PDA

View Full Version : March Book Nominations

Admin
02-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Please nominate books for March here.

IWilKikU
02-04-2004, 05:34 PM
IWilKikU here by nominates "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller. Please help him knock this one off of his "to read list". :D :D

subterranean
02-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Oh I have that book.. :D.

Tried to read it, but never finished!!

How bout George Elliot's Silas Marner. I just bought it, though I don't know whether it is interesting or not.

Sindhu
02-08-2004, 03:53 AM
I have read Catch 22- Ok for one reading, but I really don't want to read it again and certainly am not keen on discussing it- my funny vibes don't seem to be on the same wave length as that books'!:(
Silas Marner? Ok, I guess-
My two suggestions- Milan Kundera's Unberable Lightness of Being ( there might be a major objection to that being not all that easy to get)
Conrad's Lord Jim OR Heart of Darkness (I prefer the scond, but it might be a bit over discussed;)

Koa
02-08-2004, 01:32 PM
I had never heard of that Catch 22 thing before I found this forum...I'm actually curious about it.
The Milan Kundera thing is interesting too, it's famous and I want to see with my own eyes what's it all about, plus it's high time I read some Czech author...

(yeah very constructive post :D)

IWilKikU
02-08-2004, 07:13 PM
I would do "Heart of Darkness". Its been sitting on my shelf collecting dust and I keep hearing how great it is.

subterranean
02-08-2004, 10:25 PM
I never heard about the Kundera thing. Is it worth reading? If yes, I'll start hunting right away..
I'll still vote for 22. I have it already (so I don't have to look for it again) and I feel like reading it now! Beside it said that it's one of the best satirical work. Now, I think I never read about satirical stuff

The Observer said " The greatest satirical work in English since Erewhon? Anyone happened to know what/who is Erewhon?

star blue
02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
how about me talk pretty one day by david sedaris? I hear it's pretty alright.

I'll join in if we read it.

Dick Diver
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by subterranean
I never heard about the Kundera thing. Is it worth reading? If yes, I'll start hunting right away..
I'll still vote for 22. I have it already (so I don't have to look for it again) and I feel like reading it now! Beside it said that it's one of the best satirical work. Now, I think I never read about satirical stuff

The Observer said " The greatest satirical work in English since Erewhon? Anyone happened to know what/who is Erewhon?
Apparently it is a satirical work by Samuel Butler and Erewhon is an anagram of Nowhere.....

subterranean
02-09-2004, 10:30 PM
oh, I see

Thanks

Isagel
02-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I would like Catch 22 as well. I´ve read it in swedish years ago, but it ´s always differnt to read the original version of a book. I really hope I´ll get time to read this month. I´ve missed all the books so far :-(.

Dick Diver
02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Heart Of Darkness is bloody great and as it is a novella, short - it is the perfect introduction to Conrad.

crisaor
02-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I'd go with Heart of Darkness too.

Stanislaw
02-10-2004, 11:05 PM
How about 1984?

Or how about the futurological congress by Stanislaw Lem?

Or how about a short storie, like the Bicentenial Man by Isaac Asimov?

Lara
02-11-2004, 07:23 AM
If a newbie may, Heart of Darkness is my choice.

IWilKikU
02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
whoah Stan, if you nom more than one at a time your going to spread your noms thin and none of them will win. Save some for next month.

Stanislaw
02-11-2004, 10:24 PM
okeday.

Hows about 1984.

What is this heart of darkness thing any how?:confused:

( yes I am ignorant):)

Sindhu
02-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Heart of Darkness seems to be getting more supporters than I even dared to hope for! Well, we'll have to wait till after the voting:)

papayahed
02-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi, I'm new too. Can I vote for Heart of Darkness also? I've never read it but I've always been intrigued.

Sindhu
02-13-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Stanislaw
okeday.

What is this heart of darkness thing any how?:confused:

( yes I am ignorant):)
Heart of Darkness is by Conrad and it's kind of about european colonisation in Africa. It operates at a lot of other levels though. But I'm not going to spill any more details till I see if it wins the poll or not!;)

atiguhya padma
02-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Subterranean,

Erewhon is a rather weird Victorian utopian/dystopian novel. It was a long time ago that I read it. I remember that it took patients and prisoners and turned them around. For instance, those that were ill were punished for being so, and those that committed crimes were medically treated for their malfunctioning conscience.

Regarding Heart of Darkness: a great novella. It has one of the most atmospheric beginnings. I think Nicholas Roeg directed a film closely based on the novella a few years ago. Tim Roth and, if I remember correctly, John Malkovitch (who I might say is a very fine actor), starred in it.

subterranean
02-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Thanks AP :)..Sounds interesting to read.
You're a walking encylopedia or something like that