PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (? or !)

hockeychick8792
03-27-2007, 09:36 AM
As many of you probably know I started the Animal Farm thread. Now, I ask you the same thing about 20,000 Leagues. It is very boring :redface: so far and I feel he uses to many big words that are not needed:confused: . Help me again to stay away from the Spark Notes. What do you think of the book?"

The Atheist
03-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I can answer your question two ways:

The bibliophile in me says, learn to see past the words and revel in the story.

The rational part of me says - if you can't love Animal Farm and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, you're probably not going to get enough out of them to make an honest paper.

Head for the notes.

;)

ClaesGefvenberg
03-30-2007, 02:42 AM
It is very boring :redface: so far and I feel he uses to many big words that are not needed:confused:I think you have to read it with the fact that it was written during another era in mind. The language used reflects that time.

I also see it as an example of very good science fiction. You need to consider the technical level of the time in order to appreciate it, though. Circumnavigating the globe underwater may be all in a days work today, but back then it was not.

/Claes

hockeychick8792
03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks. BUT i found out that Sparke Notes does not have 20,000 leagues under the sea. Are there any other cheat sites?

ClaesGefvenberg
03-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks. BUT i found out that Sparke Notes does not have 20,000 leagues under the sea. Are there any other cheat sites?I wouldn't know. I happen to enjoy reading ;)

Honestly: Sometimes the evasion seems to be harder work than just getting on with it, so why not just bite the bullet and read the confounded thing? Then we can discuss it in ernest.

/Claes

hockeychick8792
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Its not that I don't enjoy reading...
I just don't like this book...
He uses the Victorian style writing that is too detailed for me. Big words... Big explanations... It is too much for a student who enjoys something atleast a little fun!!!

Ratroo
08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Although there are some long-winded sections where Verne describes and classifies the animals under the sea, it is easy enough to skim through those parts. The remaining 85% of the novel, in my opinion, is excellent. If you can persevere by skimming through the "scientific" parts, I think you might find the novel to be enjoyable overall.

Happy reading!

hockeychick8792
09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
All right it has been a while since any one has posted but school has started back up I recieved an A on the test any one need help. (not answers but help)