PDA

View Full Version : Maggie, Girl of the Streets

Psycheinaboat
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
There is a problem with chapters 17 and 18 of Stephen Crane's Maggie, Girl of the Streets. Chapter 18 repeats chapter 17 and I am not certain 17 is complete.

:)

Virgil
02-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Do you mean, Psych, that the words are exactly the same or just that the same thing happens? Perhaps it's just your edition. I'm not sure where mine is. Oh, wait do you mean the electronic version here on lit net?

That's an intersting little short novel by Crane. Read it many years ago in undregrad.

Psycheinaboat
02-04-2007, 01:18 PM
The version I downloaded onto my PDA had problems, so I came here to view the Lit Net version and found the same flaws. It is like whoever typed the original mixed up some of the paragraphs. Chapter 18 seems complete, so I think the problem is that parts of Chapter 18 have been accidentally inserted into Ch.17. I was mostly concerned that I was missing something because Ch. 17 was not complete.

Virgil
02-04-2007, 01:22 PM
How do you like the novella?

Logos
02-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes there is some repeating chaps 17/18.. the same text as on gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext96/mgots12.txt
Thank you I will look into it.

Psycheinaboat
02-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Thank you, Logos. :)

Virgil, I just finished up and I liked it quite a bit. What did you think of the fact that Maggie's brother and mother, who seemed cruel and less worthy of good fortune, outlived the more virtuous Maggie? I guess they were better prepared for survival. Maggie was a creature too pure for her world in many ways.

It was a thought provoking piece from the historical angle and it certainly showed how vulnerable women were before the societal changes we enjoy the benefits of.

Virgil
02-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Thank you, Logos. :)

Virgil, I just finished up and I liked it quite a bit. What did you think of the fact that Maggie's brother and mother, who seemed cruel and less worthy of good fortune, outlived the more virtuous Maggie? I guess they were better prepared for survival. Maggie was a creature too pure for her world in many ways.

It was a thought provoking piece from the historical angle and it certainly showed how vulnerable women were before the societal changes we enjoy the benefits of.

Well, Psyche, it is probaby over 20 years since I read it. So details I'm afraid are out of my brain. However, it fits in with the sense that Crane has that life is random and that deserving people are as likely to have catastrphic events as less deserving. But I do think Crane was ahead of most in the understanding of poor women's plight. He studied life from actual rather than some theoretical understanding. He also married a woman who was at one time a prostitute.

Psycheinaboat
02-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Crane's life sounds interesting and he is one author I know very little about. I will have to read more about him.

Virgil
02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Crane's life sounds interesting and he is one author I know very little about. I will have to read more about him.

His life might be more interesting than his fiction. ;)

cassandra.v1
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I am currently working on a research paper based on Maggie: Girl of the Streets, and the topic on motherhood described in it. This in mind, I must take into consideration the reactions and behavioral patterns of Mary, and analyze how her actions, along with Crane's use of language, imply about the definition of motherhood. I could really use any second opinions on the topic as I'm having a bit of writer's block. Any opinions or advice or just anything you're willing to share would be amazingly appreciated. Thanks so much. :D

- Cassandra

RJbibliophil
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
Despite the dismal outlook, I did enjoy Maggie, although I needed Sparknotes to fill in the blanks for me.