PDA

View Full Version : Romeo and Juliet terrorized by their families?

sumalan monica
01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
The story became a legend.
One upon a time a young man met a lovely young girl.Simple,too simple i may say.Love was in the air,but not for their families,who were against their marriage.
Fate,destiny-who knows?
Stars make the charcters be in the wong place at the wrong time.Love was not enough-Do you agree with that?
Shakespeare``s critics say that Romeo and Juliet is not a typical Shakespearean tragedy like Hamlet or King Lear because the final catastrophe is not caused by the nature and the actions of the central character,but by inimical fate.
Tender lyricism of the lovers is opposed to the cruel laws of revenge dominating the behaviour of their families.
The price of the ancient feud between the leading families was paid.Reconciliation of the opposites of the royal families is the play`s conclusion.
A sad love story,soft for the readers`S eyes.
What about acting Romeo and Juliet in cyberspace

Redzeppelin
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Shakespeare``s critics say that Romeo and Juliet is not a typical Shakespearean tragedy like Hamlet or King Lear because the final catastrophe is not caused by the nature and the actions of the central character,but by inimical fate.

I'm not so sure I agree with the critics. Tragic heroes generally possess some sort of character flaw that leads them into decisions that lead directly to their death. Romeo and Juliet are fairly impulsive - they meet, are engaged and married within 24 hours! I'd say that's pretty fast moving. Had they waited a bit, had Romeo responded differently to Tybalt's insults, if Romeo had waited to hear from Friar Lawrence before making his suicide plan - well, the play might have come out differently.