PDA

View Full Version : Critical Evaluation?

OldWarChant
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Hello

I am really needing to write a critical evaluation tomorrow for school (I am 16) on Shakespeare's MacBeth. I have a problem but, I do not have any idea what to write: I must prove that he was evil. I do not know how to conclude my work or if my points are analyzed enough

"Why MacBeth Is a Butcher

Was Macbeth really evil? Was he a good man lead astray? In this evaluation I will analyze the behaviours of Macbeth and his surrounding environments and come to a conclusion.

“O valiant cousin, worthy gentleman”

It is true that the character of Macbeth murdered and became a tyranical leader, but to begin with when he was Thane of Glamis and Cawdor, he was hailed as a brave and heroic man.

”Fair is foul, foul is fair”

This refers to one of the main themes in the play, that one should not “judge a book by it’s cover”. The good things in life are disguised obscenities and are evil. The mask of deception which Macbeth wears relates to this theme, so the very theme of the play suggests that Macbeth was simply a butcher.

“..and shall be King herafter”

Upon hearing the witches prophecy, Macbeth is driven by ambition; they told him he was destined to be King. He knew that MacDonwald had already betrayed his allegiance to King Duncan and that after the demise of the King he would be an heir to the throne. However, he cannot control his need for power and in his soliquay we learn of his plans to kill Duncan. This shows that Macbeth’s huge, and often dangerous, ambition can solely allow him to contemplate murder.

”And live a coward . . . When you durst do it, then you were a man; And, to be more than what you were, you would be so much more the man”

Lady Macbeth, is often portrayed as the dominant partner and “driving force” in her partnership with Macbeth. She manipulates her husband using careful words, attacking his male ego to the point where she knows he will try to prove himself. Branding him a ‘coward’ is sure to provoke many men to turn to his instinctual desires: his lust for power. By questioning his manhood she finally persuades MacBeth to commit his first murder, which he had previously decided against. This speech from Lady MacBeth could disprove the theory that MacBeth was born evil. However, MacBeth may be accepting her provacative statements and her guidance as a subconscious means of reducing his own responsibility for the crime.

“…The deep damnation of his taking off; And pity, like a naked newborn babe; Striding the blast, or heaven, cherubin hors’d ; upon the sightless couriers of the air ; Shall blow the horrid deed in every eye; That tears shall drown the wind”

This proves that MacBeth aknowledges the murder of Duncan as wrong, yet he decides to kill him anyway. This proves that, even before his spirit was broken by the guilt he feels after the crime, he was capable of murder. He was simply a butcher.

”… but I could not say amen”

This suggests Macbeth does have a conscience, as he felt unworthy to offer himself to God. This remorse could be conceived as a sign that he is not an evil man, but acts of murder reflect more about a persons personality than the lack of confidence they feel in the aftermath of the crime. It is human nature to feel guilt and also to strive for power, but as a mentally unbalanced individual MacBeth allowed his feelings to drive him to murder. Naturally, his guilt would have be shown in his actions too...."

This is how far I have gotten so far, Thank you for any suggestions..:$

reham languages
12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
hi how are u all i want someone to help me in the theme of soldiership in macbeth i`m in bad need of it

Miro
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I,as well, am in need of it. Plz someone help so soon=(

Miro
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I have an exam after 3 days and I'm really in need of it as I can't find it on the google search!!