PDA

View Full Version : i need help!!! Essay

paper
03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
The saffold and the red letter A are important symbols in the book. Explain the forms in which the appear in the book their symbolic meanings . which was more important? why ?

please.. somebody help me ...

paper
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
who can help me .....

shirin908
04-22-2007, 07:29 AM
The saffold and the red letter A are important symbols in the book. Explain the forms in which the appear in the book their symbolic meanings . which was more important? why ?

please.. somebody help me ...

Hester Prynne after committing adultery and being made to wear the dress marked by the scarlet letter is now “as the figure, the body, the reality of sin”: This is how the puritan society pictures her. But she, by undergoing the penance- by remaining in the town- implies that this sin is not of her weakness but is of her power of character and gradually changes the meaning of the scarlet letter on her bosom. And as we see in chapter 5 - Hester at her needle- she proves that she is not a conformist but is an active one: “with her native energy of character and rare capacity, it could not cast her off…” here, in fact the letter “A” turns out to signify “able” i.e. she is able to over come the situation she’s involved I; What people also confess about her in chapter 13: Another view of Hester. She also “had in her nature a rich, voluptuous oriental characteristic- a taste for the gorgeously beautiful…” so, “A” appears to be symbol of the “Art” she possessed and through which she attended social events. As the story goes, by remaining of Hester in the town and making something different out of her sin- by gaining salvation out of her sin just as Adam and Eve did- we see the letter “A” turning to imply the word “Angle”. She turns out to be the angel in society, the one who the others refer to in order to solve their problems and take advices from. This is also another view of the symbolic letter that people come to confess in chapter 13: Another view of Hester. In the same chapter we also read that the letter “A” on her bosom interpreted by people as the cross on a nun’s bosom.