PDA

View Full Version : What is St. James exactly?

sciencefan
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
St James's is mentioned at least 5 times in Pride and Prejudice, and while at first I was satisfied with sort of guessing at its significance from the context,
I would really appreciate a more thorough understanding of what Sir William Lucas could probably mean right here:

Chapter 22 (http://www.online-literature.com/austen/prideprejudice/22/)

"Lady Lucas began directly to calculate with more interest than the matter had ever excited before, how many years longer Mr. Bennet was likely to live; and Sir William gave it as his decided opinion that whenever Mr. Collins should be in possession of the Longbourn estate, it would be highly expedient that both he and his wife should make their appearance at St. James's."

I don't understand the significance of "making an appearance" at St. James's.
I don't know what St. James's is, besides the fact that it was the place where he was knighted-
or became a "Sir" if those are not the same thing.

aswohl
02-22-2007, 04:23 PM
St. James is the Court of St James. To status-seeking Collins and others to be presented at court - - to be invited into the royal circle, however peripherally and ceremonially - - is, of course, the acme of social success. Hope this helps.

sciencefan
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
St. James is the Court of St James. To status-seeking Collins and others to be presented at court - - to be invited into the royal circle, however peripherally and ceremonially - - is, of course, the acme of social success. Hope this helps.Thank you very much for your response.
It was their version of gaining "fame"?

Was there a list, so you could see who was, and who wasn't?
Or was it a matter of being invited to social events?

mazz
04-02-2007, 05:35 AM
"The Court of St. James's Palace refers to the palace now used as the administrative centre of royal business. It was the official royal residence from 1702 until 1837, when Buckingham Palace took over the role."
I think you had to attain a certain status before you could be presented at "court", which is why Sir William was so proud of himself. There is that P word again....

sciencefan
04-02-2007, 06:58 AM
"The Court of St. James's Palace refers to the palace now used as the administrative centre of royal business. It was the official royal residence from 1702 until 1837, when Buckingham Palace took over the role."
I think you had to attain a certain status before you could be presented at "court", which is why Sir William was so proud of himself. There is that P word again....
Ah. Now THAT explains it!
So being invited to St. James' would be the modern day equivalent to being invited to Buckingham Palace- which would be quite an honor indeed!