PDA

View Full Version : why is romeo and julliet still populer now?

me123456
01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
can any1 plz tell me why romeo and julliet still populer now?

Veva
01-15-2007, 02:41 PM
I belive that it's because that there has never been a story of more pain and sorrow that of Romeo and Julliet.
:blush:

RobinHood3000
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
My money's on the innuendos. :cool: That, and it's been used as an analogy for true love even by those who've never read it (and evidently don't know the ending...), so the title persists, and that in itself helps keep R&J on the brain.

Redzeppelin
01-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah - the puns are great - it's a blast to teach to kids.

I think R&J is timeless because it does contain some of Shakespeare's best love poetry. I mean, it's not one of Shakespeare's "mature" plays (it was early in his career), but few of his plays (esp tragedies) contain such extended love scenes as 2.2. Most of the time, romantic love is kind of a subplot in the tragedies (if it is present at all). R&J is actually a more violent than loving play, but it is - perhaps - the tragedy most focused on a romantic relationship. We may connect more with it than some of the other tragedies because we've all been in love - but not all of us have killed a king, been betrayed by our two evil daughters or had to avenge a parent's death at the request of that dead parent's ghost.

Jean-Baptiste
01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
We may connect more with it than some of the other tragedies because we've all been in love - but not all of us have killed a king, been betrayed by our two evil daughters or had to avenge a parent's death at the request of that dead parent's ghost.

:lol: I thought those were simply rites of passage that everyone must go through! :lol:

Sorry, I actually have nothing to contribute here. I think it's a good play, which may be enough explanation for its longevity.

Adudaewen
01-19-2007, 03:51 AM
I always thought of Romeo and Juliette as a true expression of teenaged passion and love, and the fact that it is beautifully written helps. But also, I think that a lot of people still cling to stories like R&J because it could never happen now. I mean think about it; there are no real obstacles to love anymore. Nowadays you can pretty much marry (or shack up with, not even marry) anyone that you want to. Its just a fresh breeze in our stagnant imaginations to think that a story like this could occur. To fight, struggle and eventually die for love. Its passion that practically doesn't exist anymore. Passion, like concocting an extreme and dangerous plan like faking your own suicide just to be with the person that you love. And on the other hand, returning to a city you've been banished from just to kill yourself at your love's grave because you can't be together. Its moving, touching, beautiful.

Blah blah, sorry, I'll shut up ;)

humblelion
01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
the story Romeo and Julliet is still popular today cus,in histry of writen and of story told ,
there has never been any story of a kind ,,,which we know the authour of no other person of Willian S. in his illustrious written wrote about a story which for decades have stood to be remenberd.So i think the way the story was told is the reason it still stays today in peoples mind................Humble

kelby_lake
01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
It's probably the most simple one (yes, the death plot is a bit tricksy but there aren't too many minor characters and sub-plots) therefore one can project a lot onto it.

Dipen Guha
02-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Other dramatists had worked the story before Shakespeare, but the men and women were lifeless dolls. Shakespeare took the crude, commonplace material, placed its elements in the crucible of his genius, and when the mixture boiled above the fire of his passion a host of living creatures, each distinct, loving, fighting, talking, in joy and sorrow, poured forth, brimming over with thought, passion, and action, and mingled together to weave the tragic story. It was much to animate the chief personages of the tale, Romeo and Juliet, till they are for ever young, for ever loving; it was more perhaps, for it was of a greater difficulty, to animate with a quick-eyed life and character the minor personages of the play.( Acknowledgement :-Stopford A. Brooke)

Paulclem
02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I always thought of Romeo and Juliette as a true expression of teenaged passion and love, and the fact that it is beautifully written helps. But also, I think that a lot of people still cling to stories like R&J because it could never happen now. I mean think about it; there are no real obstacles to love anymore. Nowadays you can pretty much marry (or shack up with, not even marry) anyone that you want to. Its just a fresh breeze in our stagnant imaginations to think that a story like this could occur. To fight, struggle and eventually die for love. Its passion that practically doesn't exist anymore. Passion, like concocting an extreme and dangerous plan like faking your own suicide just to be with the person that you love. And on the other hand, returning to a city you've been banished from just to kill yourself at your love's grave because you can't be together. Its moving, touching, beautiful.

Blah blah, sorry, I'll shut up ;)

Interestingly, I have taught this to Asian second language speakers who can relate to this very well. The opposition to marriage/ relationships exists in the context of arranged marriages on the Asian subcontinent and elsewhere. A lot of Bollywood plots have R&J elements in them - the opposition of the matriarch to the perfect match etc.

As for western connections, there is still enough tension generated within families for this kind of story to be relevant - relationshps don't happen in a vacuum.

Also it has some fantastic love poetry within it too as Redzeppelin has noted.

O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear;
Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows,
As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.

Capulet's words on Juliet's death are beautiful too.

Death lies on her like an untimely frost
Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.