PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Hallam

Hallam
03-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Hello, I am a new member.
I have a special interest in Tennyson's dear friend Arthur A Hallam, the subject of "In Memorium". Does anyone have any biograhical information on Hallam, e.g. where did he live, did he have a family, what was his profession, what were his interests, what attracted Tennyson to him, what took him to Vienna (where he died) and for how long did he live there, etc.? It seems a shame to have a work like "In Memorium" written to mourn a person of whom we seem to know so little.

Virgil
03-28-2007, 06:50 AM
I googled it and you can find the results here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Arthur+Hallam+&btnG=Google+Search.

Miss Madison
04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I know Hallam and Lord Alfred Tennyson first acquired friendship at university together. Also, the fact that Tennyson uses a poem to commemorate the memory of his dear friend suggests that perhaps Hallam and he shared a similar bond of poetry and maybe this is what directed their friendship? However, this is pure speculation upon my part, so please don't take it as fact!

Woodmeister
05-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi; I don't know if this will help you in your search for Arthur Hallam but I have a book, published (6th edition) in 1839, titled "Hallam's Middle Ages" by one Henry Hallam. Perhaps he is Arthurs father and this literary connection is how they met. Hallam's Middle ages was published in England.

mystery_spell
09-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Alfred, Lord Tennyson and Arthur Hallam became friends while at university. They were both in the Apostles club together. Hallam encouraged Tennyson in his poetry early on. There was also a relationship between Hallam and Tennyson's sister, Emily. They were going to get married, but Hallam died overseas. The death unmistakably affected Tennyson.