PDA

View Full Version : emily dickinson!! i need help!

babyjj890
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
i have to come up with a preliminary thesis about emily dickinson for a research paper.. and this is all i have, "Emily Dickinson's reclusive personality has affected her writing a particular way." "a particular way" is the part i need to change, my teacher told me to think about HOW it affected her writing and think about the themes of many of her poems. my outline is due tomarrow and i havent even came up with my thesis statement! PLEASE HELP ME! any bit or info will be greatly appreciated!

Logos
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
There are no definitive reasons as to 'why' Dickinson lived the life she did, or what the exact reasons were as to her reclusive personality and lifestyle, but there are many clues in her biography

http://www.online-literature.com/dickinson/

that could lead to hypotheses as to 'how' her situation reflected itself in her writing: (ramifications of humiliation at Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, family's religion, raised with Victorian patriarchal family values and morals, brother married her best friend, Bright's disease etc.) So once you pick a theme for why (religion, Victorian era, illnesses, etc.) then you could discuss the how :)