PDA

View Full Version : . Hard times? (Dickens) .

NSAM
02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
I am currently reading this novel (for school) and can acknowledge that the book, in accordance to it's theme and context within industrialised Britain, emphatically emphasises the monotony and lack of imagination of the time.
By using repeated motifs, metaphors and to an extent writing style to show this the feeling of repetativeness seems (to me) inescapable.

But does such forceful presentation of this theme make the book itself suffer?
I personally found the book difficult to read, reading and re-reading pages upon pages of recurring ideas, wading through complex and seemingly interminable descriptions whilst trying desperately to absorb the story.
Does the representation of monotony make the novel itself monotonous?
Or am i just resistant to read it because it is forced on my by the school?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

kilted exile
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, this is actually one of my favourite books. I see it as Dicken's at his sarcastic best (incredibly funny).

Your complaints however are similar to those which I have heard about Dicken's work in general on a fairly regular basis, in general people either love him or hate him (I dont know many people in the middle). Dicken's does have a tendency to be long winded in his descriptions and uses 10 words when you might as easily get by with 5, I have often heard him referred to as boring because of this. Reading the book for school probably adds to this.

NSAM
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks
i have tried to avoid coming across as complaining about the book, as in actual fact the conclusion and development within the story i found to be over the long term very rewarding. I just wondered about this idea applying in the "less eventful" sections of the novel. And i have tried to tiptoe around the word boring, which i could neever justify in totality.

geliot
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I find that if you read Dickens aloud it is much easier to grasp. Also, if you just read it and don't try too hard to grasp it (at least the first time around) the meaning comes through with the flow of the read. Dickens is verbose, but that is part of his appeal. Hard Times is a gem!

napy81
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately when something is compulsory to do.....we absolutely don't like it...but Dickens is fantastic...try to find much time for him

ymus
04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
hi.I'm wondering if you liked Hard Times.I did.:) What's your favorite part?Mine was at the end when every one was happy.:) Dickens is a great writer,but I prefer Harry Potter(he makes me laugh.)I think you should read a boring book for fun. You just might like it. P.S.:and I thought Hard Times was boring! oh well.You never know until you read a book.

C. Earnshaw
06-16-2007, 07:51 AM
hi! I'm reading Hard times now, and it's really interesting.:) I like Dickens very much,:yawnb: and his sarcastic way to describe the situations is funny.:D how boring and depressing city was coketown! :sick:

doll
07-13-2008, 01:52 AM
I have yet to read this. however ur correct forced to read can cloud open mindness as well as the ability to feel and experience the book. i hope to read it to reground myselfish ways. what little i have read shows me i am afraid of the truth of reality not afraid of truth.

kelby_lake
04-17-2013, 03:48 PM
It's an interesting question, whether one can write a book about monotony whilst avoiding monotony themselves. I really enjoyed how depressing and grim Coketown was. It's just so ridiculously depressing and stereotypical Northern grimness that it makes you laugh.