PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Adventures of the Speckled Band

RooRPercdom
01-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I have some questions on The Adventures of the Speckled Band

1. What observations lead Holmes to deduce Helen Stoner's method of transportation to his sitting room?

2. What two sounds does miss stoner hear on the night of Julia's death?

3. What is unusual about the Bell-rope?

4. What is "The Speckled Band?"

5. What startles Miss Stoner about Holme's observation?

6. What three events cause Miss Stoner to fear for her life and prompt her urgent visit to Holmes?

7. What facts about the furnishings in Miss Stoner's Bedroom suggest a horrible crime to Holmes?

8. What "erroneuous conclusion" reminds Holmes of the dangers of reasoning from "Insufficient data"

9: What kind of man is Dr.Grimesby Roylott? What motivates him to commit such horrible crimes?

10: What is the nature of the relationship between Holmes and Watson?
What Traits make the two men such good companions?

holmesian
02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
1. What observations lead Holmes to deduce Helen Stoner's method of transportation to his sitting room?
he dudeced about the train by seeing the second half of a return ticket in the palm of her left glove. and how he deduced that she travelled by a dog-cart is evident from the following quote:

"The left arm of your jacket is spattered with mud in no less than seven places. The marks are perfectly fresh. There is no vehicle save a dog-cart which throws up mud in that way, and then only when you sit on the left-hand side of the driver."

3. What is unusual about the Bell-rope?
the fact that it is not connected to any bell wire. it was a dummy.

. What is "The Speckled Band?"
the snake. the snake had a spotted pattern on it i guess.

7. What facts about the furnishings in Miss Stoner's Bedroom suggest a horrible crime to Holmes?
the facts that the bell pull was a dummy, the ventilator that opens into another room rather than into the outside, and the bed that was clamped to the floor so that it couldn't be moved.

8. What "erroneuous conclusion" reminds Holmes of the dangers of reasoning from "Insufficient data"
look at the following quote:

"I had," said he, "come to an entirely erroneous conclusion which shows, my dear Watson, how dangerous it always is to reason from insufficient data. The presence of the gypsies, and the use of the word band, which was used by the poor girl, no doubt to explain the appearance which she had caught a hurried glimpse of by the light of her match, were sufficient to put me upon an entirely wrong scent."
what he meant is that he erroneously suspected the gypsies. he thought the word "band" referred to the band of gypsies and the word "speckled" referred to the spotted handkerchief some of the gypsies wore over their heads.

9: What kind of man is Dr.Grimesby Roylott? What motivates him to commit such horrible crimes?
if his daughters got married, he won't have control over their money (which they inherited from their mother) any more. so he had to stop them from marrying. he chose to do that by murdering them.