PDA

View Full Version : Links between Shaw and Wilde

Dark Lady
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I have been studying Shaw's play Man and Superman at universityand it struck me how alike Oscar Wilde he is in some of his witty statements. I also noticed a reference to the 'seven deadly virtues', which Wilde also humourously mentions in The Picture of Dorian Gray. Since they were born only a couple of years apart, and both Irishmen who moved to London and wrote a variety of texts, I thought that I would make reference to Wilde in a presentation I'm doing on Man and Superman. However, I don't know if they ever met one another or mentioned one another in anything they ever wrote (which would be helpful and interesting for my presentation). If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate their help.

stemper
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
They did know each other quite well. In fact, Shaw behaved with great generosity and foresight during Wilde's trials helping him as much as he could. You might check out Michael Holroyd's superb biography of Shaw which will answer all your questions.

They were both Irishmen but from very different backgrounds.

I'm an actor and am rehearsing a fanciful contemporary British comedy about Darwin. You might consider how The Origin of Species influenced Shaw in Man and Superman.