PDA

View Full Version : one of the most beautiful things i've ever read

Cien
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I wonder that this isn't 10,000 times more popular than it is. I've only read it in English, but still -- it's amazing. It's like a depressive fairy tale (which isn't far from most fairy tales anyway), surreal and heady and intoxicating. It's the story of a preist who falls in love and is forever tortured by it; it's the story of the girl he is never able to fully love because he is always torn towards his idea of God.

Here are some quotes that I noted for their particular beauty:

So he left her at the end of the garden, sitting in the sunlight on the ground before a hive, whence the bees buzzed like golden berries round her neck, along her bare arms and in her hair, without thought of stinging her.

'I should like to be a child once more. I should like to be always a child, walking in the shadow of your gown. When I was quite little, I clasped my hands when I uttered the name of Mary. My cradle was white, my body was white, my every thought was white.

And I will rise to your mouth like a subtle flame

He loved God with a love that lifted him out of himself, out of all else, and wrapped him round with a dazzling radiance of glory. He was like a torch that burns away with blazing light. And death seemed to him to be only a great impulse of love.

Debrasue
07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Thank you for your review Cien!...I finally got around to reading this...and yes ..I have to agree with you...this story is just beautiful! Wish I had read it sooner....I need to read it again....

Emil Miller
08-17-2008, 03:44 AM
This may be a bit late in the day as I have only just discovered this website, but if you haven't yet read Zola's L'assommoir you have missed what, in my view, is the greatest of all his works;Therese Raquin notwithstanding.
It will break your heart but there are also some very amusing scenes in the novel.
Emil Zola was not just a giant of French writing but a major figure in world literature.