PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Arnav
01-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi I am new to this site and i also happen to have a question on Joyce. Well Joyce was born in the 19th cent. yet he is regarded as a modern writer and not as a Victorian. So wat is the essential criteria of being labelled as a modern writer? In other words what is modernism and how is it different from Victorian literature? Thank you for ur help.

dadic
02-23-2007, 12:09 AM
well joyce influencd evry gud modern author. i think he didnt belong 2 victorian lit coz he was irish! victorians r authors like forster, lawrence, henry james etc bt joyce overpassd all them! his works r the fundaments of modern prose.

katdad
04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Joyce was indeed born in the 19th century. But his writing is not only "modern" -- his great novel Ulysses forms the true beginning of 20th century literature. Ulysses in fact defined modern literature, and everything that followed has come from it.

Ward Brady
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Modernism is to literature what abstract paintings are to art; thus characterized by oblique references to reality rather than meeting it square on. Also the timing of the events is not necessarily in chronical order. Also the narrator and viewpoint are not always contiguous. The "Why bother?" is best discovered under Faulkner.

JBI
09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Not to mention the fact that he is slightly passed the Victorian era in terms of timing. (since he was born towards the end of the 19th, and started publishing his writing in the 20th).