PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Scamming

megs180
02-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys!
I found this on yahoo, um..alright...so i'm a teen writer. I don't know much about copying writing your own poetry, or publishers or ANYTHING..you have to help me out here..i'm desperate. Alright, so I submitted a poem to VOICESNET.com, it was a youth contest. They emailed me and said they chose my poem for their book. Now, let's see...I have to pay for the book. I didn't copywrite my poem before I sent it, and if I don't send them a snail mail thingy..lol..i'm too lazy to write anything smart here..so bareee with me..ahha! Anyways, back to what I was saying..they wouldn't publish it. NOWWWW...is this another one of these poetry.com scamming websites..has anyone heard of this website? Please...if anyone could respond to this, it would help me out big time. Thanks alot..oh and also, they said on their website that this is not Vanity Press, what does that mean?

Megan

star blue
02-18-2004, 10:45 AM
hehe, that was only a joke.

amuse
02-18-2004, 01:25 PM
your jokes are abominable.

do you ever stop to think of the person who asked the question who then goes on to read that crap? obviously not.

star blue
02-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm really sorry.

amuse
02-18-2004, 02:13 PM
roger.

star blue
02-18-2004, 02:32 PM
I could really offend someone if I wanted to, though.

StephenFryer
02-19-2004, 01:35 PM
I don't know whether voices is a scam like poetry.com and the others.
But I do know that there are people out there making money out of the likes of you and me, by publishing our poems on condition that we buy their books. The leeches. Don't go there. Maybe you will get some poems published and not get paid anything and, for a poet just starting out, maybe that's fair. But paying for it? No way.
Good luck with your stuff, though.

subterranean
02-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by star blue
I'm really sorry.

I don't know that you could said sorry. Good for you :o

Sorry to hear that Meg. I experienced the same thing with you. The villan is Interntional Libary of Poetry, but I suppose you're already know about it. I don't know whether there are other stupid orgs like this, but next time we should be more careful with our 'invention and creation' :)

star blue
02-20-2004, 01:13 PM
right now I can think of three reasons why I should be sorry . . . two of which are illegit.

fayefaye
02-21-2004, 05:02 AM
ahhhhhh az. Getting blue to apologise, I'm impressed. :) Maybe it'd mean more if he were sincere once in a while. Like once in a blue moon would be an improvement.

the captain
02-21-2004, 12:58 PM
did you stay up all night thinking of that?

megs180
02-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Haha! Alright...thanks guys so much for all the replies. As for star blue..it's hilarious that he would crack 'jokes' and try and make others feel bad. Seriously, I really don't care whether Star Blue says sorry or not..all he/she is to me is someone on the internet whom I don't know, but thanks everyone. I'll watch out next time and just to let you know, I asked about voices, my english teacher said it was alright, then I went to a person who knows alot about copywrite in my school and I asked him..and he said it was alright. And voices is great because I get to retain my copywrite..

bbq13
02-21-2004, 11:04 PM
hmm... i was just wondering... how do you get a copyright??

Admin
02-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by bbq13
hmm... i was just wondering... how do you get a copyright??

Every creative work you produce is automatically copyrighted the moment it enters a fixed form (when you write it down).

fayefaye
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by the captain
did you stay up all night thinking of that?

TWO nights. :D Get it right man!

fayefaye
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Actually it just came me like some flash of inspiration. maybe me and stan should teach a class on generic one liners and mangled cliches to throw at the captain. OR, I can be the new head of the anti-the captain coalition. We'll meet on Tuesday nights to discuss ways to eradicate you. THEN, when you least expect it, we'll grab you from behind, tar and feather you, and lead you to the scaffold before the bloodthirsty masses to hang you- just for being you.

[:)]

fayefaye
02-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Then I can break out my party hat and streamers and dance around the equinox. ;)
'aye aye cap'n'
'pirates off the starboard bow!'
'arrrrr matey! I'll have a hawaiian, hold the pineapple. and an arrrr c cola!'
'If you prick me, do i not bleed?? If I eat pineapple, do I not choke??'
you read that play, capn? I think it's swedish, pretty famous too.
That 'if you prick me do I not bleed' thing, I think it's said by a character called the captain, only I really can't remember, I'm probably getting it mixed up with something else. i don't really want to see you being hung, though you seem to be doing a pretty good job of doing that to yourself. Where ARE you now?? Burnt alive by angry fire and pickaxe wielding village people?

momosaballerina
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
So Is Poetry.com Really A Scam? Please Let Me Know Cuz I Have Posted A Lot Of Poems.

Logos
03-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Yes.

Please see this topic:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174