PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everybody

Arabian Eyes
03-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi there,

As you know I'm a new member. I don't know anyone here.
Ummm, I want ur help guys, PLZ?

Can u just answer my questions about Pride & Prejudice Story, PLZ?

1- Where and when the book "Pride & Prejudice" set?

2- How Elizabeth Bennet overcomes her prejudice against Mr Darcy and how he learns to control his pride in the novel Pride & prejudice?? Plz give at least 5 examples?? PLZ

Waiting

Arabian Eyes
03-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks 4 helping me guys

Thank you Online Literature

sciencefan
03-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi there,

As you know I'm a new member. I don't know anyone here.
Ummm, I want ur help guys, PLZ?

Can u just answer my questions about Pride & Prejudice Story, PLZ?

1- Where and when the book "Pride & Prejudice" set?

2- How Elizabeth Bennet overcomes her prejudice against Mr Darcy and how he learns to control his pride in the novel Pride & prejudice?? Plz give at least 5 examples?? PLZ

Waiting
You can find a lot of background information at this website including the answer to your first question, in the first sentence.
http://www.jasa.net.au/study/indivsoc.htm

Did you read the book?

Concerning question number two, even though I just read the book twice last month, I can’t answer the question!
I would have had to have read it with that question in mind.
I can’t think of specific examples.
Maybe somebody else can.
I only have a general idea which will not be much help.

Elizabeth overcomes her first (prejudicial) impression of Mr. Darcy by learning more about him:
in the way he helped Lydia, in the way he helped Jane,
and in the way he changed his behavior toward people in general for Elizabeth’s sake.

Perhaps Darcy overcame his pride the same way: by learning more about Elizabeth.
Austen doesn’t tell us!
He was attracted to Elizabeth and he wanted her so he was willing to change in order to get her- as far as I can tell.

Somebody else who has already thought through this will have to help you out on question 2.

When is your assignment due?

sciencefan
03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
pride
n.
-A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
-Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association.
-Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.
-An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.

prej·u·dice
n.
-An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
-A preconceived preference or idea.
-Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.

sciencefan
03-16-2007, 09:57 AM
We find out exactly what Darcy and Elizabeth think of each other during the first marriage proposal, from the dialog that takes place there.
The first proposal is in chapter 34.
http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/prideprejudice/34

Frankly, I think there is a lot more insight available about how Elizabeth’s ideas change, than how Darcy’s change.
A lot of Elizabeth’s original preconceptions are changed when she reads the letter he writes after the first proposal.

You can search for instances where those opinions are overcome.
It might be kind of tedious, but I would do a search for every instance of the word Darcy.
http://www.online-literature.com/austen/prideprejudice/

You can scan the context for information concerning how they overcome their preconceived ideas about each other.

Arabian Eyes
03-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Thank you Dear, u r so kind >> my assignment due is 2moro :( but thank you very much dear.

JBI
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I would post what you want, but it seems somewhat unethical that I give you the answers to an assignment due tomorrow, based on a book that a) you didn't really read, or b) you really didn't understand.

Arabian Eyes
03-17-2007, 11:56 PM
HI JBI, thanks dear ... I don't need ur help :)
HUNH

spacetoon
03-31-2007, 01:22 AM
I am not that good at giving examples, but this might help a little.

Lizzy realizes that she misjudge Darcy and Wickham too when he sends her a letter. A letter that makes her know she wasn't wrong to trust Wickham. He shows her the real Wickham. As I recall, after she recieves the letter, she starts to talk to herself knowing that she has the first wrong impression toward Darcy. But still, she has yet to know more about his character.

I hope this might help.. I am sorry if it's not helpful, but I like to share my thoughts, it helps me improve my understanding as well.