PDA

View Full Version : evolution of the Edgar character in King Lear

danbreen
03-17-2007, 08:48 AM
I have to write a paper on how Edgar's character evolves throughout the King Lear plot. Can anybody help? (All I know is he's chased from court by his half brother who makes Gloucester think Edgar's plotting against him, and he disguises as a blind man so as not to have to leave his land, but how does he MORALLY evolve, if he does at all)?:)

byquist
03-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Get Harold Bloom's big book about all of Shakespeare's plays "The Invention of the Human." He talks about Edgar a lot and places him very high in importance. He says that Edgar goes way beyond what is normal when he goes over the top and changes into "Poor Tom." Recommend you read that Bloom chapter about Lear in a bookstore or buy it.

dyingflame
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
if you read or have seen any version of the play, you know Edgar evolves morally and that his experience as poor tom hardens him and prepares him to face the treachery of his half-brother; in the beginning he seems to be rather mild and gullible; he, like his father, is so ready to believe Edmund's words, that Edgar seems to have serious personality issues of self-credibility. After his experiences however, he comes out and stands as the play's strong closing figure, pronouncing the last words: "the young shall rise when the old doth fall" and claiming, proudly, for me it seems- "My name is Edgar, and thy father's son."