03-02-2007, 08:36 AM
our profesor told us that the names of thecharacters of Jane Eyre
has a differant meaning
and she want from us to search about it
i search but did not find any thing
could you help me?:bawling:

vin1391
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Did you mean name meanings or....inner meanings.If you meant name meanings I saw some meanings of names in

http://www.behindthename.com/

Try it out...Hope it helped.

BASEMAH
03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I Did Not Knew
My Proffesor Said That There Is
A Mean To Every Name
I Think She Mean That Bronte Does Not
But These Names Just Like This
But For Reasons
Like The Schoole Where She Stood
And Thonfild And Other

vin1391
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hmm..The School was Lowood I think..that does not make much sense But Thornfield does in a way.

Thornfield..A field of thorns...and amid it a rose..

Think of it like this..Jane found a Rose viz. Rochester but he was surrounded by thorns..viz.Bertha.Since Bertha was alive Jane could not marry him that copuld be against her Moral...so it can be viewd like a thorn filled field.Maybe?

BASEMAH
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
thank you any way
I like the wep you give it to me
it is interisting
thanks

vin1391
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Its ok.If you want anything more ask.I'll see if I can do anything.

BASEMAH
03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't knew
but if you have any think written
in your computer about Jain you could
send it to me by e mail???

vin1391
03-11-2007, 04:26 AM
I'll check...I am not promising anything but I'll look into it.

When is the last date?

Lioness_Heart
03-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I think that 'R's are supposed to be significant... like with Rochester, and the Red Room...

Charles Darnay
03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Lowood = Low wood: A school for the lowest of the low.

Aunt Reed's home, Ghasthead (I think that's it, been awhile), resembles "ghastly" and gives off a ghastly, horrid feeling

BASEMAH
03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
THANK YOU vin
I have 3 weeks...
and there is no mater if you can not

BASEMAH
03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
liones heart thank you for your comment

BASEMAH
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
charles darnay thank you too

vin1391
03-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Did she give any specific sentence when giving this work...like any more information.... about what she wants... any clues?

glitsy
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
umm maybe ur proffesor meant about the characters.
Helen being a saintly name, saint Helen.
Miss temple, temple pure worship etc
hmm just a thought

vin1391
03-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I found this website on Jane Eyre....its good...se if it helps...I am not sure though..

There is also a synopsis on the whole book...look into it...I don't ave much time for reading it completely..

http://www.litnotes.co.uk/index.htm

^ scroll down some time and in the left oane you can see Jane Eyre,Synopsis, Characters.

sciencefan
03-30-2007, 09:04 AM
our profesor told us that the names of thecharacters of Jane Eyre
has a differant meaning
and she want from us to search about it
i search but did not find any thing
could you help me?:bawling:
That is quite an interesting concept!

I have read Jane Eyre twice, but too long ago to remember fine details.
I did however, watch 2 versions of Jane Eyre on film this week.
(Don't bother viewing the Mirimax version. If they had used different names, hardly anyone would have recognized the plot, it was so changed.)

I watched with the subtitles on, and I noticed how ironic it was that such an angelic friend, who believed she was going to heaven, should be named Helen Burns, since she was probably not going to go to Hell-en-Burn. She didn't die of fever (burn), but consumption (tuberculosis) and she had no fever (chapter 9). The name must be reflective of what the mean teacher thought of Helen. Interesting that someone (probably Jane Eyre) put a grave stone on Helen's grave that said "resurgam" a Latin word meaning "I shall rise again."

I also noticed how ironic it was that Jane Eyre is not the heir of anything. She is a penniless orphan who has not even love. Yet at the end we find she is an heir.

"Thornfield" is an appropriate name for the abode of a prickly man.

"Lowood" seems right for a place where children are made low.

St. John (meaning "God is gracious") , Diana (meaning "divine") and Mary (meaning "bitter" but is a much beloved name having been the name of the mother of Jesus) are all goodness and light kind of names.

Well, that is all I have time for.
I wish you good success.

BASEMAH
04-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Thank you sciencefan it is very interesting
what you have said is very eccaptable to me
I will see what I can do
thanks alot

kerrienatalie
04-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Have you noticed how the references to fire are almost always at times when Jane is feeling happy, contented etc? The name 'Burns' obviously refers to fire, as Jane finds friendship in Helen, but shows how Jane's passion can sometimes be destructive. 'Miss Temple' carries religious connotations, and the title 'Miss' symbolises the respect Jane has for her, much like she does for religion and Christianity.Hope this helps =)

dirac1984
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
saint john, i am writing my dissertation on him. i propose that his name has an interesting connotation. for "saint" refers to his devotion to calvinism, and john must recall us the monster cousin---john reed--- jane has in gateshead. saint+john= a devoted calvinist+john reed.