PDA

View Full Version : The Taming of the Shrew: Act III

Scheherazade
01-29-2007, 09:09 PM
We will be reading Act III during this week (January 29 - February 5).

Please post your comments and questions here.

Scene I (http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/shrew/6/)

Scene II (http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/shrew/7/)

Virgil
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I apologize for dropping the ball on this. I've been tied up. I'll try to read and comment on Act III shortly.

Redzeppelin
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm going to repose the questions I posted from Act 2 because nobody picked them up and I think they're worth considering (and they are relevant to Act 3). Here goes:

Act 2 is one long scene - the first meeting between Petruchio and Kate - are they attracted to each other? Why does he agree to marry her after meeting her: is it the money, or something else? Are these two a good match?

Act 3 is the wedding day: are you outraged by Petruchio's behavior? Is Kate the "victim" in this situation? Do you feel sorry for her? Is the wedding funny? Did Kate deserve to have a wedding day like this?

Any question will do - what think you?

papayahed
03-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm going to repose the questions I posted from Act 2 because nobody picked them up and I think they're worth considering (and they are relevant to Act 3). Here goes:

Act 2 is one long scene - the first meeting between Petruchio and Kate - are they attracted to each other? Why does he agree to marry her after meeting her: is it the money, or something else? Are these two a good match?

Act 3 is the wedding day: are you outraged by Petruchio's behavior? Is Kate the "victim" in this situation? Do you feel sorry for her? Is the wedding funny? Did Kate deserve to have a wedding day like this?

Any question will do - what think you?

I wasn't particulary outraged by Petruchios behave, however it wasn't my wedding day.... I felt slightly sorrow for Kate, but I don't think she was the type to put much stock in a "regular" wedding (all that pomp and ceremony). I bet if Petruchio hadn't acted in that fashion Kate would have stepped up and would have ruined the ceremony in some way. In effect Petruchio beat Kate to the punch. Petruchio seemed to carry this out throught out the rest of the Act.

Redzeppelin
03-04-2007, 01:44 PM
In effect Petruchio beat Kate to the punch. Petruchio seemed to carry this out throught out the rest of the Act.

I think you're right - he went first - kind of a "pre-emptive" strike of sorts.

xman
04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm behind on this one, but I want to catch up so ...

Act 2 is one long scene - the first meeting between Petruchio and Kate - are they attracted to each other?
I believe so, at least he is to her. Hers may come later out of her newfound humilty.

Why does he agree to marry her after meeting her: is it the money, or something else?
The money is merely an assurance to Petruchio that it's worth his time. I think he's arroused by Kate's spirit and the thought of focussing her energies.

Are these two a good match?
I say so.

Act 3 is the wedding day: are you outraged by Petruchio's behavior?
No.

Is Kate the "victim" in this situation?
Sure. A wedding day is veiwed by even the most liberal of brides as the most important day of her life. Petruchio is intentianally taking that [B]right[/BI] away from her.

Do you feel sorry for her?
Not in the least.

Is the wedding funny?
Don't you think so? I admit it's much funnier to see done well than to read.

Did Kate deserve to have a wedding day like this?
She had it commin'.

X