PDA

View Full Version : Paradise lost the movie

fiona_2104
01-18-2007, 04:45 AM
I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on the movie thats been made of paradise lost! would anyone actually want ot see it?

aeroport
01-18-2007, 03:18 PM
A... film? Oh dear...

grace86
01-18-2007, 03:22 PM
There's a movie???

Virgil
01-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I would love to see the movie. However, I don't know if the work translates well to a film medium. It's mostly poetry. Beautiful poetry, but characters are limited and somewhat two dimensional. Not that much drama occurs for a two hour movie. None the less I would love to see it. I was only a so-so fan of Paradise Lost until I got an audio book reading of the poem and just fell in love with Milton's use of language.

bluevictim
01-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I just hope they don't cast Brad Pitt as Satan and Orlando Bloom as Adam.

Virgil
01-18-2007, 04:33 PM
I just hope they don't cast Brad Pitt as Satan and Orlando Bloom as Adam.

:lol: Or Paris Hilton as Eve. :D

bluevictim
01-18-2007, 04:35 PM
:lol: Or Paris Hilton as Eve. :DNo, she has to be one of the fallen angels so that when she's in hell she can say, "that's hot".

grace86
01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
No, she has to be one of the fallen angels so that when she's in hell she can say, "that's hot".

That is cute bluevictim :lol:

fiona_2104
01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
yeah theres a film in production, legendary pictures are creating it, meant to be coming out 2007. Think its more baised on the novel rather than the original poem, which kind of defets the purpose. BUt hay. Just wanted to see if people liked the idea and would consider watching it. whats people opinion on forms of litreture being made into movies in general?

Virgil
01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
yeah theres a film in production, legendary pictures are creating it, meant to be coming out 2007. Think its more baised on the novel rather than the original poem, which kind of defets the purpose. BUt hay. Just wanted to see if people liked the idea and would consider watching it. whats people opinion on forms of litreture being made into movies in general?

What novel are you talking about? I've never heard of a novel called Paradse Lost. Do you mean it was based on the Book of Genesis?

bluevictim
01-21-2007, 12:16 AM
I found a page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484138/) on IMDB about it, and an article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/12/wparad12.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/12/ixworld.html) about it from 2005. According to the article, "Hollywood producers aim to keep the screen version faithful to Milton's 1667 original"; that's pretty ambitious. The people who made Troy were smart enough to call it a movie that was "inspired" by Homer's epics, rather than a screen version that is faithful to the original. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Virgil
01-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey that's great. I wonder what kind of reviews it got. I would love to see it.

bluevictim
01-21-2007, 12:48 AM
It hasn't come out yet, and based on the paucity of information, I wouldn't be too surprised if it got scrapped.

fiona_2104
01-23-2007, 05:48 AM
ah ha and what do you think of the flm and BBC adaptation of Pride and prjudice?

bluevictim
01-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I haven't seen either of those adaptations of P&P. It seems to me that it would be easier to adapt P&P to the screen than Paradise Lost.

grace86
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I haven't seen either of those adaptations of P&P. It seems to me that it would be easier to adapt P&P to the screen than Paradise Lost.

:nod: Yes, Paradise Lost - if kept to the book would be quite difficult. It is a seperate being from P&P.

Nutz
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
-from paradiselost.org-

library

Well, it’s been almost a year since we learned that Paradise Lost was to be turned into a movie. We’ve all been anxiously waiting to hear more, but the entertainment grapevine has been frustratingly silent on the subject.
Finally, on March 4, 2007, the New York Times published an update by Michael Joseph Gross, which we would have gladly reproduced for you here in its entirety, but the New York Times wants 750 dollars for us to be allowed to do so. No offense, but even all you wonderful people out there are not worth that.

Ivana331
05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't go see it, it just doesn't fit the hollywood scheme! I'll keep to the book.

Dark_Star3001
07-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm reading it right now, it plays out like a movie. The ultimate underdog drama, Satan Vs Jehovah. I think it would be a GREAT epic film in the hands of the right director, maybe Olive Stone.

The way I see those characters as I'm reading it is

Lucifer - Adrian Grenier
Archangel Rapheal - Owen Wilson
Archangel Michael - Brad Pitt (Seriously, look at him in Achilles...that's Michael to a T)
Voice of Jehovah - Morgan Freeman
Adam - Shia LaBeouf ( The kid from Transformers and Indiana Jones).
Eve - Scarlett Johansson

That's how I see it in my head anyway, as I'm reading it.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/The_Rick3001/paradise_lost84.jpg

TheGrandMoose
07-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Hollywood should keep it's filthy hands off Paradise Lost!!!
Ahem...a bit opinionated I know, sorry about that - but the point of Paradise Lost is the poetry, you'd be better off just making a film about Satan's rebellion, basing it on the Bible and calling it something else, that being unless you wanted to make a more artistic film than Hollywood is usually comfortable with, but I don't know that Milton would be well-suited to a bombastic Hollywood epic. Just my personal thoughts.

Dark Muse
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
It is hard to imagine it as a movie though if a moive did come out I probably would go and see it.

J.D.
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll go see it. There's such a thing as making cinematic poetry. They won't match Milton, but I think they can make this work. Remember 300. There isn't a whole lot there besides battles, and they made it work.

blazeofglory
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I am excited to see that movie as I have read the epic.

Abdiel
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Dark_Star3001;592032] I'm reading it right now, it plays out like a movie. The ultimate underdog drama, Satan Vs Jehovah. I think it would be a GREAT epic film in the hands of the right director, maybe Olive Stone.

The way I see those characters as I'm reading it is

Lucifer - Adrian Grenier
Archangel Rapheal - Owen Wilson
Archangel Michael - Brad Pitt (Seriously, look at him in Achilles...that's Michael to a T)
Voice of Jehovah - Morgan Freeman
Adam - Shia LaBeouf ( The kid from Transformers and Indiana Jones).
Eve - Scarlett Johansson

That's how I see it in my head anyway, as I'm reading it.

Hah! I'm glad you already have the whole cast planned out, and I respect your decision, but seriously, Shia LeBeouf as Adam? Seriously? :lol: He can't act, and he certainly can't play a character as serious, humanely gentle, and profoundly afflicted as Adam, and I don't think Owen Wilson can pull off Raphael because most associate him with comedic roles. And Brad Pitt as Michael...I see Michael as solemn and serious, powerful and graceful, and just plain cool, and Pitt's got the looks, but not that sense of solemness.

My opinion (and that's all it is, really), would be that the cast should be made up of unknown actors, one's whose faces most of us wouldn't be familiar with. One wrong actor in a role and that movie is blown (since the poem doesn't have a huge cast of main characters, just God, Adam, Eve, Satan, and a few good and bad angels).

solankie
04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
What was the rifle used by Brad Pitt in Spy Game? I have a vague guess that it's a Remington of some sort. If anyone has a model, I would greatly appreciate it.

dark desire
08-12-2012, 02:45 AM
If we were to expect something of value from this project, it will have to be a very ambitious project. Some out of ordinary animation and cinematography will be needed. The movie cannot be a regular 3 act hollywood deal. It has to transcend it. The film should feel like poetry. I think narration will be extremely important. I can't imagine what tone I would like in the narrator. The drama element must be kept low. A feel of flowing from brighter (and boring) to darker, more intense and more interesting time. It will be a tragedy and yet not really a tragedy.

Just some random thoughts.

astrum
07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
If we were to expect something of value from this project, it will have to be a very ambitious project. Some out of ordinary animation and cinematography will be needed. The movie cannot be a regular 3 act hollywood deal. It has to transcend it. The film should feel like poetry. I think narration will be extremely important. I can't imagine what tone I would like in the narrator. The drama element must be kept low. A feel of flowing from brighter (and boring) to darker, more intense and more interesting time. It will be a tragedy and yet not really a tragedy.

Indeed.
To be remotely successful, the movie must be more ambitious than even Cameron's Titanic and Selznick's Gone with the Wind.