PDA

View Full Version : Raskolnikov

Inderjit Sanghe
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I need to compare Raskolnikov from "Crime and Punishment" with another literary character for an essay-I will be mainly be dealing with his theory on power, and how certain "great" men can use it-was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to who I should compare him too? it could be a comparsion of opposing views etc.

bazarov
02-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Then you need someone who is really good, I guess. Try with Alyosha Karamazov, he's just too good to be true.

Idril
02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Try with Alyosha Karamazov, he's just too good to be true.

That is very true! And he's someone who seems to have complete control over his subconscious while Raskilnikov is ruled by his. He, Alyosha, only allows himself good, happy thoughts, he never allows himself to think bad things of people, he never loses his temper...he's perfect. I find him quite insufferable because of it but he's a good counter-point to Raskilnikov.

Taliesin
02-25-2007, 01:54 PM
How about Lord Henry from "The Portrait of Dorian Gray"?

bazarov
02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
How about Lord Henry from "The Portrait of Dorian Gray"?

I think he had some bed effect on poor Dorian.

adinu
08-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Inderjit. In my opinion, comparing Raskolnikov to Grenuoille (Perfume) will make a great essay

Craig Fleming
01-30-2008, 05:23 PM
How about comparing him to Joe Christmas from Light In August. They are both very alienated characters trying to connect with society.