PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to Ms. Pawel's E8

rpawel
03-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi all,

We're going to be using this as a tool, I hope, so I wanted to say hello quickly. Here are some questions to think about for Chapter 9 "Dressing for Tea"

1. Why is Mr. Hale nervous about inviting Mr. Thornton?
2. Why is Mrs. Hale annoyed by the invitation?
3. Why is Mr. Thornton nervous about the invitation?
4. Why is his mother annoyed by it?
5. How does Margaret feel about the invitation?
6. This chapter has two parts, the first dealing with the Hales preparing for tea, and the second dealing with Mr. Thornton and his mother. How do these two parts COMPLEMENT each other? How are they symmetrical?

Any questions or comments about the chapter are more than welcome! Extra credit to those who post the answers!

prowesse
05-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I am working on North and South nowadays. Hopefully, after finishing it in these couple of days, I will be able to discuss this piece of prose with you.

Guinivere
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
1. Mr Thornton is his pupil, so Mr Hale usually acts as a teacher towards him. Now in station Mr Thornton is above him, as he is a successful mill owner and entrepreneur. Their conversation were often related to his studies (e.g. they studied Plato).
2. Mrs Hale is a very naive person. She dwells too often about what other people think and is sure that Mr Thornton eing a common man in her eyes should not be allowed in her parlor. As a student, a means for her family to earn money he is allowed, but as a destinguished guest surely not.
3. His thoughts of course always concern Margret and what she might think of him, entering her home as a guest. He knows that she is a strong, and independent - minded woman. He doesn't expect konfrontation, but he certainly want to make a good impression. Mr Thornton often doesn't understand er reserve towards him.
4. Well mrs Thornton thinks that her son visiting the Hales in their humble home is letting himself down. She thinks of him as one of Milton's finest mill owners and doesn't believe that taking te with the Hales could serve a purpose. She always looks upon every non-workrelated activity as idleness.
5. Well margret's feelings towards Mr Thornton are very confused and at times even paradox. She doesn't aprove of his conduct towards his workers but at tse same time doesn't really know much about business in general and Mr Thornton in particular. She is very prejudiced and somewhat annoyed that he is coming for tea because she doesn't really know how to feel about him.
6. Well I think there is a symetry between thne women. Both Mrs Hale and Mrs Thornton pretend to be above the other family. They wish as little contacs as possible.

Well that's my humble opinion. But I have read the novel numerous times and done some research.