll go for it.

ladymacbeth
04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh no, I could be in trouble by now. Let me know how it's going.

Weisinheimer
04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Ok, I'm almost done. It is getting pretty interesting now. It's taking me forever because I've been really busy. I'll give you all a report when I finish.

RJbibliophil
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Finish it. The plot is amazingly interwoven and intricate. The real themes come at the end. But the strange events documented at the beginning are necessary.

Weisinheimer
09-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I forgot about this thread.
Well anyway, I finished the book. It did start to get more interesting once he finds out who his benefactor is. But I still think there wasn't enough happening. So I'm glad I read it, it wasn't without enjoyment. It's not one of my favorites, though.
I really liked Joe. He's my favorite character in the book. I disliked Pip. He's so fickle and shallow. Yeah, I know, he learns his lesson, and by the end of the book he's a better person. Nope, still don't like him, even at the end.