PDA

View Full Version : Meditation 17 Help

mzlnsoccer
02-15-2007, 12:31 AM
What is the meaning and the effectiveness of the metaphor of a man as a piece of a continent?

B-Mental
02-15-2007, 12:54 AM
That is one of my favorite quotes, and I'm a little confused as to what you don't understand about the meaning. All of humanity is one thing, and if one little piece is missing then the whole is less.

I think he is quite clear when he writes this, and I consider it effective...then again, you are asking questions. It is a minor part of the meditation really. The true essence is the tolling of the bells. Bells were rung to announce a passing or funeral... He basically says(and I paraphrase), ask not for whom the bell tolls, the bell tolls for thee. Or to revert it back to the metaphor the, continent has been reduced. I truly hope you have read this in its entirety, (you would believe how many people don't, but then ask questions).

mzlnsoccer
02-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks, I understood the bells tolling, but I must have skipped past the continent metaphor. I tried looking for it again, but couldn't find it. I was doing my assignment and out of my deduction, I thought that it ment that, Thanks though!

B-Mental
02-15-2007, 01:15 AM
anytime good luck, i believe its at the top of the second or third paragraph.